X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRAFTSMAN TWIN CUTTER

DOES ANYONE OWN OR HAS USED A CRAFTSMAN 6 1/8'' TWIN CUTTER. THIS TOOL USES 2 OPPOSING CARBIDE TIPPED BLADES. EACH BLADE SPINS OPPOSITE EACHOTHER. BEFORE I BUY, I WOULD LIKE A LITTLE BIT OF FEEDBACK. THEY SAY IT CAN CUT ALMOST ANYTHING. STEEL TO WOOD. VERY LITTLE KICKING DUE TO OPPOSITE SPINNING BLADES.
    GIVE ME SOME COMMENTS.

I have looked at this tool also. Its imported from Taiwan or China. Its also heavier than it looks. Have not used it for the reasons outlined in the second sentence of this post. It looks like a good idea and it seemed like a sturdy tool.

You alsohave to use a wax lubricating stick for cutting copper and aluminum with the twin cutter. Consider a cordless metal cutting circular saw.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Looks like an interesting tool. The latest craftsman club flyer has a photo of it cutting a piece of PVC on the back. I guess to show it's versatility? I don't know anyone personally that has ever used one. My local sears hardware is going out of business and currently has 20% off power tools. That is one of two craftsman power tools I am considering. the other is their contour sander that looks like a norelco cordless razor
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

PLUMBER, SPACE, JUST CATCHING UP ON THIS TOPIC. AS FAR AS THE CORDLESS METAL CUTTING SAW GOES, I HAVE 2. BOTH THE MILW. AND THE MAKITA. THE MAKITA WAS A CLOSEOUT FROM HARBOR FREIGHT. COULDN'T PASS UP THE SAVINGS. THE MILW. I'VE USED FOR EVERYTHING FROM UNISTRUT TO 1.25'' BLK. PIPE. IT'S GREAT UNTIL YOU NEED TO PURCHASE BLADES. ABOUT $45. A BLADE.
        THE CRAFTSMAN I'VE HAD NO LUCK WITH. ATTEMPTED TO DEMO ONE AT SEARS. THE BLADES WERE BINDING ON EACH OTHER AND MOTOR WAS STALLED. TRIED A SECOND ONE SAME THING. I THINK THEY NEED TO GO BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD ON THIS ONE. THE CONCEPT IS NEAT. OPPOSING CARBIDE BLADES TO ELIMINATE THE KICKBACK. APPEARS TO BE ABLE TO CUT APPROX. 2.5'' DEEP. GREAT FOR CUTTING PIPE IN WALLS. IF THEY COULD ONLY FIGURE OUT HOW TO KEEP THE BLADES RUNNING TRUE. READ THE DIRECTIONS AND IT DIDN'T MAKE ANY NOTE ON HOW TIGHT TO TIGHTEN THE SET. THERE IS A SPACER IN BETWEEN THE 2 TEFLON COATED BLADES. WELL THIS LOOKS LIKE A SHORT LIVED TOOL. PS. BLADES ARE $49. A PAIR. WAX IS USED FOR COPPER AND ALUM. AS NOTED BY SPACE.
        YOU SEE ALL 3 OF US ARE ON THE SAME PAGE ON THIS ONE.
        THANKS RICK.

Comment

Rick, Space,

Yeah the blades are a bit steep on reds metal cutter. I only had to pay about 30 bucks for mine so you might want to check with a different supply house. One note also, reds metal cutter does not work as well on M copper as it does everything else. I think its because M is so danged thin, fortunatly I seldom use anything that light. The time savings on copper makes it worth the blade costs. Don't loan that puppy to anyone as I caught an experienced journeyman trying to cut unistrut with my copper blade.

Hopefully someone will take the idea of that twin cutter and produce a good sturdy tool out of it. I wonder if the salespeople at Sears knew how to install the blades properly? Some (not all) of them make a person wonder.

Space, is that 20% just on their Craftsman or on all brands of their tools? It might be a great time to break out the plastic.
          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

PLUMBER, THE BLADES ON THE TWIN CUTTER COME FACTORY INSTALLED.
            I DON'T USE THE CORDLESS TO CUT COPPER I'M INSTALLING. TOO MUCH METAL SHAVINGS. IN FACT I'M USING A NEW STYLE REAMER THAT DOESN'T CAUSE A SHAVING TO BREAK OFF. IT USES A SET OF SMALL ROLLERS TO PUSH, DISPLACE THE COPPER RIDGE BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL POSITION. THIS WAY THERE IS NOTHING IN THE SYSTEM TO CATCH, LODGE IN ANY DEVICE.
            IN FACT WITH THE PROPRESS THERE IS BASICALLY NOTHING IN THE SYSTEM TO FLUSH OUT. NO FLUX, SOLDER, CARBON ASH FROM BRAZING.
            THANKS PLUMBER FOR STICKING UP FOR THE TURD CHASERS.
            RICK.

Comment

Don't Buy One. They work good but it's built like
              S%*T. I bought one on eBay for 90.00 and it lasted all of 10min before I let the smoke out.
              Sears won't do squat for me as they say it's used.
              It had little or no use when I bought it off the
              Bay. JUNK&gt;&gt;&gt; STAY AWAY&gt;&gt;&gt; Sears and K-Mart are
              made for each other. They can't go broke fast enough for me.

Comment

MIKE, MOST OF THE USED CUTTERS ON EBAY ARE RETURNED JUNK. SEARS LIQUADATES THESE AND EBAYERS THEN RESELL THIS JUNK. YOU NEED TO PURCHASE THE SAW FROM SEARS AND GET A SEARS RECIEPT TO ALLOW FOR RETURN.
                PS. I SPEAK FROM FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE ON THIS ONE. I ENDED UP WITH 2 FROM EBAY. FORTUNATLY THE SELLER ATE THIS ONE AS THEY HAD ADVERTISED THE SAW AS NEW. WELL THEY WEREN'T NEW AND I GOT A FULL REFUND.
                AS FAR AS THE SAW GOES, THEY DID WORK PRETTY GOOD, UNTIL THEY DIED. UNDER 10 MINUTES.
                RICK

Comment

It would be a nice peice to have if your "jaws of life" are broken and you locked your keys in your truck.
                  Ignorance is bliss and the world is a happy place.

Comment

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268046

They seem to like it.

Comment

Working...
                    X