Ridgid Tool Manufactures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Tool Manufactures

We all seen that Emerson handed some of the manufacturing to TTI makes alot Ridgid power tools, it looks like Delta may make future Table saw, and somebody make the Jointer. Does anybody who else makes the Ridgid power tools?

Starting with the introduction of the Ridgid power tool line in 2003, all Ridgid-brand hand-held and stationary power tools were made by TTI. The exceptions were the shop vac line, electrical tools (for the electrician trade) and the plumbing tools. Prior to 2003, stationary power tools like the Ridgid drillpress, lathe, radial arm saw, table saws, benchtop sander (and some other other that I have forgotten) were made by Emerson, the parent company of Ridge Tools.

The introduction in 2003 introduced a new color scheme in that the tools were orange. Prior to that, Ridgid stationary tools were light gray with red trim and they carried a "Lifetime Warranty" against "defects in materials". There were no handheld power tools that I am aware of in the old Ridgid line.

With the new "orange" line wearing the "Ridgid" brand name, TTI was given the old stationary tool designs, and they introduced a new line of hand-held power tools, along with the "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement". Initially the LLSA was only for the a short introduction period, (IIRC, that was only until January 31, 2004). After that introductory period, there was only the 90-day Satisfaction guarantee and a 3-year warranty. In 2005, (iirc) the LLSA was re-instated. Also in 2004-2005 there were several stationary tool designs that were discontinued, they included the RAS, lathe, and a couple of others.

TTI is an international company, partnered originally by a guy from the UK and the other in Hongkong and had manufacturing facilities in Taiwan and China and here in the U.S.. (For several years prior to the TTI-Ridgid deal, Ridgid was contracting its manufacturing to Taiwan.) TTI licenses the "Ridgid" brand and the "Ryobi" brand (Ryobi, itself, is a Japanese firm well known for its industrial aluminum and high-end printers for the publishing industry. "Ryobi", the Japanese company, still manufactures a line of power tools but they are mostly sold in Japan, Australia, and Indonesia. The logo looks a bit different as well as the tools themselves.

TTI is an industrial conglomerate, manufacturing tools under several brands. It has a license to use the "Ridgid" and "Ryobi" brand names, and it own Milwaukee, AEG, Dirt Devil, and several other brands marketed around the world. Many of the Craftsman tools are also made by TTI's Ryobi and One World Technologies divisions.

So, in today's line up for "Ridgid", I believe that hand-held and stationary power tools are made by TTI. Shop vacs are still made by Emerson, and plumbing and electrical hand tools made by Emerson's "Ridge Tool company.

In the last twenty to thirty years of global merges, licensing, etc. it's a bit confusing as to who's who. The above information written from my memory, so hope that's still mostly accurate. You can look here https://www.ttigroup.com/ for more up-to-date info.

CWS

Comment

My curiosity is up but that is probably because I am reading into things. I don't remember who posted it but it had to do with the next table top saw that Ridgid was coming out with. There was similarity with the Delta table saw that I have in my garage I got from Lowes
      I also ran across a statement saying, "that all the jointers are made in one place in Taiwan" and list he had was all the major brands including Ridgid. I do guess it would stand to reason that either TTI or Emerson themselves could redirect manufactures of their product to some where else is so direct as needed.

Comment

In my experience, manufacturers are often like people, in that they see or hear of a good buy and you follow that trend. For example, just look at the foundry/cast iron business. Here in the U.S. there was growing pressure in that business from environmentalists and just plain ol' folks like you and me who might not take having a foundry in their neighborhoods. Cast iron is of course a key material and manufacturing capabiity for heavy tools like table saws, jointers, drill presses etc.

For example, I went to work for Ingersoll-Rand's Painted Post plant in 1973. In the eight years prior to that I worked in Binghamton where I live now. I-R was one of my clients (I illustrated and wrote many of their instruction and parts manuals.) That company had been there since the 1880's and was the largest compressor manufacturing plant in the world. It had its foundry.

The foundry requires a lot of materials, especially sand (for molds) and coal for the melting and casting, it also produces a lot of smoke and ash! When we first moved there in August of 73, the three of us lived in a company duplex with the railroad track and foundary only yards from out back door. What a nightmare that was! You could stand in the backyard and actuall hear the ash falling to the ground. The trains rumbled through twice a day, and from the caboose the guys threw candy to the kids. As the train came into sight (and sound), some kid in the neighborhood would let our a scream, "Triiiiiiaaaaaaaan" and every kid and dog would run out across the street to catch their share. NO fence, no guard, and there'd be a bit of pushing a shoving. Fortunately I never heard of anyone getting injured, but as the father of a three year old, it certainly raised my blood pressure.

Then there would be the late evening when the second shift would run the hot casting out onto the conveyer "shakers" which would shake the smaller castings vigorously shake out the sand. That would rattle every window, dish, and cup in the house!

Worse was that as iron became expensive, we went into recycled iron; and they had a massive field that held old engines and other cast items. The oil from those soaked the ground and polluted the village water wells, as well as the nearby river. Likewise the factory had cutting oil and iron dust from machining processes find it's way into the river. That was still going on in the early 80's! With inflaction and evironmental laws we looked to Italy, but their castings procedures were not up to standards and we had a lot of problems. Finally in the 90's we looked to Taiwan and China. Our foundry had been shut down and we had a cancer cluster in Painted Post, which nobody wanted to admit and everybody seemed to ignor.

Across the country, many of our supplying foundries had similar problems and I imagine Ridgid was the same. They too, sent much of their manufacturing to Taiwan also and over the next few years alternatives in heavy industrial manufacturing looked better along the 'Pacific Rim' with places like Taiwan, China, India, etc. Our country lost a lot of jobs, and of course we can't forget that labor was much cheaper there too. In China for example, they have government healthcare; here in the U.S. we did not and let me tell you that "healthcare" was a major cost concern along with environment. For several years I'd do the graphics and charts for Cost Reduction programs and a major concern was, "How old our work force was and what it costs the company in lost time, health expense, etc."

When I first started doing business with them in the mid-60's as a contractor, the plant had 4800 employees. Today they have less than 500 I've been told. The old foundry lot is barren, and still fenced in because of the pollution and many old neighbors and friends have passed away with cancer, leukemia, etc.

So moving to China, India and of course Taiwan was a natural move. One company starts it, the word gets around quickly and other companies follow. One of my peeves in this life is the backlash many of have against these countries. But the facts are that in most cases, they didn't directly cause the problem, American industry was only too happy to move rather than correct their facilities here.

CWS

Comment

Along with what CWS said, there was high inflation here too back then. It hurt employees and employers. Workers were wanting higher wages to keep up with inflation, and the companies were in the same boat. Not only was the cost of labor climbing but so were the prices of raw materials and shipping.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" ? Bob D. 2006
          "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

• CWSmith
            CWSmith commented
            Editing a comment
            There was a period in the early to mid 80's when 'the dollar' was very strong in the world market and that didn't help either. While many people think that a 'strong dollar' is good for the country, it also is bad in many aspects too. My employer decided it could buy parts, like castings, in Italy for a fraction of what we could make them ourselves. (they were crap, BTW and led to several recalls, especially with the lighter weight products. A 'strong dollar' also meant we buy everything from clothes to cars and evend vacations in Europe. Here in Binghamton we had a very large shoe industry, and industry that built much of our area over the previous hundred years. It all went away over just a three year period. Same with the large A&P food processing facility located near Elmira. They just disappeared with the decade and all the machinery went to Europe.

CWS

I understand what you all are saying and do think it goes back further than that: British did it here in colonies (USA) because labor was cheaper, after WW2-US companies poured money in Japan for cheap manufacturing (Europe too) . I remember growing up in the sixties and my dad saying that my Japanese radio with a light wasn't going to hold up-it did and was cheap back then. Then Korea and Taiwan (Formosa was/is the name of the Island), China and India. All manufacturing or anything else that goes to another countries beefs up their country to access their cheap labor market until it gets expensive then they move to another. The world likes their cheap products. Countries gets screwed in the process in many many ways!! This constantly repeats itself over and over again with the same things happening over and over again. This is with same rhetoric repeats itself too, I don't think it will ever end.

Comment

Working...
          X