X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Hazard?

About half a year ago when I got into woodworking I got a ryobi tablesaw which I've been happy with though I now there are better brands. The next tools I get will probably not be Ryobi. The motor is right below the blade inside of the base. I've seen designs in magazines including wood magazine for a mobile base with dust collection and was wondering if haver the motor enclosed where the sawdust is coming out is a fire hazard.
    Thanks,
    Fisherkid

I do recall seeing a post where a BT3100 did catch fire. It was some time ago (maybe two years). However, I don't necessarily consider that to be a fault of the saw's design. In my book, that can be contributed to just pretty poor housekeeping!

A TEFC motor would be less susceptable to dust conditions, but there are an awful lot of tools out there that have open motors. So whether your tool uses an induction or universal motor (like the Ryobi BT3100), saw dust will find its way into the windings or electricals of any woodshop tool. Same is true with mist from any spray equipment one might use for finishing. It is essential that any shop tool be kept relatively clean and certainly from a fire hazard perspective, blowing out and/or vacuuming excess dust should be habitual.

CWS

[ 11-25-2005, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

I have the BTS15. I'll probably change the plans slightly so it's more open so the sawdust isn't right there. but Can still be eisily hooked up to the shop vac. Thanks for you response.

Comment

Working...
      X