X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warranty may not be as good as advertised

I planed approximately 8 boards with my 13" planer when I first bought this. I went to use it again after about a year or so, and the motor burned right out. I happened to have the camera handy to photograph the project I was going to work on.

Check out pictures of the motor smoking after it burned out:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/deanhaas/
    (click the "burned out" slidehow on the upper right of the page)

Home depot says I may have to pay a "diagnostic fee", plus other charges for parts. I thought this was a "lifetime warranty". If I wind up having to pay, I'll never buy ridgid again.

Why is Home Depot involved in this? After a years time any problems should be handled by an authorized Ridgid Service Center.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Nice pics Dean, definetly supports the theory that all things that plug in run on a certain quantity of smoke -- once you let the smoke out they cease to work [img]tongue.gif[/img]
      Seriously, any Ridgid repair center will fix it free of charge, I find that if I get the wrong answer from a HD employee I keep asking different people until I get the correct answer.
      Check here for service centers
      Ridgid Service Centers

Comment

Thanks for the service center link. When you buy these Ridgid tools, the Home Depot stresses the lifetime warranty & (at the very least) implies that the HD backs them. That has always been my impression.

But, sometimes you wind up talking to an orange apron that doesn't know a hammer from a nail. Perhaps I was misled or confused.

Comment

Dean, you are right. I found out also that HD does not back the Ridgid warranty but they seem to imply it when you buy there. I have a local service center in my neighborhood that does honor the the warranty though. They have one of my drills right now. Good luck.

Comment

Anyone unfamiliar with the Ridgid warranties can find them here. Just click on the catagory of Ridgid product you have a question on.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
            X