Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the all the lives lost and being lost for our freedom here in the USA, it does become an emotional issue beyond power tools,that is a minor issue.
    Thank God for those brave men and women who serve and sometimes die for our freedoms.
    I do not want my $ going to a communist China to be used to build their economy/military,(the trade imbalance is vastly due to China imports). Fox News said if the US trade figures removed ,China ,from the equation we would be on the plus side even! If I can at all avoid China made products I do but ,it but it seems impossible as a consumer to do much. The sears 22124 I bought at least has a Beis fence made in AZ.
    As a conservative ,I think this is a failure in economic stategy. The $'s are not going to the workers to improve their situation in the hope of bringing about political reform as of yet.
    I talked to an Emmerson Tech , and he said even before was Ridgid "sold out" many castings and parts came from abroad but were assembled here. We just do not really know some times all the facts.
    God bless our troops esp. at this July 4 th. weekend as we celebrate due to their sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow:
      For a manufacturer to be able to stamp "Made in America" on their product requires a very high %content of American parts be used. Harley-Davidsons have not said "Made in America" for a long time yet everyone conciders them to still be "Made in America".

Mark
      As far as vehicles go, here's a description from the FTC web site ;

"American Automobile Labeling Act — Requires that each automobile manufactured on or after October 1, 1994, for sale in the U.S. bear a label disclosing where the car was assembled, the percentage of equipment that originated in the U.S. and Canada, and the country of origin of the engine and transmission. Any representation that a car marketer makes that is required by the AALA is exempt from the Commission’s policy. When a company makes claims in advertising or promotional materials that go beyond the AALA requirements, it will be held to the Commission’s standard. For more information, call the
      Consumer Programs Division of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (202-366-0846).

Buy American Act — Requires that a product be manufactured in the U.S. of more than 50 percent U.S. parts to be considered Made in USA for government procurement purposes. For more information, review the Buy American Act at 41 U.S.C. §§ 10a-10c, the Federal Acquisition Regulations at 48 C.F.R. Part 25, and the Trade Agreements Act at 19 U.S.C. §§ 2501-2582. "

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for posting very relevent information regarding made in USA. Even if a tool that is assembled here has some foriegn content, the bottom line is that it WAS assembled here. And most if not all items assembbled in these United States have far more USA content than anything made overseas. Perhaps a tag outlining the % of USA content on everything would keep the manufacturers honest. Such a tag would probably increase the price of a tool by a half buck but it would be worth it to me.

We have a very nice place to live here. Lets not sell our souls to communist China just so we can save 25 bucks on a power tool or 15 bucks on a pair of work bibbs.

Happy 4th and may God bless our young men and women fighting so that we may have another birthday for freedom.
        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

The majority of the Milwaukee line is still made in the US. Not all, but most.Largely in Mississippi for what it is worth. I have done the research for bid purposes.
          Compared to the competition, Milwaukee is the Harley Davidson of Power Tools. A bastion of hope for American Manufacturing.

Comment

I have a few of just about every brand of tool out there, however I do tend to lean toward Milwaukee, mainly because of their quality and service. I am tool geek I read most of the manuals, and found out that the sawzall and circular saw from my V28 combo kit are made in USA, the drill from germany and the batteries are made in Canada. I have heard that they make 65%+ of their tool in the US and about 20% in Germany from their sister company AEG,(which I understand now goes by the name A&M)the other 15% is out souced thoughout the world and Asia.
            Unless you are the lead Dog, the scenery does not change...

Comment

I own the v28 line, and they are head and shoulders above the best 18v tools. You only have to pick one up and start it to feel the difference in power.

I had 18v Bosch before. They were very good, but when I needed to saw through steel pipe, I still brought out my corded reciprocating saw. And when I needed to do anything but a rough-cut, I brought out my corded circular saw. With the v28 tools, I rarely reach for the corded versions (there's no need).

They are the same weight or lighter than my Bosch 18v tools. And the v28 batteries have a "fuel gauge" that tells you how much power is left. They charge within an hour, and they have internal circuitry that records the date you first charge them for their two year warranty.

The Ridgid lifetime warranty on batteries is astounding. I considered their 18v set for just that reason. But 18v reciprocating and circular saws are of limited value, so the v28 set won out.

Still, today I'm going to buy an 18v Ridgid jigsaw both because there is currently no v28 jigsaw and 18v is powerful enough for a cordless jigsaw (IMO). The lifetime service agreement and free batteries for life make this an easy decision.

Milwaukee reciprocating saws are excellent. But Hilti makes the best reciprocating saws. My 1400-PE can cut a car in half. Their anti-vibration and smart power features deliver a smooth, accurate cut. Plus they have a pipe clamp adapter for accurate cuts in pipes up to 6 inches in diameter.
              So many saws, so few fingers...

Comment

Lee

You may want to hurry if you want one of the Ridgid 18V jigsaws; they have been on the clearance rack for $99 for about a month at the HD’s I visit.

Woodslayer

Comment

Lee,

You may want to hold off on the ridgid jigsaw,
                  I believe milwaukee will have a V28 jigsaw within
                  6 months. If not consider the new dewalt 18v jigsaw, it is actually a very good tool.

Comment

Shedding some light

"Milwaukee reciprocating saws are excellent. But Hilti makes the best reciprocating saws. My 1400-PE can cut a car in half. Their anti-vibration and smart power features deliver a smooth, accurate cut. Plus they have a pipe clamp adapter for accurate cuts in pipes up to 6 inches in diameter."

I maybe starting a bad rummor, but I heard at least in Europe Milwaukee makes the Sawzall for Hilti which would explain their performance. Another note: I have a pipe clamp adaptor for my Milwaukee Sawzall, however i do not know if they are still offering it in the catalog.

and the V28 Sawzall kicks butt!!

Comment

Dawg,

Your right about the milwaukee sawzalls and they do still sell the pipe clamp. I do not know what a hilti can do that the milwaukee cant though.
                      The milwaukee sawzalls will also cut a car in half so to pay 40% more for the hilti, I dont see the value.

Comment

I know that Makita just came with a Sawzall comes close to Old Red, but it is only about time that Makita figured out just how to design a seemingly quality tool, for now I will stay with Milwaukee and Hilti can stay in Germany for all I care.-never been a big fan, I know many people like them but you are paying a premium. For the record Porter Cable used to have a decent sawzall, but in the last few years they seam to have got worse. When it comes to Sawzalls, Milwaukee still has my business.
                        That all, thanks for letting me vent.

Comment

just saw the v28 4 pack combo kit at costco for $699.00. don't know how costco does it?

comes with the sawzall, circ saw, drill, light, charger , 2 batteries, and soft bag.

rick.

Comment

Milwaukee is coming out with a 28 volt right angle drill. Supposedly has 1081 in-lbs of torque which is double their 18 volt right angle drill.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK:
                              just saw the v28 4 pack combo kit at costco for $699.00. don't know how costco does it?

comes with the sawzall, circ saw, drill, light, charger , 2 batteries, and soft bag.

rick.
                              I'll tell everyone how they do it someday. It's a little complicated and really not even that interesting. I would guess the kits at Costco are labeled in English and French?
                              I don't work for Ridgid and I don't work for Home Depot but I likely know more about both than someone who works at either.

Comment

36 volt, sounds like the sets are coming in from a foreign country? maybe canada? what kind of profit is left if they have to buy it from a reseller. i don't think milwaukee sells directly to costco.

shed some inside knowledge.

rick.

Comment

Working...
                                X