Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woodslayer:
    Bench Dog

If you don’t mind me asking, what shortcomings did the DeWalt possess that were significant enough to persuade you to purchase a similar saw from a competitor? Just curious, I had always heard good things about the DeWalt in the past.

Woodslayer
    I don't mind. The 746 is a good saw but at about even money there are some newer hybrids that offer some advantages. The fence on the 746 was an improvement over my old Craftsman fence, but wasn't in the same league as the General's fence. The 746 also came with steel wings...didn't think I would care, but over time I realized that I wanted the solid cast iron...with better foresight I would have just gotten them in the first place. If that had been the only improvement, I would have just added them to the 746. Also, I really like the full cabinet and the 4" DC port of the 50-220. The General just takes the improvements of the Dewalt to the next level. I don't want to say I'll never get another saw, but after a year I'm still thoroughly satisfied and don't know what more I'd want or need, or what else I'd get to replace it. Literally no complaints with a good blade and an aftermarket miter gauge (both of which I already had). I don't have 220v, don't need more power, and have no urges for a bigger saw. The first time the saw bogs, I'll clean the blade...the 2nd time it bogs I'll sharpen it, but so far that hasn't happened!
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Bench Dog

I had always wondered about the value of a saw with steel wings in that price range, I’m sure that the price has scared a lot of probable customers off after they option it out.

I find the fact that you purchased another new table saw in a relatively short period of time rather refreshing. We woodworkers generally want to buy a tool only once and keep it for life, I’m not sure where that mindset originates or why it exists. You could outfit a small shop for the amount of money a new vehicle depreciates when you drive it off the lot but that continues to be an all to common practice (at least in this part of the country).

I’ll have to keep the General hybrid in mind if I ever decide to upgrade, it sounds like a sweet saw.

Woodslayer

Comment

Long time lurker here, first time poster. I tend to not chime in around these boards much, but thought sharing my help give you some insights. My 25 year old contractor saw was fine for cutting framing lumber but had some issues that were becoming an obstacle for woodworking and weren’t worth the cost to fix. I tend to overresearch and overbuy for many of my tools since I’ve transitioned from DIYer to Wwer (1st BS is a Minimax MM16, 1st jointer is an 8” Griz 0586). My TS hunt led early to researching the Griz 1023 similar to a friend’s, then the General 650 Millenium, then a Delta Unisaw, and I finally settled on a Craftsman 22124. The General had my trigger finger twitching for weeks (beautiful tool), but I just couldn’t justify spending that much for a saw…same with the Uni, and even the Grizzly by the time I decked it out. When I started looking at the features of the Craftsman and reading the owner comments, I started to consider it seriously. A good sale price prompted me to jump after a 2 year search. It’s been a great saw and has been perfect for my needs. It’s really a step above the previous saws bearing the Craftsman name and is a beautiful machine that bridges the gap between contractor saw and commercial cabinet saw. The fence and blade are great, but the most noticeable improvement is the stability of it. It feels like my friend’s 1023 and weighs nearly as much. I added the Sears mobility kit for $25 and it rolls easily in my shop. The fence is identical to what’s on the Uni and General….the fence alone sells for about $350. For a small premium I purchased a 5 year in home warranty extension that I’m comfortable with. In fairness, I’ve not used the Ridgid saw. Based on what I read I’m sure it’s fine, but can’t imagine what it can do that the 22124 can’t. The Sears costs more for sure, but I think it buys you several advantages. Highly recommended.

p.s. Here's a nice pick of the cabinet mounted trunnions.

[ 11-14-2005, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: TomP ]

Comment

Tom P - I think our own Andrew Bennidetto has a fairly new 22124 that he's just as happy with as you. He's also a seasoned veteran who seems particular and rational about his approach to tools.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the invaluable information!!!

I am now leaning towards the craftsman as I will most likely not upgrade to 220 volts in the near future and if I can get the craftsman on sale it looks like it would be worth it over the ridgid. NO DISRESPECT intended nor implied! I will check out the general but what model would you suggest?

Everyone has been great and I hope to pay back the time everyone has put into this discussion in the near future.

Comment

GI has 3 versions of their hybrid:
              50-220C (that has an average aluminum fence ~ $750)
              50-220CM1 (30" rip Biesemeyer fence ~ $850-$900)
              50-220CLM1 (50" rip Biese fence ~ $930)

Most folks prefer the Biese, but it does cost a bit more...I don't think you'll regret getting it though. If you've got the room, the longer rails aren't much more.

Have fun!

Comment

Don't know about Griz table saws or any other of their tools, so this post won't help you much, but I just wanted to throw in a good word for Griz. I bought a portable 5 1/8" 18 volt trim saw of theirs several years ago. It's awesome. It fits my hand good, is lite and easy to handle, and makes good cuts, and the Panasonic battery actually lasts quite awhile, has a nice hard case and super quiet. It's plastic but I have'nt broken it yet even on construction sites, and anyway what is'nt plastic anymore. It cost almost half of what comparable Porter Cables, Makitas and DeWalts did. That said, going by my experience with it, I would probably buy another of their tools.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hewood:
                  [QB] GI has 3 versions of their hybrid:

Most folks prefer the Biese, but it does cost a bit more...I don't think you'll regret getting it though. If you've got the room, the longer rails aren't much more.

HOW MANY AMPS DO THE GENERAL SAWS DRAW??? I am not an electrician and very very little experience w/ this topic. I would consider the general because I hear they have great products. But I will only have access to 110 volt most likely!!!

ALSO what is the difference btwn 110v and 120v? Well besides 10v!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by means42:
                    I have narrowed my table saw search down to 3 main saws and keep going back and forth on which one to purchase.... I know the table saw is the center piece to any good shop so I REALLY NEED everyones professional opinion...

I am considering

(1) Ridgid TS3650 ($549.00)

(2) Craftsman Mfr. model #OR35504 ($800-$900)

(3) Grizzly G1023S110 ($895.00)

I am aware that 2 and 3 are more of a cabinet style saw and are a little more in price... I am willing to go that high if advised, BUT if I chose the Ridgid I can get the saw and a joiner or planer for the same price as 2 and 3.

I really dont want to have to upgrade later. I am a weekend warrior w/ another profession so any of these saw either way should last and be sufficient for my needs...(build furniture oak/pine/walnut, etc). HOWEVER, I want to purchase 1 saw and be donw w/ it. I have read numerous reviews and messages all seem to be good, but what is the best of the 2? I have put myhands on the Ridgid and Craftsman but not the Grizzly.

See my dilema?
                    You will get all kinds of advice but I have visited more than a few production shops and I have seen a lot of contractor saws serving faithfully year in and year out.
                    First any of these saws will serve you the rest of your life. The only reason to buy something better is if your in production work and using a power feeder or you simply want something else.

That said I would eliminate the Grizzly because you have no local dealer support. I want someone I can look eye to eye with when I have a problem.

I personally swore never to buy anything from Sears that had a motor or engine in it. That policy came into being when I got stuck with a piece of junk and all they would offer is repair it. Repair time was months.

I know everyone says their saw is made by Orion and Orion is servicing it. But my question is how long will that last. The name on the machine is Sears someday the Orion contract with Sears is going to end and then you will have to deal with Sears. Something I don't care to do.

That said if I could buy a Sears saw at the prices they were selling them for last year $500 tax and title out the door for the mid priced unit, which retails at $649 before taxes, I might take a chance. But I will be darn if I going to pay any more than someone else for the same saw and since Sears has eliminated most add on discounts the best I have see the saw for was $549 plus tax.

That leaves the Ridgid. To me in the contractor saw line there is nothing better. It has Cast Iron arbor supports where most others are two steel tubes or bars (the tubes can rack and cause alignment problems. It has a blade shroud for dust control. It comes with mobile base which is at least a $50 option of everything else. It has local dealer however service is not done by HD so that could be a problem.
                    Rev Ed

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by means42:
                      Originally posted by hewood:
                      [QB] GI has 3 versions of their hybrid:

HOW MANY AMPS DO THE GENERAL SAWS DRAW??? I am not an electrician and very very little experience w/ this topic. I would consider the general because I hear they have great products. But I will only have access to 110 volt most likely!!!

ALSO what is the difference btwn 110v and 120v? Well besides 10v!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      The GI 50-220's have a motor rated to draw < 12 amps @ 110v. 110v and 120v are essentially the same...just a bit of a misnomer...same with 115v.

Comment

110 volts is just for rating purposes. 120v is the ideal but you can have a 5% voltage drop so you really could get about 114 volts.
                        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Working...
                        X