X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table versus Cabinet mounted Trunnion

I've heard the opinion expressed that a cabinet mounted trunnion is better than a table mounted trunnion for table saws. Can someone illuminate this for me? My own sense of logic tells me I'd want the trunnion matched to the cutting surface, not the super-structure of the saw. Thanks.
    Richard

I'm far from an expert, so sorry if I goof any of this up. A trunnion mounted to the table top will transmit more vibration....in theory. Most of the better modern saws with contractor style trunnions mounted from the table have neglible vibration anyway, especially those that are equipped with serpentine or link belts.

The bigger issue is alignment. Cabinet mounted trunnions are easier to align and hold alignment better. Most cabinet trunnions are also massive in comparison. With the introduction of the new Sears mini cabinet saws and hybrids, the gap between traditional size contractor trunnions and industrial cabinet saw trunnions has closed a bit. Most hybrid saw trunnions are table mounted and have the same basic design as contractor saw trunnions, but are a little beefier. The Sears mini cabinet saw trunnions are also beefier than most contractor saws. Both are much lighter duty than those on the big cabinet saws.

Most table mounted or contractor style trunnions use connecting rods between the front and the back. When the blade is tilted it can place a bit of stress on the rods and create minor distortion of the trunnions which results in heeling of the blade. I'm not sure if the same thing occur on saws with internally mounted motors. This is also a theoretical (read minor) issue and one that I've never noticed on my contractor saw.

[ 01-20-2005, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Knot Me ]

Comment

Working...
    X