X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Blocks for BS1400

Well i receintley came across a set of AC5007's on ebay for about 12 bucks.

I can't help but notice that order tree is very proud of their AC5007's. $29.58??????

Turns out these are the same size as the jet band saws so you can get them at rockler, etc for about 12 bucks. 1/2"X1/2"x3/4"

But then I found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

If that doesn't work, go to ebay and do a search for completed item number 437195479

Gentlemen custom makes them for a fraction of the cost.

Just wanted to pass this along

ED
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Or just use 1/2" dowels, work better than cool blocks , last alot longer, and ALOT cheaper.Havent found anything that beats em yet
    \"practice is like farting; only you can do it yourself\' and no one can do it for you\"-sawaki kodo (zen master)

Comment

WOOD?

I would assume that they would heat up/burn/excessive friction?

I guess not as you are posting that this is what you use, and I am kind of new to the band saw, i guess i would wonder how often you need a new blade, etc.

My understanding is that the cool blocks limit friction keeping the blade cooler so it lasts longer? It would seem to me wood would defeat this purpose?

Comment

Thats what i thought also, a friend of mine does the same thing with the dowels, has for years .Ive always thought it was crazy when he would pick on me about buying cool blocks just to be "cool". Well i tried it despite thinking it was a little redneck sounding and its work great. Never heard of anyone else doing it ,now its in the "2005 405 best-ever shop tips" from the editors of wood magazine,page 32. so it must not be to new of an idea.
        \"practice is like farting; only you can do it yourself\' and no one can do it for you\"-sawaki kodo (zen master)

Comment

Definately worth looking into. I would have never thought to use wood.

I bought my band saw as an display closeout for 199.00. It was missing a few things, two of the guide blocks being one of them. Small things, nothing too expensive. I bought it at the end of the fall last year and have not even set it up yet. it will be getting up and running in the next few weeks.

I bought a set of cool blocks from rockler that were a bit too small, they did not have any marked for ridgid. It turns out the jet ones work. But i did find the ridgid ones on ebay so i picked them up, new in the pkg.

when they wear out, before buying a new set, will try the wood idea.

I assume it is a hardwood? oak or such? or do you use softwood dowels?

Thanks

Comment

I use oak.

Comment

any wax/or lubricant of any type?

Comment

I use white Oak and soak them in baby oil overnight then let them dry out for a couple days before installing. Works good for me.
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

http://www.prairieriverwoodworking.com/Specials.asp

$8.99 + shipping for cool blocks.
                  The HF roller blades $15? I use them except for narrow blades. I would think the dowels would heat up the blade but the spm on the BS1400 is slow,maybe that is why it works?

Comment

Working...
                  X