X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid power tools

I am a general contractor that has been in business for nearly 20 years, and have owned tools from all of the major tool companies. I have seen the new line of power tools, and must say I not impressed. The 18volt cordless drills are too heavy and tbulky to be used on a prolonged basis. The cordless saw has an awkward hand position and balance to it, and the carry bag is just as poor an idea now as when Milwaukee started using it a couple years ago. The corded spade handle drill feels cheap, the plastic handles feel like they could'nt make the trip out of the box before breaking. The corded sawzall is woefully under-powered and would have no chance versus a Porter-Cable or Milwaukee. In my opinion the majority of this tool line is over-priced and cannot be compared to the others in it's price range. As for the "LIFETIME WARRANTY", this is the biggest joke of all. So much is being written about this warranty that is only available for the next 2 months, that I have to comment. If you are a "DIY'er", than this is perfect for you. You will rarely use the tools in situations where they would get physically damaged, which is not warranteed. A professionals tools usually get damaged from hard use and hard falls, neither of which would be covered. In January 2004 will you still look at these Home Depot orange tools as quality ones, when they do'nt have this warranty? It's funny, this reminds me of the Sears Craftsman warranty on it's hand-tools. The Craftsman tools are great for the light user, they are well priced, unlike the Ridgid line, and carry a lifetime warranty, but how many professional mechanics do you think use them instead of true pro tools such as Snap-on or Mac? Do you think it's worth the time to exchange an inferior tool when the pro one probably would'nt have broken in the first place? Well like I said before, this will all be mute in 2 months anyway. Thanks for letting me get my 2 cents in.

Will it be mute?

Which definition of mute would that be?
    mute
    adj 1: expressed without speech; especially because words would be
    inappropriate or inadequate; "a mute appeal"; "a
    silent curse"; "best grief is tongueless"- Emily
    Dickinson; "the words stopped at her lips unsounded";
    "unspoken grief"; "choking exasperation and wordless
    shame"- Thomas Wolfe [syn: tongueless, unspoken, wordless]
    2: lacking power of speech [syn: tongueless]
    3: unable to speak because of hereditary deafness [syn: dumb,
    silent]
    n 1: a deaf person who is unable to speak [syn: deaf-mute, deaf-and-dumb
    person]
    2: a device used to soften the tone of a musical instrument
    v : deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping [syn: muffle,
    dull, damp, dampen, tone down]

Or, did you mean "moot"? A completely unrelated word that is similar only in that it starts with an "m" and involves a "t" at some point afterward.

Comment

Will it be mute?

Which definition of mute would that be?
      mute
      adj 1: expressed without speech; especially because words would be inappropriate or inadequate; "a mute appeal"; "a silent curse" [syn: tongueless, unspoken, wordless]
      2: lacking power of speech [syn: tongueless]
      3: unable to speak because of hereditary deafness [syn: dumb,
      silent]
      n 1: a deaf person who is unable to speak [syn: deaf-mute, deaf-and-dumb
      person]
      2: a device used to soften the tone of a musical instrument
      v : deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping [syn: muffle,
      dull, damp, dampen, tone down]

Or, did you mean "moot"? A completely unrelated word that is similar only in that it starts with an "m" and involves a "t" at some point afterward.

Comment

Boinger, you mean as in I boinged your sister? Maybe it means, you've been boinged in the head so many times that this is the most intelligent response that you have to my post. Also I see that it was so important that you posted it twice. Yes I mean mute, as in not worth speaking of!

Comment

I'm sorry, I had to register just to reply to Mr. odin65. The tools are too heavy? I suppose if they were lighter, you would say they would never hold up? Porter Cable & Milwaukee? I have tools from both. Some are good designs, some are poor - they are not all perfect. My 1/2" Magnum Holeshooter with it's two-finger trigger is one example - every time I pick up the drill, I have to watch out or I'll turn it on by accident. And my Porter Cable router - from day one it has sounded like the bearings were going. They haven't yet, so maybe it is a good tool.

But lastly, the comparison of Craftsman and Snap-On. Boy, the mystique about Snap-On is just too much. Granted, I have only purchased a 1/2" drive long-handled ratchet 20 years ago when I thought it would do a better job than my similar long-handled Craftsman ratchet. I was cracking knuckles and ratchet drive gears from removing 15/16" nuts on 5/8" bolts from heavy truck brake spiders. So I finally bought the nice, shiny Snap-On to see if it would do better. Guess what? I cracked my knuckles and the drive gear on the first brake spider that I loosened. And furthermore, the Snap-On parts were not covered under any kind of warranty. But of course, the Craftsman was! So guess what tools I think are better!

Review each tool for what it does. Forget this "designer mystigue" attitude that you have about tools. It doesn't fly with me. There are good ones and poor ones in every line.

Comment

Odin65,
            Have you used the new Ridgid tools yet? As for Craftsman hand tools, I can't complain about them. I have to agree with jsc about the mystique. I work at Cessna Aircraft Company(everyone's flown in a Cessna right?) and I would say atleast 90% of the workforce uses Craftsman hand tools. I'm sure some of them break from time to time, but I guarantee that if they broke as often as you seem to think, airplanes would not make it out the door. I don't mind people expressing their opinions. Just keep in mind, I'm sure there are just as many people out there, including "general contractors" that have problems with the major tool companies you mentioned.

Comment

Well Mr.jsc, let me clarify my original post for you. I am a tool nut, and it does'nt take much for me to convince myself that I need a new whatever. I have no problem at all with Craftsman tools, I own a very large number of them, I am not however a pro mechanic who relies on these tools to make a living. It has been my personal experience, as well as relatives and friends who do make a living with these tools, that the Snap-On and Mac tools stand up better to pro use. This is not a "designer mystique", from what I have seen it is fact. As far as your other comment let me say this, I never said that every Porter- Cable or Milwaukee tool is perfect or good. I have owned some pretty crappy Porter-Cable, Milwaukee, Bosch, Dewalt, and Makita tools in my time, but their good ones have far outweighed the bad ones. Oh, bye the way, my 1/2 inch magnum hammer has the original swith that has never given any concern as far as turning on accidentally. My original point was simply this, if it were not for this limited time "lifetime warranty" would these tools be a consideration? From what I have seen and held my answer is no. Please note that I am only speaking of this new line of woodworking tool, and not neccessarily all of the woodworking tools, not the true Ridgid tools that have been around for years. I own several ridgid plumbing tools that are excellent and would purchase them again without hesitation. Let me finally say that I could not care less what kind of tools you people out there decide to purchase, the opinions I express are my own and I am not trying to make them yours.

Comment

I am a General Contractor also! and I have used every brand of Power Tool known to man. The ridgid x2 combo is great for me! I personally think it is better than any Black & Decker product! Boom! Now who was that, who made DeWalt?????? but we all have an opinion Don't we.

Comment

Yes we all do have our own opinion, thank god and the people who died to give us that freedom, but to say that there is a problem with Dewalt because Black and Decker is the parent company is just plain silly. Do you like the new Hummer2, or Corvette, or Saab 9/5, or cadillacs? Do you realize that they are made by the same parent company that makes the Cavalier and Sunfire? BOOM!

Comment

ODin,
                    Have you actually used the Recip Saw, or are you just basing your opinion on the amp rating?

What exactly don't you like about the angle of the circ saw handle? If you drop your hand to your side, your grip comes naturally to a 45 degree angle or so, same as the Ridgid cordless circ saw. The yellow compition out there is at 90 degrees with the fence all the way up, and is at a NEGATIVE angle when the fence is dropped! Perfect for dragging it behind you TO bad I don't have eyes in the back of my head though eh?
                    As for the warranty, yea, the lifetime deal is up Dec 31, but at that point, it becomes three years, which is 2 years longer than most out there.

[ 11-04-2003, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: mr man ]

Comment

Mr man perhaps I was'nt clear, but I was speaking of the cordless circular saw. The angles at which my right and left hands were foced into were not as comfortable as my Dewalt cordless. As for the corded version I prefer my Left handed Porter-cable and right handed Rockwell. No I have not used any of the new Ridgid tools, I am basing my opinion on the feel of the the tool and overall impression of its fit and finish.

Comment

I didnt' say there is a problem with Dewalt. i am the One with the Problem! I just think dewalt SUX!

But I did have a Makita c-less drill that i dropped off a 50 foot building and i still have it and it still works, and it does'nt suck!

and the new X2 combo is great.

Comment

one other note: i read on the forum somewhere where a guy knew someone who cracked a batt case and said it kept a better charge. after some thought and studying the design of the new ridgid max batts with holes... i took a 18v battery from another driver drill of mine, unscrewed the batt case, took the battery apart and precisely drilled some vent holes in the side of the batt case. It seems to hold a better charge! any comments!

Comment

My 24 volt dewalt batteries have vents built into them to help dissapate heat. The cooler the cells stay, to a certain extent, the better the charge they will recieve and the longer they will hold it.

Comment

Yup, I was speaking of the cordless saw as well, sorry If I wasn't clear myself.
                              Anyway, when you have time, stand up and let your hand drop to your side, then reach forward a couple inches as if to grab something (like a circ saw) see the angle I am speaking of? Thats why most corded saws have that angle, but for some reason not many cordless do except for the Milw, Ridgid, Bosch, and probably others I can't remember, just a thought anyway.

Originally posted by odin65:
                              Mr man perhaps I was'nt clear, but I was speaking of the cordless circular saw. The angles at which my right and left hands were foced into were not as comfortable as my Dewalt cordless. As for the corded version I prefer my Left handed Porter-cable and right handed Rockwell. No I have not used any of the new Ridgid tools, I am basing my opinion on the feel of the the tool and overall impression of its fit and finish.

Comment

Working...
                              X