Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• afraid to buy ridgid planer, jointer

I heard ridgid is getting out of the woodworking tools is this true

You've probably picked up on a story that was out a couple of years ago. The fact at that time was sort of true. Ridgid made the decision to stop manufacturing its woodworking shop tools. What it did do, was sign a licensing agreement with Tectronics International (TTI) in which TTI would manufacture and market the original Ridgid designs using the Ridgid trademark. Part of this agreement led to the new line of woodworking portable power tools which Ridgid did not have before. The old Ridgid brand tools were gray with orange trim and the new TTI manufactured tools are orange with grey trim. TTI/Ridgid continues to introduce new tool designs as well as discontinue tools that appear to be less popular. One should understand that the Ridge Tool company and the Ridgid brand plumbing tools, etc. are focused on their core business of plumbing and general purpose tools as well as shop vac equipment. These tools are NOT part of the TTI licensing agreement. Ridgid and Ridge Tool are owned by Emerson Electric.

TTI is a China-based manufacturing company know world-wide for its tools, printing presses, and aluminum die-castings. It is also the parent company of Ryobi and Homelite and One World Technologies (OWT). As compared to the Ryobi brand, the new Ridgid line of tools are made with better designs, material, etc. and are are targeted at the "professional", while the Ryobi brand is marketed toward the occasional user.

On April 18, 2005, TTI announced that all of its Ridgid brand power tools would have a "limited lifetime service agreement in addition to it's nromal 3-year warranty. It doesn't sound to me like they are planning on going out of the woodworking business.

A lot more than you wanted to know, but what the hey,

CWS

Comment

As to the two tools you mentioned---both are really good tools-----

Jointer---great reports---only flaw is the bed is below average height---could be fixed by a mobile base.

Planer---again, nice tool---it is, however, old technology----for around the same price, you can get multi-speed planers or models with 3 knives---which can give you a very fine finsih. Again---nothing wrong with it----a great value if it's on sale, but otherwise, look at Delta or DeWalt.

As to service, you're guess is as good as ours. Some posts talk about great response/service----others talk about constant parts availibility problems.
      Dave

Comment

I have both the planer & jointer. Like the other post says, the jointer is great. Low deck (i'm 5'10") is spliting hairs. very nice fence system. The planer is ok. For $100 more you can get 3 knive & 2 speeds. I only have minimal snipe once i adjusted the cutter head lock (tightened it). For the price you won't find a better one, but like I said pay a little more get alot more.

[ 04-27-2005, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Razorback ]

Comment

The only time I get snipe on the planer is if I dont support the piece correctly at the outfeed.
          IMO I don't think the low height of the jointer is splitting hairs, if you have to put your body in an awkward position when using a power tool it becomes a safety issue. I have mine on a mobile base and it is still a little low for my liking.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

...don't think the low height of the jointer is splitting hairs, if you have to put your body in an awkward position when using a power tool it becomes a safety issue. I have mine on a mobile base and it is still a little low for my liking.
            But............ on the other hand, maybe the height of the Ridgid Jointer would be perfect for say someone like Rose who happens to be on the shorter side. In that case, the Ridgid would be the safe machine and others that are taller would be the unsafe ones. At any rate, it makes a very good arguement for test driving any tool you want before you buy it. Hard to do over the net I agree but easy if you buy local or know someone who has the tool you want.

[ 04-28-2005, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: badgerdave ]
            I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

The problem is most jointers are too low. Most are made in China. The height probably suits them fine.
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
              X