opinion on air compressor....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinion on air compressor....

Bad luck with Campbell Hausfield air compressors.Just got a refund from Wal-Mart on a 5.5 hp, 20 gal., 135 psi that lasted about 10 months.Use it for air (cleaning, tires,etc.), nailing, and every now and then impact wrench.Not something I use every day and when I do, its for short periods of time.Drain tank every few weeks and its indoors of course. This is the 3rd C.H. unit I have had in the past 6 years! Any recommedations welcomed.I see that Ridgid makes an electric unit.Anyone care to comment on their unit? Want to spend about $ 300 or less.Thanks......

I HAVE A STANLEY 6 GAL 1.5 HP COMPRESSOR. DELIVERS 3.4 CFM @40 PSI AND 2.7 @90 PSI. RUNS PRETTY MUCH WHATEVER I THROW AT IT, ONE AT A TIME...IMPACT WRENCH, FRAMING NAILER. DRAIN IT AFTER EVERY USE. COST $150 AT COSTCO AND CAME WITH A STANLEY BRAD NAILER. ITS NOWHERE NEAR THE CAPACITY OF THE 10 HP, 100 GAL, 3PHASE UNIT AT MY PLACE OF BUSINESS, BUT I HAVE A LOT OF RESPECT FOR THAT LITTLE STANLEY.
    IF YOU\'RE WORKING HARD, YOU\'RE DOING IT WRONG

Comment

On different forums there have been several discussions about the CH compressors essentially what has been said is their nothing but trouble & not worth taking home. It seems that the plastic line & pressure switch is their weak spot. Home Depot stocks Husky which is nothing more than a CH in red paint. I have heard that Ingersoll Rand or Quincey are the way to go if you only want to by once & never again anything else is just an imitating wannabe. Be prepared to pay a little more. The upright 60 gal.Ingersoll Rand is about $105 more at Northern tool than the Husky 60 gal. upright at Home Depot with free shipping.

[ 07-24-2005, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: VLL ]

Comment

after looking around for a new air compressor I believe I made a good choice even though I went back with a CH.Got the Husky VT 6315 Pro from Home Depot.It has a 3 year warranty and is a twin v,oil/belt driven unit.Seems to be well made, much more quiet and recycles fast.Paid $360 , actually cost is $399 but got 10% off with coupon so I am happy.

Comment

Re: opinion on air compressor....

how's the husky compressor holding up?

Comment

Originally posted by funkymonkey1111 View Post
            how's the husky compressor holding up?
            kenny g. hasn't posted on the forum since 05/26/06 so it may be awhile before he answers you.
            ================================================== ====
            All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny g. View Post
              Bad luck with Campbell Hausfield air compressors.Just got a refund from Wal-Mart on a 5.5 hp, 20 gal., 135 psi that lasted about 10 months.Use it for air (cleaning, tires,etc.), nailing, and every now and then impact wrench.Not something I use every day and when I do, its for short periods of time.Drain tank every few weeks and its indoors of course. This is the 3rd C.H. unit I have had in the past 6 years! Any recommedations welcomed.I see that Ridgid makes an electric unit.Anyone care to comment on their unit? Want to spend about $ 300 or less.Thanks......
              Campbell-Hausfeld makes the Ridgid compressors. I have the 4.5 gallon, 150 psi, oil-free Ridgid unit and it works sensationally. Paid $259 for it.

I always drain the tank after use, and even tilt the thing backwards while low-pressure air rushes out to force out as much moisture as possible. I do that several times over a several day period to make sure the interior of the tanks is dry. Yeah, I do not use it much these days.

Howard ferstler

Comment

I own the Dewalt D55168 15 gal stand up compressor. I would suggest it as a good compressor as well. The tank holds 200psi, rather than your traditional 135psi. I have not had to wait on this compressor yet. It also runs very quiet, which is a big plus in my line of work. I believe they are about the same price as the Husky 30 gal from the Depot.

Comment

I have the Husky 60 gal vertical (yes, it is made by Campbell Hausfield) and have used it heavily for about six or seven years now. It has worked exceptionally well. I drain the tank of moisture daily. The only "problem" I have had with it concerned the brush assembly on the Emerson motor...it was hanging up on the armature shaft and only making contact on one side, causing the breaker to open. I initially thought it was the Condor pressure switch, and ordered one. I never installed it as I found the problem with the brush assembly. I freed it up, lubed it and all has been well ever since. I also still have my Campbell Hausfield "U.S. Air" 2hp/11 gal unit that I bought at Montgomery Ward many, many moons ago. It's a single cylinder direct drive oil lubed unit with a cast iron cylinder. I literally abused the little thing for years before getting the Husky. It still works as good as it did when I bought it. The gauge manifold is really cheesy and I have had to replace the pop in gauges with some NPT versions, but other than that, it keeps on truckin'

So I have not had any problems with CH compressors and generally preferred them to the DeVilbiss and Sanborn units that they were competing with. Quincy and IR make quality units as do a number of others. I considered the 60 gal IR unit sold by Northern and Home Depot-at the time-but didn't feel that it represented any significant improvement over the CH.

Kim
                  Last edited by roadster05; 11-02-2008, 08:13 AM.

Comment

With an I-R to get a serious gain in both air output and overall quality you should look for a package with a type 30 compressor pump on it. Please see picture. These are normally V 2 types and are cast iron block.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Woussko; 11-02-2008, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X