X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worm drive circular saws

i am looking to buy a new circular saw and i am trying to decide between the Skil HD77M or the Rigid R3210. They are both magnesium and weigh 14 lbs but the rigid has a 15 amp motor and the skil has a 13 amp motor. the skil is about $10 more also. there is alot of reviews praising the skil, i was wondering if anyone has experience with these saws. thanks.

[ 11-16-2005, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: Domin0es ]

dominoes,

before you buy check out milwaukee's tilt lok circ saw. It will last with any worm drive on the market, has all the power and it WAY better balanced. A far better saw for the money.

Comment

I'm also looking to maybe buy a circular saw and I'm having trouble finding info about a good one to buy. Where did you see reviews praising the Skil? I haven't seen any positive reviews about Skil saws.

As far as I can see from what I've been able to find, the Porter Cable 743K and the Milwaukee that was mentioned in this thread are two very good ones. I'm also looking at the Makita 15 amp saw, which features an LED light illuminating the cut path line (while I'm at it, can anyone tell me if those LED illuminators really work?)

Cheers,
      Dave

Comment

i believe there was some reviews on epinions.com and also i think amazon.com

Comment

Hmmm. Which particular Skil saw? I saw a review or two on the sites you mentioned, but there weren't enough to go on, and some were quite outdated.

Dave

Comment

the Skil HD77 and HD77M were the only reviews i was looking at

Comment

i have both the skil and the ridgid.frist the ridgid is 15 lbs not 14 the pros to the ridgid is mag houseing thick alumium base good line of sight(for right handed poeple)very heavy duty power cord that is lighted and is the most quiet woorm drive i think i have ever used and if you do a lot of freaming there is a "sky hook" to hang the saw.the cons are no tool box or bag for the saw it does get to be very heavy for long useage. as far as the skil mag 77 goes skil invented the worm drive many many years ago and up till about 8-10 years ago the was no real compation for this saw pros good balance 14 lbs blade is avilabe on either the left or the right side cons:skil may have invented this saw but to me has done very little to improve apon what they had started wit,stamped steel base,hard plastic handles and grips,13 amp motor does stugled at times but i have not stalled it(cutting 5 sheets of 1/2 inch OSB)and over all it is a good saw but the design is is really showing its age but you cant go wrong with either one you do get both are ment to last a life time if cared for and the price is just a few dollars in differce but the ridgid does have a life time service agreement
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

The Ridgid R3210 is on the clearance rack for $99 in the local HD, I have never used a Worm Drive Saw but it would get my vote on price alone.

Woodslayer

Comment

This web site has a review of the major worm drives.
                  The Ridgid did well, for 100 bucks can't go wrong if my local Borg had one for that price I pick one up even though I don't need another saw.
                  http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/artic...ticle&partID=1
                  \"If I\'d known it was harmless I\'d have killed it myself.\"

Comment

guys i am sorry i said that the skil mag 77 was avilable with the blade on the right or left side of the saw and at the time i got the on i have this was true but the skill mag 77 now is only a right side blade left siders were not selling well so the line up of those have been droped
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

to kevin b your sign off is "if i'd known it was harmless i'd kill myself" for some reason that bothers me and i really hope that is just a odd joke on your part but if it is real please by all means please seek some help
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

i think you're taking it too seriously (or maybe i'm reading it too lightly). I see his sig refering to a guy who freaks out when he sees a spider. along comes his wife and smashes it with a rolled up newspaper. husband says to wife, "Well if i would have known it was harmless, i would have kiled it myself".

Or you could read it as, some nutcase shoots a family pet and his nutcase buddy says, "well if i would have known it was harmless, i would have killed it myself".

I read it as scanario #1. either way, i wouldn't sweat internet drivel.

Regards,
                        caspian

Comment

Working...
                        X