Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to stir the pot more...but if that's the case, CujoHD, then why does the sign above the tools, as Frank observed, read "Reconditioned 1 year warranty"?

[ 12-09-2005, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: canadave ]

Comment

Frank, I'm not trying to stir the pot either but where are you located? I have no doubt that what you're saying is correct but I'd feel a little more comfortable with your story if someone else from your area could confirm what you're saying.

[ 12-09-2005, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: BadgerDave ]
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by canadave:
        Not to stir the pot more...but if that's the case, CujoHD, then why does the sign above the tools, as Frank observed, read "Reconditioned 1 year warranty"?
        Well my best guess is that they are signed wrong.
        Jeff

Comment

Fair enough. If that's the case, though, then I think it's a pretty drastic error, and one that should be corrected pronto.

Comment

i have never seen a ridgid factory reconditioned tools.. which ridgid tools?? what i know is used tools.

Comment

Don't know if this link will work, but what is the concensus behind these? Just "used", or "reconditioned" by the factory?

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...D=9876&pos=p01

Click the link, then go to "Reconditioned Tools" on the left side of the page...
              Nate

Comment

reconditioned

I know on the dewalt reconditioned tools they scribe an r on the tool housing and the same with makita and milw.they all have an r scribed on them and all come with some kind of warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by ndv5623
                  Don't know if this link will work, but what is the concensus behind these? Just "used", or "reconditioned" by the factory?
                  I could be wrong about this but when I see reconditioned tools advertised I think of two different possibilities;

1. Factory Reconditioned = A tool that has been repaired or refurbished back to the level of meeting the same specifications, including parts, as a new in box tool. Usually carries a factory warranty.

2. Reconditioned = A tool that has been repaired or refurbished to the level that it works. Parts used to accomplish this may or may not be supplied by the OEM. Usually sold as is.

Seeing that HD doesn't say factory reconditioned I can only guess that these are tools that were returned by customers to HD under the 90 day satisfaction guarantee program.
                  Last edited by BadgerDave; 01-04-2006, 08:06 PM.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

CUJOHD,

Are these Rigid representitives trained tool repair technicians or are they salesmen? Without testing and/or taking a tool apart how could anyone say there is nothing wrong with it. That tool needs to be used under load on a work bench to simulate actual use. Just pulling a trigger and watching a chuck go around means nothing if it slips and wobbles constantly under load. Same with watching a circular saw or any other power tool.

I've had salesmen tell me there was nothing wrong with something only to find out later they were lying through their teeth or had no clue as to what they were talking about.

Buying anything off the clearance table is a gamble. You get what you pay for. Unless its in a sealed box its probably better left lying there.

Also watch for a half dozen new boxes on a clearance table with a bright sales tag on them. Regardless of the store or company these are often the same price as the other new ones on their regular shelf space. I've caught all the tool stores playing that little game.

Another tool store had a tool on clearance because the box was damaged. Full warranty and everything. When I went back to check the regular price I found the store was running a sale on that same model tool for nearly 25% less than the damaged box model on clearance. I witnessed that damaged box item sell before I left the store. The guy was smiling like he just found Nirvana.
                    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

reconditioned tools

The tools i see from dewalt,makita,and milw. all have an r scribed on the housing and most come with sometype of warranty.

Comment

Over the Christmas holiday, I noticed that my local HD had three 18 v cordless drills market "reconditioned". No outer wrap, box, or whatever. Just the normal cases, stacked up with what appears to be a "manager's tag" hand written and signed by the manager and clearly written out as "reconditioned". Price savings was about $75. I opened all three of the cases and what a mess. These things were all complete, with two batteries, the charger, and the drill with 90-degree assist handle. But they were clearly beaten, showing dirt, scuffs and the over all marking of being out on more than a few tough jobs!

So, how can they be reconditioned? Especially when it was obvious from the dirt that they probably ventured no further than the back room to have who knows do a repair or whatever. I just don't see this as good business and I would guess that no one else did either as they were still there at the beginning of the week. My personal opinion is that they should have been returned to the factory or at at least marked as "used, clearance".

Just my two cents,

CWS

Comment

Yeah, I am just wondering what a person would get over the HD website when purchasing something like this... Do they get the "badly used" tools like we have all seen in a store, or do they actually come back to them from Ridgid all cleaned up and tested like a new tool is (or isn't in the case of some of the tools I have bought before). I just find it interesting that they advertise them along with Ryobi "refurbished" tools. Maybe I should just buy one over the website and see what it is for the sake of "research". If I could take it back to the store, I maybe should try it.....
                          Nate

Comment

"Maybe I should just buy one over the website and see what it is for the sake of "research". If I could take it back to the store, I maybe should try it....."

Never mind

• ***Reconditioned Tool--All Sales are Final ***
                            Nate

Comment

I just purchased a 12" sliding mitre from hd and when I recieve it I will report on the condition of reconditioned. HD customer service said I will get the full 3yr limited warranty

Comment

Better get it in writing!
                                Lorax
                                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Working...
                                X