Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New R83001 14.4V Owner (My Thoughts on this tool)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New R83001 14.4V Owner (My Thoughts on this tool)

First I would like to say that I am not a Professional Contractor nor do I use my Powertools everyday so my needs were not as great as some of the others who have posted on this site.

But... when I do use my Cordless drills I use them extensively and for long periods of time.
    After using my new drill for a few days here are some of my opinions on this tool.

The size of the R83001 is great for my needs. The X2's seemed just too heavy for what I was mainly using my drill for.
    When I hang paneling I have the tool above my head alot so weight was the largest factor for my decision.
    The feel of this unit fits perfectly in my hands.
    Very well balanced to boot.

To tool I replaced the Ridgid with was a B&D 18v Firestorm I bought 1 1/2 years ago. When comparing the power the ridgid blew the B&D away. No comparison! On high speed I tried to stop the drill from turning and I was able to do that with no problems but when i did it on low speed I almost ripped my skin off of my hand!

I was thinking about getting the X2 version in the same 14.4v but I didn't like the added weight and bulkier size.

After going through about 3 charges of each battery the only thing I disliked about the R83001 14.4v was that the batteries didnt last as long as I hoped. I am comparing this to my Firestorm 18v and a older 12v Dewalt.
    I was mainly screwing 2" corse drywall screws into drywall and 2x4 studs so it wasnt like I was doing massive load heavy drilling (in which I will be doing soon through 18" of brick).

Has anyonelse had problems with battery life?

If the batteries are not lasting long enough after a few more days of drilling and screwing I might have to exchange it for the X2 version but didnt want to do that since I like the lighter version I have now.

I love the fast charger, as long as I am constantly working I can get my job done faster, when I stop I usually just stand around thinking about other stuff I dont want to do
    \"You get what you pay for\"

SDC,

Sounds like the drills working great for you. One thing I read in another post that you might find interesting is that you can interchange the batteries, i.e. a 14v X2 battery will work on your 14v drill. This would keep the weight down while giving you a longer charge.

I've bought the combo kit and considered picking up the compact 18v drill to be my screwgun, but the weight of the 18v X2 hasn't bothered me yet. We'll see when I have to hang sheatrock on a ceiling next week lol.

I did give my drill a little test the other day drilling with a 1" auger bit thru 2x6's and it out performed a 18v dewalt, both with a full charge I got about 20% more holes with my new ridgid vs my friends dewalt.

Comment

This begs the question. What is the difference in amp hours between the compact drill and x2 batteries? Anyone know? Brandman?

I have the compact and have found the battery life to be a bit short, so I may get the X2. But the larger size has so far deterred me.

Comment

After another long day of heavy use on that drill I had to take it back for a refund.
        The battery life was way below what I had expected.
        As the other guy said I can use X2 batteries but the costs just wouldnt justify buying another set of batteries. It would be better just to get the 14.4v X2 battery from the start.

Even though the battery will recharge much faster than what I can currently use per charge it still doesnt help me when I am up on my roof or in a area where there is no power to recharge the batteries.
        For the extra $30 bucks I am just going to get the 14.4v X2.

Comment

SDC, please let us know how the X2 HC batteries work compared to the compact you just returned. If possible, comparing screws driven, holes drilled etc. would be great.

Seems hard to get an answer on the difference between the batteries. My local Home Depot had a Ridgid demo day last week and the Ridgid rep said both types of drills use the SAME batteries; and that the HC is a marketing thing.

If your results are NOT significantly improved with the X2, it may be time to look at the NiMH 14.4 Makita...

Comment

BH626Pro, the amp hour on the HC X2 batteries is 2.0 amp hours. This is definitely not the highest amp hour (with nickel cadium the highest is 2.4 anyways) but with the fast charger I cant complain one bit. Another thing to keep in mind is that the amp hour isn't always a good gauge of how long a drill will go on a single charge. How efficient a drill is will affect the run time greatly. This would include things such as tolerences of individual parts of the drill. I got the amp hour information off of the ridgid website.
            You can\'t make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt, and who wants to make butt prints in the sands of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BH626Pro:
              SDC, please let us know how the X2 HC batteries work compared to the compact you just returned. If possible, comparing screws driven, holes drilled etc. would be great.

Seems hard to get an answer on the difference between the batteries. My local Home Depot had a Ridgid demo day last week and the Ridgid rep said both types of drills use the SAME batteries; and that the HC is a marketing thing.

If your results are NOT significantly improved with the X2, it may be time to look at the NiMH 14.4 Makita...
              I wont be able to test the difference since I went ahead and jumped on the 3 piece package.
              It weights alot more than the regular 14.4v since I now have the 18v hammerdrill with this package.
              Guess my arms and back will just have to produce more muscles

The flashlight sure did come in handy today after I bought the set since the power went out for about 40 minutes and I didnt have any flashlights laying around here at work.

Comment

I love these X2 batteries, i used my 14.4 1/2" drill today and cut 8- 4.5" holes through 2 pieces of 3/4 plywood on the same pack. I put the drill in low speed and even with the side handle on the drill ripped itself right out of my hands.

Comment

Working...
                X