X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw- SEEK ADVICE

I need to buy a 10 Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw. I would like members to impart their knowledge upon me.

***Remember this is for framing construction and not woodworking...but I know most of you guys will aim me strait...but I know precision is paramount for woodworkers....not necessarily for construction hacks like me..

MUST BE A SLIDING COMPOUND 10" MITRE

Criteria
    1. Money not really an issue.
    2. Weight
    3. Slow start or brake might be nice
    4. Any brand that is construction grade.
    5 Laser line up

On the positive end, I suspect you won't hear anything that you don't already suspect given popular brands. I figure you just want to hear the bomb that makes you cross a brand off the list.

Can't help with that, but I do really like the Makita 10" model.

Comment

Makita LS1013 10" SCMS. Nuff said.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

ya know...people say the same with Makita though the reviews on the new Porter Cable are swaying me hard....guys who previosly owned Makita or Bosch are switching....
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=228013

Comment

I have the makita ls1013 and it is a dual bevel which the PC is not. The laser is not a big issue on a slider to me because you can move the blade along the cut line.
          Harbor Freight has recon. for a good price.

Comment

The latest version of the Hitachi 10" slider is a double-bevel with a laser for $499 at Lowe's. It feels very nice, and I've heard good things about some of the Hitachi tools- don't have any first-hand experience, though.

Comment

I went with Bosch....got 20% off at lowes...it had the smothest cut...and easy mitre settings...

Comment

Delta/Rockwell used to make exactly what you want - the Sawbuck. They were basically small, horizontal versions of a panel saw. They're durable (I've had mine since 1982), more portable since the stand was an integral part of the unit, and they will compound miter a 2x12 (great for framing hips and valleys). They still make the Sidekick 36-250, but its just a 10 sliding miter with a built-in stand ($420 at Amazon). It doesn't have a laser, but I question whether you can see any miter saw laser outdoors in full sun. Anyone out there tried it? Also, you generally can't compound miter anything above 2x8 with one.

You may want to consider how well an expensive sliding miter saw would hold up for framing duty. Repeatedly dropping heavy pieces of lumber on the table might break it, bend it, or at least loosen it up pretty quickly. Framing is really tough on tools. A used Sawbuck, used radial arm, or cheap miter saw might serve you just as well. I see lots of guys leave old radials on the job. They're so heavy and worthless, no one would even think of stealing them. Sorry to be a little contrary, but you asked for input. I've been building homes on and off since 1976 and I wouldn't put a $500 sliding miter on the job until siding or trim.

Comment

On our crew, we do ALL of our framing with worm drive Skilsaws. We use Mag 77s and bring the saw to the wood rather than the wood to the saw. I'm not sure why you would want a mitre saw for framing anyway? Maybe I'm missing something?

Comment

Working...
                  X