X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word of caution (receipts)

I charge everything and just throw the receipts in a drawer when I get home, yesterday the drawer overflowed and I succumbed to the inevitable task of purging the old receipts. Lesson learned:
    12-month old HD receipts: Starting to show signs of deteriorating.
    15-month old HD receipts: Becoming illegible.
    18-month old HD receipts: Almost all white (no chance in hell of using it for a warranty claim).

So do whatever it is you have to do to protect these documents or you just may have a blank piece of paper if and when the need ever arises.

Woodslayer

I'm going to laminate mine. NOT the heat kind, because the receipt will turn all black. Just the the kind you buy at Target or Walmart for $2-3 dollars. Just sticky plastic.
    You can also ask HD to print out an extra Warranty receipt (not good for returns).

Comment

I’ll be the first one to admit total ignorance to this, do we have any subject matter experts that can attest to nlp’s method of eliminating/vastly reducing contact with air succeeding in preserving our receipts.

Thanks

Woodslayer

Comment

Just run a photocopy, and laminate the photocopy. Ridgid has stated that the original has no magic properties; any properly preserved copy will do.

Comment

I did what Mark stated, and photocopied and laminated all my recipts, but make sure to keep the orignal with it, even if it becomes iledgible. HomeDepot will not accept a laminated copy, unless its acompanied by the original.

Ryan

Comment

One of those felt Crown Royal bags with the draw string would be perfect for originals, wouldn't it?

Hmm, that gives me an idea....

Comment

Originally posted by TRS Ry-Dog:
              I did what Mark stated, and photocopied and laminated all my recipts, but make sure to keep the orignal with it, even if it becomes iledgible. HomeDepot will not accept a laminated copy, unless its acompanied by the original.

Ryan
              whoaaaaaaaaaaa - say what????
              I been using copies for years (business reason) and never had a problem, including earlier this week returning some roofing materials from end of September in amount ofhair over $510 total. 7 or 8 copies of receipts involved too.
              This must be store specific or something, no? Heck - I returned at store I don't believe even one receipt came from.
              We spend a lot there but have no HD CC, no one store we deal with, and 95% of time the CS person doesn't know us. Never encountered this deal - I know they do a fade trick as I dealt with IRS business audit and they mostly illegible after 2 years so thats reason we started the copy thing on weekly basis. Just a plain vanilla copy machine and they never blink when I say why - which I always do first thing.
              So everyone having this issue???
              Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

These thermal receipts are driving me nuts as well. Seems everyone where I need a business expense receipt has one-----as stated, photocopying it and keeping the original as safe as possible, is only choice.
                Dave

Comment

you can thank visa / mc for that. Thermal receipts are b/c they have less moving parts. So machines don't break so much. Sucks that the receipts dont' last

Jake

Comment

Copies are fine. Each receipt has a bar code on it that is in the store's computer. The bar code reader will read the copy.

Home Depot will not want the legal liability of refusing copies, since their thermal copies will self destruct with time. Failure to honor the copies establishes a clear intent to aborrogate their contractual responsibility under the Magnusson-Moss Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975, and the subsequent revisions to the Code of Federal Regulations, establishing warranty rules. If their receipts don't last the life of the warranty, they must honor a reasonable facsimile.

They won't want to open the door to litigation of the sort.

The WILL honor copies of receipts for the warranty.

Comment

Cranky,

I think the main reason they didn't like my copied reciept the one time was the fact that it was laminated, only one person complained about it. I'm sure down the road it will be fine for warranty issues etc. Other HD associates loved the photocopy and laminating the reciept idea and started suggesting it to other customers for warranty claims.

Ryan

Comment

The Ridgid Rep. said a photo copy was fine for a warranty claim. I'll make several. FYI If you go to HD cutomer service they will gave you a print out(on regular paper) of your recipt, it's NOT a photo copy. It's not valid for refunds or exchanges, but they said it was fine for warranty claims. It has no bar code, which makes me nervous, so I'll just photo copy the orginal.

Comment

Working...
                        X