X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Motor Upgrade

Has anyone put a larger motor on their TS3650? If so, could you share some wisdom.

Thanks in advance.

Swede

Why would you want to? A properly tuned contractor saw with a 1½HP or 2HP motor should be able to cut 1½" or thinner stock all day long. If you're consistently cutting thicker stock, you might want to consider upgrading to a cabinet saw.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

BD,

There are times when I am cutting 3/4 stock, that I have to really slow down on the feed rate. I have tuned up the saw pretty good, but I am sure you could find something out of whack. Anyway, just thought about upgrading the motor to 3 HP to eliminate the issue.

Also BD, what are the benefits of rewiring to 220? The shop I am about to move into will be wired for both. I am not electrical smart, but would like to be educated on the benefits of running on 220.

Thanks in advance,

Swede

Comment

AS FAR AS 220/240 VOLTS GO. THE ADVANTAGE IS THAT THE VOLTAGE DROP WILL BE LESS AS THE AMPERAGE WILL BE CUT IN HALF. IF YOUR RUNNING AT 12 AMPS AT 120, THEN WITH THE SAME MOTOR IT WILL BE 6 AMPS AT 240. THEREFORE YOUR VOLTAGE DROP WILL BE LESS AS THE WIRES, AND CORD ASSY. WILL HANDLE THIS AMPERAGE WITH THE PRESENT CORD AND WIRES IN YOUR SHOP.
        I KEEP MY STATIONARY EQUIPTMENT WIRED FOR 240. AND MY PORTABLE EQUIPTMENT AT 120 FOR EASE OF USE.
        AS FAR AS A 3HP. MOTOR GOES YOU WILL NEED 240 VOLT. A 2HP WILL RUN AT 120, BUT WILL TRIP A 20 AMP BREAKER UNDER LOAD. IF THE SAW IS NOT GOING TO BE PORTABLE, THEN GO 240.
        RICK.

Comment

swede,

If you're having problems feeding ¾" stock, I would check the alignment of your fence and also the sharpness of your blade. If the blade is sharp and the fence is aligned properly, it could be that you are using the incorrect style of blade for the job at hand?

Dave
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

If you have a long extension cord or a shorter cheap one (16 Gauge) you may be starving the motor of voltage. You can use a 14 gauge but I would really recommend a 12 gauge cord. Even a 12 gauge should not be any longer than 50 feet.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys.

I am going back to the beginning of aligning my table saw! I don't use extension cords, so I don't think that is the issue.

Guess uping the HP on the motor is not the issue. Back to the drawing board with alignment.

Thanks all.

Swede

Comment

Working...
              X