X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Trunnions

What is the general perspective on the Ridgid TS3650 aluminum trunnions? I have seen reviews knocking it because the aluminum has less heft and knocking it because the design is unproven. Does anyone have an opinion on the inferiority/superiority/equality of the Ridgid aluminum v. cast iron trunnions?

Welcome to the forum!

First, I'm really not sure about the actual material the trunnions are made from, but it might be that they aren't aluminum, but Zinc alloy----at least that's what mine are.

Mine are on an older Emerson saw, but from the pictures I've seen of the later trunnions, they appear not to be as thick or beefy, which could be a factor. Otherwise, I've never had the slightest problem with mine. They used to regularly go out of alignment, but when I had the saw apart, I sanded the bottoms (where the attach to the table) perfectly flat, and did the same on the mating surface-----added a micro-adust (which the 3650 already has. Since then, the saw has stayed in perfect alignment.
    Dave

Comment

dozuki - I've read that the Ridgid trunnions are cast aluminum and I've read that they're die-cast zinc. Not certain. I see no reason to consider either material superior to cast iron because neither material is as strong as cast iron. A couple of years ago a magazine made note of the cast aluminum trunnions and questioned the use of it. Either way it's hard to know whether or not the weaker material will be an issue for the average home woodworker. Could take years before we know.

Comment

Can't say as I've ever heard or read about any problems with the RIDGID trunnions. I can report that I have read some groundless, unsubstantiated speculations that they may be, could possibly be, not as good as others.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
        X