Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing of it is, where's the savings. Unless you're in a big hurry, you can do a lot better just by keeping tabs on the local store. For instance, it seems to me that the 2400 was on sale for that price just a couple of months ago. Maybe I'm wrong, but a brand new 2400 only sells for about $400 doesn't it? I also recall that the Ryobi TS15 also went for only a little more than their "reconditioned" price. Heck, I bought the Ryobi 3100 for only $150, after the the mail-in rebate.

Here are a couple of other items that were better bargains than the online "reconditioned" items:

The reconditioned Ryobi TS1340 SMS at $75. I bought a brand new TS1341 (newer model) for only $59 back at the beginning of December when it was on sale. I then took it back, just before Christmas and bought the Ridgid Finished Carpenter Combo for $200: It consists of the Ridgid 10" CMS and the straight finish nailer.

They're now asking $129 for the reconditioned Ridgid 10" CMS, and for the last three days (ends on Wednesday 1/11/06) you can buy the Finish Carpenter Combo (same saw, plus 16 ga Straight Finish Nailer) for $175! (a MUCH better bargain, and it NEW!)

I know when the Cummins truck comes around I look at their "reconditioned" and have yet to see where you save more than 10 or 15% over brand new normal retail. It's probably just me, but I don't consider that buying reconditioned/used as much of a deal, especially if you're not in immediate need.

For what's it's worth,

CWS

Comment

I have seen alleged reconditioned tools at my local HD. The only thing that indicated that they were reconditioned was a yellow tag with the price and reconditioned written on it. I searched over the entire tool to see of it was stamped on the tool by Ridgid, it was not. I have purchased the rigid Reciprocating saw from Cummings reconditioned and it was clearly stamped reconditioned into the plastic by the trigger. I have looked at other rigid tools at the Cummings sales and they always have reconditioned stamped on them somewhere and they have always been cleaned up to look as if they were new.
      I wouldn’t put any faith in any tool sold as reconditioned unless I knew it was factory reconditioned to “Like new” specifications. For me I have faith that if the tool is factory reconditioned by Ridgid the tool is going to be just as good as if I paid the brand new price at HD. I Buy tools I know I will need for a upcoming project from the Cummings sales if they are in the area prior to the project otherwise it’s a brand new tool from HD. My reconditioned Reciprocating saw with a good quality blade has sawn through 8” oak barn timbers, half rotten oak floor boards at an old cabin, and it was even used to cut a roof off of a car. (Used on a bet that my Ridgid was just as good as the Milwaulkee super sawzall at more than twice the price, my reconditioned saw did just as good as the higher priced brand new saw with no problems).

Yes you get what you pay for with some reconditioned tools but I think that if the manufacture is reliable you will get a good product for a good price.

Comment

Authorized Resellers

Interesting discussion. Currently, only Cummins (aka Tap Enterprises) and The Home Depot are authorized to sell reconditioned power tools. They come with a one year warranty and are sold at a discount from new. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has seen them elsewhere.

Comment

reconditioned

I know at one time we had a bunch of reconditioned tools from dewalt(we are an authorized dealer and repair center for dewalt and all other major brands).

Comment

Re: RIDGID Factory 'Reconditioned' / 'Refurbished'

kiwi, badger is incorrect. home depot does sell ridgid reconditioned tools and there are hundreds of others that do to. my company (buckeyeyardproducts.com) is also one of those places you can get factory recons and they are worth the savings. they are only available til gone but if you can get one snatch it up. it really is a good deal.

Comment

p.s. our new website is under construction but you can get prices and e-mail me at buckeyeyardproducts@yahoo.com and i can check the availability and get you a shipping quote. we also have ryobi reconditioned if you need something cheaper for just around the house use. check us out. www.buckeyeyardproducts.com

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyeyardproducts View Post
                p.s. our new website is under construction but you can get prices and e-mail me at and i can check the availability and get you a shipping quote. we also have ryobi reconditioned if you need something cheaper for just around the house use. check us out.

Why don't you drop about 50 more links in the first hour since you've joined this site.

I would hope you have an affiliation with RIDGID to condone this behavior.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Well I can't say anything about reconditioned ridgid items, but I can speak about my luck with "reconditioned" items.

On occasion I've spotted what looks to be a great deal on a product I want. The deals so great because the product is "Reconditioned" or "Refurbished", and sometimes dispite my better judgement I buy into the falacy that the items "good as new". Each and every time I've taken a risk and bought a reconditioned item works great for a short period of time and then usually ends up failing in a spectacular way.

Granted most of these items I've purchased have been electronic in nature, but buying a referb or reconditioned power tool would make me horribly nervous. I'd constantly be worried that the blade on the table saw would end up getting flung across the shop. Power tools are dangerous enough to use when they are working correctly, if an item's been "fixed" that means something was wrong with it to begin with & I wouldn't want to put my limbs, fingers or life on the line to save a few bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyeyardproducts View Post
                    p.s. our new website is under construction but you can get prices and e-mail me at buckeyeyardproducts@yahoo.com and i can check the availability and get you a shipping quote. we also have ryobi reconditioned if you need something cheaper for just around the house use. check us out. www.buckeyeyardproducts.com
                    Wow, 5 posts by you so far, and 4 of them have some sort of phone number or e-mail address or web address to your business(es). Sorry, but no spammers on here - thanks.

Comment

I can't say much regarding reconditioned RIDGID brand power tools. I have several that are Milwaukee which have special branding and they were ordered from a highly regarded tool dealer. All of the tools were direct drop shipped from Milwaukee. They had warranty papers with them. The tools have been great and without problem. If a dealer (other than a factory repair center) claims a power tool has been reconditioned, be careful to check out the dealer. Some may have only been cleaned up, but are a real mess inside.

The US Federal Trade Commission defines "Reconditioned" to mean that a factory trained tech has really gone over the item (can be about anything) and has made sure it meets the same specs as a new item of the same and other than for what it looks like would pass factory quality control inspections. Any damaged or out of spec parts must be replaced and any off machining corrected. The item must be run through careful inspections as well. It must then be branded (marked) as reconditioned.

As for enforcement, that's very lacking, sadly. "Made In The USA" is another where enforcement lacks.

With the above being said, check out the dealer carefully. Call the factory customer service and ask if they are an authorized dealer for new tools and then ask if they are authorized to sell reconditioned. Finally ask if they (dealer) is a warranty service center. If there are any no answers, then do not let said dealer rip you off.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 04-10-2008, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Hi Buckeye,

First, welcome to the forum. Second, it is true we don't go for extensive advertising here. I'll make up a ratio here (so nobody hold me to it later) but your conversation post to advertising post should be at least hovering around 200:1. Many people on this forum are business owners and we've agreed that this is not a place where we emphasize drumming more up. We look forward to your engaging in other topics of discussion here.

However, since you brought it up. Where do you buy the RIDGID reconditioned product for resale? I am curious.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                          However, since you brought it up. Where do you buy the RIDGID reconditioned product for resale? I am curious.
                          Hmmmmmmm. Coming from Ridgid to apparently an authorized reseller, that is an interesting question, ProBrand. The plot thickens.

Comment

I have seen quite a bit of the Rigid "RECON" stuff at my local HD. IIRC it was mostly corded power tools. Belt sanders, laminate trimmers, etc. I don't remember seeing any cordless stuff though. I haven't had the need for any of the things that they had for sale. The availability seems spotty. Personally, I think it seems like a bad thing, it shows too much "bad" equipment, even though it has been "fixed"...it still exists (as having needed repair of some kind).

However, I did purchase my router combo kit and bandsaw from the dealer's booth at the Woodworking Show here in town. This was before I ever saw any at my local HD.

Comment

There's a traveling tool sale that comes around my town a couple of times a year that features Rigid reconditioned tools. After purchasing these tools in the past, I've had trouble with the batteries not staying charged and I also had a jigsaw that would not secure the blade. I had to take it apart and fix it myself because I lost my receipt. On the other hand, I bought the Rigid table saw with stand and received free shipping from the Rigid web site and have had no trouble from it at all.

Comment

These kind of Threads + my experience are the exact reason I have only purchased 1 Ridgid product the older model of the MSUV. Personally I don't like the relationship between Home Depot & Ridgid. Ridgid needs to spread its sales around by making arraignments to sell through 3-4 more retailers.

We have had a HD here for about 3 years now I mostly buy toilets & laminate(we manage apts) there & a few storm doors. I did buy a few Ryobi tools only because I was preparing to buy a Ridgid battery powered tool set that was supposed to be on sale that Saturday morning I was told by the tool dept. person who even showed me the display setup papers that they use to arraign the display, Needles to say when I got there in the o'dark'30 of the morning on Saturday there were no tools & I was tools there wouldn't be either.

I think that the HD+Ridgid combination is a lousy one.

The one big thing that HD has done is to drive other smaller business out of business that carry the items we need in a small town 30 miles from the nearest bigger town & over 50 miles from the next biggest town & of course HD doesn't carry the items & has no plans to do so.

So ask me if I like HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The answer is only in a microscopic way .

Comment

Working...
                                X