X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mobil bases

I'm looking for a mobil base for my Ridgid thickness planner and my jointer. Any suggestions?

Most mobil bases that I have looked at won't fit either the 12 x 30 jointer or the 31 x 22 planner.

Why doesn't Ridgid make bases for their tools??

Why not build your own? A couple of pieces of 5/8" or 3/4" plywood glued together would be strong enough to support either machine. Mount some HD double locking swivel casters to the plywood and you're good to go.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Idturner the Herculift Plus will fit your planer stand. It's made by Ridgid but it may be hard to find one. Call Ridgid and ask if it's still available. It's well worth the effort and is the best mobile stand I've ever used for an open stand like your planer has. I like the ones I make in shop for my tools. I just sandwich 2 3/4" pieces of plywood together and put whatever casters I like on it. I have one under my Ridgid jointer and I can move it around the shop with one finger. You can buy commercial stands and some are very good. HTC makes a good base, Shop Fox makes very strong bases but are not as easily moved around as HTC. I have 2 Shop Fox bases and I replaced the nonswiveling casters on one end and it moves a lot easier.

Comment

Harbor Freight sells a mobile base kit that is similar to the Delta model. You use hardwood for the runners and the kit comes with the corners and single front caster. If you catch it on sale it is about $20. I've got one under my bandsaw, and it does just fine.

Comment

RS, FWIW Harbor Freight discontinued those bases a couple of years ago. I can't tell you why for sure but my gut tells me that they probably got into a little legal tug-a war with someone over patent design.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

This is a long post so I have to do it in segments to post it to the website.
            Part 1.)
            I just bought the Rigid Jointer/Planner at HD. I searched this site for suggestions on a mobile base and there were many good ones. I went with the Delta Universal Mobile Base which I got at Lowe’s for about $55 bucks. Just finished assembling my base and jointer last night and it works like a charm. It is very stable and easy to move. The wider footprint of the mobile base makes the whole thing stable, no apparent tippiness problems as mentioned elsewhere on the site. What I did was put together the cabinet of the jointer as per the instructions in the manual and loaded in the motor and bolted that loosely. Then I put on the back panel of the cabinet so that the whole cabinet would be squared up like it will be during final assembly. At this point do not yet attach the cabinet to the bed of the planner. Now you make and attach your mobile base. I got a piece of 2x4 birch plywood 3/4" thick. I flipped the jointer cabinet upright and set it on the plywood. Trace the outline of the cabinet onto the plywood and cut out your pattern. Flip the whole cabinet upside down again and put the plywood on top of the bottom of the cabinet. Bolt the plywood to the cabinet using the holes where the leveling legs should go. I used the leveling legs as the bolts. I used a pencil to make a circle in the leveling leg holes to mark the location on the plywood. Then I drilled a 1-1/2" hole using a Irwin woodboring drill bit at each of the four points into the plywood to a depth of the leveling leg bases, about 3/8" deep so that the leveling legs will be flush with the face of the plywood. Drill out the center of each hole to the same diameter as the bolt. Bolt the plywood using the leveling legs to the cabinet using one washer and nut supplied, you don’t need the second washer and nuts as you won't be using these to level the mobile base. This way my jointer leveling legs are always with the planner and won't get lost in case I want to change the setup at some future date. Next I glued up two 3/4"x1-1/2" pieces of hardwood (maple) I had laying around for the mobile base rails. Go to Part 2 of my post.

Comment

Part 2.) of mobile base for Planner.
              The rails are supposed to be 1.5x1.5 inches thick but I found they fit in the mobile base channels if they are about a 1/16" shy of that so I ripped them down a tad using my table saw fence and sanded them smooth. Lay the four corners of the mobile base on top of the plywood bolted to the bottom of the cabinet. Decide where you want the lift mechanism. Some like to put it under the outfeed table. I put mine at the backside of the cabinet and it works great. Where you put the lift mechanism will determine where you put your mobile base wheels and their orientation. Install the wheels. Cut your hardwood stock to length and assemble the mobile base around the plywood/cabinet. The base directions say to drill a 7/16" holes in the frame for the bolts but that is much bigger than the diameter of the bolts. I laid the hardwood in the frame and marked the bolt holes carefully and drilled holes the same diameter as the bolt hole while everything rested ontop the plywood. Bolt it all together. Drill and install leveling legs drilling holes into hardwood frame the same diameter as the mobile base leveling leg bolt. Attach the lift mechanism last. Now that the base is assembled and sitting on the plywood, drill 1/2" diameter holes through the plywood at the eight holes in the mobile base bottom assembly. You'll see what I mean if you have this base. Using 1/2" x 1-1/2" bolts with a washer on each side. Voila. Your mobile base is done and affixed. Next you now attach the cabinet with base to the jointer table assembly. After that is done flip the whole thing right side up, best done with two people but I managed it myself. Now remove the cabinet back panel and finish mounting the motor. This is easier done when the whole thing is right side up using the weight of the motor to tension the belt. Bolt the motor and continue with the directions as laid out in the manual. When complete figure where you will typically roll your planner to and adjust the leveling legs of the mobile base for that location. Once finished the mobile base works very slick and I'm very happy with the results.

Comment

At my age I'm finding it harder and harder to kneel, stretch and reach. When I put my shop made mobile base on my Ridgid jointer I had the back cover off and as I said it's hard for me to reach under the cover and hold the nuts so I can remove the cover if I need to. I put some Gorilla glue on the carriage bolts and inserted them in the holes from the backside and let the glue set overnight. I put the cover in place and put the nuts on the bolts from the outside. Now if I need to I can remove the cover without bending and reaching.

Comment

Working...
                X