Conflicting JobMax Oscillating Multi Tool Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflicting JobMax Oscillating Multi Tool Reviews

I'm looking to add a larger cordless oscillating multi tool to my arsenal. I already have a 12v one in another brand that I'm quite fond of, but I'd like something a little bigger for larger jobs. I've been looking into the JobMax Octane oscillating multi-tool. But the reviews have me very confused.

Reviews for the JobMax + oscillating multi-tool head kit seem to be glowing. Most people love it.

Reviews for the oscillating multi-tool head alone (which appears the be the exact same one that's included in the above kit) all complain that the tool-less blade mechanism strips on a whim and isn't included in the lifetime warranty. Also, there's complaints that parts to fix it aren't available.

So which is it? Is it really great? Or really bad?

I have the 12v 18v and 18v Octane. I use them at home and at work. I have a few different heads for them to but I have not noticed a difference between the Octane and non Octane oscillating head. They are coming out with just the oscillating tool that is 18v non Octane because the Octane line is dead. Should be out this year.

Comment

I have the original corded and 18V Jobmax tools.The original 3AH corded model.
      I also have an assortment of heads and optional accessory tools.

I have never had an issue with either model, heads or accessories.

Some possible issues....

1. there is a small rubber gear/boot that does the mechanical connection between
      the tool motor and the head. This can and does wear out over time.

If you do purchase a Jobmax I strongly suggest you order a number of these
      before Ridgid/TTI makes them obsolete!!!!! Stock up get at least 6 of them for future use.

2. I do not hold 90% of tool reviews from Home Depot or Amazon etc as gospel.
      Many of them are shills.

3. The folks that complain about the Jobmax not working, motor burning up and
      a myriad of other complaints..simply abuse the tool.
      As with all power tools, cutting, grinding, shaping, sanding you must let the
      tool do the work, forcing the tool will indeed damage it.

If you are cutting with a multi-tool any brand and you are having difficulty
      You should first verify you are using the proper blade, and it's sharp.
      If you get smoke while cutting you are forcing the tool!!!

It's a shame Ridgid/TTI has ended the Jobmax series and has introduced a single dedicated
      oscillating cutting tool.

I am not impressed with their introduction of the newest tool line. they had a lock on the
      oscillating tool juandra with the Jobmax and they should have grown it and improved it
      not drop it.

Finally, buy the 18V Jobmax with the LSA program, scoop up what ever accessories you can
      still find. You won't be disappointed.

Granted, a Jobmax powered drill, jig saw, or reciprocating saw does not have the power needed
      as dedicated tools, but it sure is handy on the job without lugging a tool box full of heavy power tools!

Cactus Man

Comment

Gah! Thanks for the info. Did not know the Octane line was being discontinued. I hate all these constant changes to the lineup, most of them never for the better. It's confusing and unpleasant. I guess that's the cost of LSA... constant upheaval

Comment

I am sorry to see the JobMax line go too. I believe you have to follow the money, or in this case lack of it, to get to the root of the demise of the JobMax tool and it's accessories. I don't believe the death of the JobMax can be attributed to the lack of sales of the tool itself. At least not completely.

TTI makes no effort to compete with the other tool lines as far as what tools they bring to market. Not with DeWalt, Makita, or with even Milwaukee or Ryobi which are their other two brands. Not to mention AEG which is the same line of tools but sold outside North America. Maybe that has to do with their arrangement with HD and the rebranding of the AEG tool line for sale here in North America under the RIDGID label, I don't know the answer to that.

So less selection/breadth of tools for the end user means (to my way of thinking) fewer people are going to buy ANY of your cordless tools. If the tools they need are not in your lineup then you're not even on their list which means unique tools like the JobMax don't stand a chance. Yes there are other oscillating tools but they are limited in what they can do. They are shake, rattle, and vibrate only, the JobMax can do so much more and offered many more options for power sources than the other guys even dreamed about.

The JobMax is the only tool that offered power from 120V mains, 18v & 12v batteries, and even a pneumatic version. Couple that with about a dozen different accessory heads and you've got a very versatile tool system that nobody could compete with.

I used my JobMax just last week to help my BIL with adding a couple new cabinets to his kitchen. I packed up a bunch of my tools in a couple Festool Systainers. I have an extra one that I have been using for my JobMax as it lets me keep all the JobMax pieces in one place and I can grab this one box and have it all (well almost) with me.

Many companies use Systainers to house their tools. The nice thing is they all can be stacked and locked together for transport.

I can fit the 12v power console plus the following accessory heads in the same Sys 2 box which measures about 15-1/2”W x 11-1/2"D x 6-3/16"H.

JobMax 12v console
          Jig saw
          one hand Sawzall
          3/8" right angle drill
          3/8" drive ratchet
          Oscillating head with sanding pad
          (2) 12v batteries
          1/4" Impact driver
          blades and drill bits for the above plus a couple miscellaneous layout tools

And still had room in the box for more.

You can pack all those tools in a box that size from any other brand and carry it out the door in one hand. Can't be done.

Now I didn't need all those tools for the job at hand, but I was able to just grab the Systainer and go and have all that capability with me in an instant. How long would it have taken to gather up all those tools and carry them out to the truck if they were anything other than the JobMax and how many hands would you need? More than one I bet.

I wish they had come out with a mini cutoff saw with 1-5/8" cut capacity for the JobMax. That would have been a great add. A pop-rivet tool would have been nice too.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 04-04-2021, 05:43 AM.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" ? Bob D. 2006
          "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

I'm disappointed to see the Jobmax lineup discontinued as well. It has been on the market for quite some time but they never really had many attachments in stock at any time. I do like my impact driver head for close quarters installing or removal.
            a 45 degree or even better a swivel head pop rivet head would have been a desirable head option for me, way before the little shear that I didn't see a need to buy.
            I'm sure lots of dirt track guys would buy that as well to quickly and easily rivet panels back on.
            that would be a viable replacement for the air powered ones.

On that note I haven't used Astros pop rivet installer that goes on a drill, here
            https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01JBNKT...J30W5P3BW89HVT

I do have their XL rivet nut setter in the same style and it works awesome.

Comment

• Bob D.
              Bob D. commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, a RivNut setter would have been nice too.

I bought a JobMax after my very old Fein stripped its gears. I used the JobMax several times in the first week and returned it to Home Depot. What I did not like is the variable speed trigger, You had to hold the trigger in 1 position to maintain the desired speed and it is difficult to hold if you are trying to maneuver the tool upside down. Also it vibrates excessively.

Here is a link to my saga:

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/po...cillating-tool

Comment

I agree the trigger can be finicky and difficult to hold at a steady speed. I like a max speed setting dial and a variable trigger. That way you can set the top speed and use the trigger to adjust the speed up to the max setting, or just mash it to the floor and run full out at whatever speed you have dialed in. That's the best of both worlds.

----

Comment

Who said JobMax is being discontinued I have not heard anything . I know Octane is being phased out which means MegaMax will be also ( Octane ) . I have the 18V Octane console and a 12V brushed console along with all the attachments RIDGID made and they come in handy . There is no other tool company who makes a multi-tool with as many attachments as Jobmax.

The people who rate Jobmax negatively are probably just rating the oscillating attachment, I rather have a adjustable speed dial than a variable trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by drainman scott View Post
                Who said JobMax is being discontinued I have not heard anything . I know Octane is being phased out which means MegaMax will be also ( Octane ) . I have the 18V Octane console and a 12V brushed console along with all the attachments RIDGID made and they come in handy . There is no other tool company who makes a multi-tool with as many attachments as Jobmax.

The people who rate Jobmax negatively are probably just rating the oscillating attachment, I rather have a adjustable speed dial than a variable trigger.
                It was mentioned on here about a week or two ago. I was surprised to hear that too and when I questioned was told yes, the JobMax line is going away. I'd like to believe it is not true but I have not found much either way outside of this Forum to support its continuance or its demise.

I don't think there is ANY company that makes a oscillating tool that accepts multiple attachments, they are all just an oscillating head as far as I know. If I am wrong please point them out.

There is no competition for the JobMax. Yes, it is a bit larger than most of the competition but it does so much more.

Hopefully it is only the 18v Octane console that will no longer be produced.

I found this today (4/5/21) on the AEG website about the new brushless JobMax. Maybe it's a clue as to what we will see under the RIDGID label.

18V Brushless Multi Tool Skin (aegpowertools.com.au)
                Last edited by Bob D.; 04-05-2021, 04:56 AM.

----

Comment

There is a new 18V JobMax coming this Spring, at least according to the RIDGID website.

RIDGID - New Tools 2021 (ridgidmail.com)

I can't upload an image for some reason. I noticed this yesterday and thought they must be doing some maintenance on the site but again today still can't upload an image. Anyone else having problems uploading images?

----

Comment

I think the Ridgid one is not a job max but a Non-removable head. It has a Knob to adjust the speed which will be nice

Comment

Yes, you are right. It is not a JobMax unfortunately. I don't think I will be buying it as I have the Fein Q250 and the Festool Vecturo but both of those are corded tools that I have had for years. They both work very well and have loads of features that are not available on the RIDGID or any of the other brands with the exception of Bosch.

Even though I end up taking the JobMax with me on most jobs unless I know I will be doing a significant amount of work that requires an oscillating tool or some heavy duty cutting. I do have the corded JobMax console so I could bring that. I wish I had picked up a pneumatic version when it was available. If they come out with a variable speed dial on a new JobMax oscillating head I will get one.

----

Comment

I love my Jobmax and will look to pick up some more to have on hand as the line dies out. LSA will do no good if they don't have replacements.

Is it me, or do the new replacements, as well as the other new tools look "cheap"? They just don't have the rugged look of the predecessors.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing last time I looked at what was on the shelf in my local HD. I thought it's just me but if you're seeing it too then maybe there is some truth to it.

What will they do when my JobMax Shear Head dies? There is nothing even close in their inventory to replace it with. Give me the cash toward some other tool I guess. But more likely will be they will just blow me off with a "hey, it reached the end of it's useful life, what more do you want?" reaction.

The shear head works great for cutting 1/8" Garlock gasket material, and neoprene too.

----

Comment

• cactusman
                            cactusman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You may want to stock up on cutting blades for the shear head! while they are still out there.
                            Be aware, the cost for each blade has gone up a lot!

Cactus Man
                        Working...
                        X