No announcement yet.

Home Depot receipts

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Depot receipts

Last evening I purchased the 4-piece corless toolkit (R922) from a local Home Depot. I asked for and received a duplicate receipt so I'd be sure to have a copy for the lifetime warranty.

Sometime last evening either my wife or I handled the original receipt with something slightly oily on our fingers. When I got up this morning and prepared to place the receipts in a safe place, I was SHOCKED! to find that whatever was on our hands last evening had migrated through the receipt paper and had OBLITERATED most of the important information on the ORIGINAL receipt. The duplicate was unscathed, but the original was all but unreadable.

I went back to the store today and demanded a receipt that will last throughout the warranty period. I was given a laser-printed receipt copy. I don't know what the life of a laser print page is, and I'm hesitant to have it laminated, as the heat or the adhesive in the lamination process may over time obliterate the receipt information. My son-in-law, who has a background in retail sales, has advised me against laminating the duplicate register receipt, since it is thermally activated and may turn solid black during the lamination process.

Brandman: Do you have a recommendation for preserving receipts? Is Ridgid going to work with Home Depot to provide your mutual customers with a durable receipt to validate the lifetime warranty, or is the HD "here today, gone tomorrow" receipt a planned part of your warranty cost assessment?

Not particularly thrilled, in AZ.

make a photocopy and laminate that.

...what Rafael said... I laminate photocopied stuff at Kinko's fairly frequently, no problem. You could also scan them and store on CD for backup.

A large number of purchases over the past 6-9 months for electronics, cameras and the like, have had mail-in rebate coupons. Unlike a coupla years back, these latest rebates are worth some real bucks...$25 - $80 each! The cash register receipt is invariably printed on thermal paper and only semi-legible at best. Since I presently have outstanding at any one time 4-6 of these financial transactions, I scan every last piece of paper, store as .jpg files and backup to CD.

Long term digital storage, with appropriate backup seems to be the way to go for archiving all valuable pieces of paper.

As an Intel employee, I can safely say that all current forms of digital storage have finite life times. Hard drives crash (costs more to recover the data than to buy new tools), CD ROMs can be scratched, etc., etc.

I'm thinking of scanning the laser print copy and printing that out using ink jet. I don't think lamination will damage ink-on-paper. Laminated ink-on-paper may be the ultimate solution.

The point of the post was two-fold:

a.) To point out that Ridgid/Home Depot need a better plan for providing receipts to those who don't have access to various reproduction methods (and shouldn't have to take heroic steps to safeguard their warranty certificate (the receipt) anyway).

b.) To let others know that their warranty is in jeopardy if they don't take additional steps to preserve their Home Depot receipt.

For the sake of their future reputations, Ridgid and Home Depot should address this issue. It shouldn't be up to the customer to find an archival method for preserving volatile receipts. Safe storage, yes, but the customer shouldn't have to create an archival receipt after being given one that will only last for a few months.

I am not very good at keeping receipts and have needed warranty service during the warranty period several times. I usually send in my registration card. This has proven valuable at least 3 times. The companies had my registration info on file and could verify the purchase date. Sending in the registration card is worthwhile.
            One company actually took my word for how old the product was and I told them I wasn't sure even then. They replaced it without hassle. They make substandard products(in my opinion), but there customer support is good.

OK, folks, here's the update:

Home depot has replied to my concerns by telling me that, due to "numerous" complaints, they are working on a system to provide more durable receipts. Good job, HD!

I also contacted Ridgid about the problems I had registering my 4-piece kit on line. They told me that the proper method for registering a multi-tool kit is to use the kit model number, R922 in my case, and to use the serial number for the drill in the kit. These two numbers register the entire kit. Thanks for the response, Ridgid. I'll take care of that this evening.

For those who don't know, a laser print is the same as a photo copy. They both use a fine black powder, heat-welded to the paper. I've seen both deteriorate over time. If placed against some plastics, such as the cover of a three-ring binder, the image will adhere to the plastic and be torn from the paper when the binder cover is opened. I have no idea what are the long term effects of exposure to the thermal adhesive used in the lamination process. I tend to distrust it. Since I believe the image powder, thermal adhesive and lamination plastic are all petrochemical-based, they may tend to chemically migrate together over time, causing fading.

I'm still going to rely on the laminated ink on paper process for my long-term receipt.

Best to all,

hmmm, ok, here's a dumb question: Why do they need the purchase date for providing "lifetime warranty"!

I called Ridgid's support twice for missing parts, they sent it to me after getting the serial number.

Why do they need the purchase date for providing "lifetime warranty"!

Because the lifetime warranty is only offered through the end of this year. Obviously not a huge problem now, but in 2009...

Laser printed documents will handle the heat of lamination very nicely. A laminated laser printed document will outlast the original purchaser.

THe date is required for the Lifetime Service offer so that "WE" know that the tool purchase qualifies. The date code / serial number is only needed for the application of the standard 3 year warranty. It is a good practice to have your proof of purchase regardless of warranty plan. It can save a lot of confusion and help ensure that you get the maximum benefit our of any extended offers.

FWIW, A laser copy will far outlast an inkjet copy. Also, laser copies will not smudge, smear, or bleed when something liek water may accidentally be spilled on it.
                        A safe practice would be to put your reciepts in a fireproof box with all other important documents. If a copy is made, it will last just as long as your home title, car title or anything else far more valueable.