X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP1550 chuck bind

I had a situation [img]redface.gif[/img] today that finally resolved itself, though may be only temporarily, but need some advice on what may have happened. I have the RIDGID drill press, DP1550, and it has one of those tapered chuck spindles and of course the tapered chuck that press fits on the spindle with no bolt into the shaft. First, I have been aware of press fit chucks before but have never understood the benefits of it being that way. Obviously it must have some, as I think most of the good drill presses use them. What are the advantages and after one has been press fitted for a while, how do you remove it?

Now to my problem. The chuck is ½ “ and developed a bind half way between full open and full close . I thought there might be some type of screw inside that had worked itself loose and was causing it to bind but could find none and obviously press fit chucks do not need them. I tried tapping the chuck out but to no avail. Then, I placed an allen wrench in it and fastened the other end of the wrench to the support table and attempted to pull the chuck off by applying pressure to the feed handle, pulling up on the wrench. The chuck still did not come off but apparently something eased the bind as the chuck started working again.

So my questions;

</font>
    • What happened to the chuck to cause it to bind half open/closed</font>
    </font>
    • How do I remove the chuck when and if need be</font>
    Thanks for any help.

Jerry

[ 01-06-2005, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: steelewoodworker ]
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Jerry,

My 1550 is equipped with a 5/8" chuck. Instructions to remove the chuck are on page 28 of your owner's manual. However, if you don't have that, here is what it says:

Removing the Chuck and Arbor

1. Open jaws of chuck as wide as they will go by turning chuck sleeve.
    2. Using a downwards motion carefully tap on chuck with a mallet while slowly turning the chuck with your other hand.

Make sure and hold onto the chuck to prevent it from dropping when it is released from the spindle nose. Insert drift key into key holes.

NOTE: If chuck is difficult to remove, place dowel rod on top surface of chuck and tap dowel with a hammer.

As far as what happened to freeze your chuck, I don't know. The only time I have had a chuck freeze up was on a power drill after I used some steel wool to remove some rust from the outside. (Dumb idea in hindsight.). Obviously some wool got inside the chuck and it caused the problem. I rinsed the chuck thoroughly in safety solvent and then oiled it and it seemed to work after that. From your description of the "fix", is there any chance that you forced a drill operation enough to press the chuck jaws upward to jam them? I really can't imagine that happening though.

Hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks CW,

I still could not find a reference to the size of the chuck, dont doubt you know what it is just could not find it in the specs or anywhere else.

How do you measure the size? Keep placing a larger bit in it until it will not go in?

I basically tried the removal process, but did not try twisting as I pulled down .

Jerry
      It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

Working...
      X