Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Makita LXT Lithium Powered Tools...thoughts?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in HD today, scouting for an impact driver (to replace the POS Mastercraft (a Canadian company) one that I bought two years ago, that has since died)and spotted the slick looking Makita 18v. "My, how it looks like the Hitachi!", I thought. I picked it up and said, "Wow, it's light!" Then I looked at it. It's all friggin' plastic! The front(bit) end that takes the most punishment,is gonna die a horrible death. I do not abuse my tools, but I know what happens to plastic when a metal screw head cams out. Too bad Makita. For the most part I've really liked your products. I own two circa 1990 9.6v drill drivers that are still in service. Unless I'm mistaken, I can't see this series lasting that long.
    It was also extremely expensive.
    Since I already own a 14.4v Rigid drill/driver, I opted for the Rigid 14.4v impact driver and drill/driver combo kit with the (hopefully) lifetime warranty. I'll give the extra drill/battery/charger away to my little brother for X-mas and be a hero.

Comment

9Irons post with the Milwaukee line which is in home depot canada stores now is an impressive line.
      The tools are $999.00 plus the taxes here with 15% taxes of course.
      Box warranty has 5 years and i believe its 2 years on batteries.
      Makita and Milwaukee seem to be in the forefront of cordless tech. leaders.

Comment

Can't do much with 14.4 volts on a heavy duty work site.

It will be interesting to see what kind of quality yellow has next year when their new line comes out.
        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Mr. Frugul-

the plastci cap that you mention about the Makita 18v lithium impact driver.....that is a "CAP"...it can be removed and changed if wanted to....it helps protect the front housing.....so the impact is not plastic.....take a look again.....I love mine and never have anything else.....people that have it...can test to that!!!!!

Comment

Is the Makita LXT circ saw just a light duty trim saw or does it have the power to reliably cut 2x lumber and floor sheathing etc.?

Comment

I'm surprised at the way Makita put the LXT kit together. They include the drill, circ saw and impact driver. Impact drivers are cool, but I'd rather have the recip saw before it.

Comment

The recip saw hasn't been released yet. There is a mail-in-rebate if you buy this set to get it free.

Comment

Originally posted by mr. frugal
                  I was in HD today, scouting for an impact driver (to replace the POS Mastercraft (a Canadian company) one that I bought two years ago, that has since died)and spotted the slick looking Makita 18v. "My, how it looks like the Hitachi!", I thought. I picked it up and said, "Wow, it's light!" Then I looked at it. It's all friggin' plastic! The front(bit) end that takes the most punishment,is gonna die a horrible death. I do not abuse my tools, but I know what happens to plastic when a metal screw head cams out. Too bad Makita. For the most part I've really liked your products. I own two circa 1990 9.6v drill drivers that are still in service. Unless I'm mistaken, I can't see this series lasting that long.
                  It was also extremely expensive.
                  Since I already own a 14.4v Rigid drill/driver, I opted for the Rigid 14.4v impact driver and drill/driver combo kit with the (hopefully) lifetime warranty. I'll give the extra drill/battery/charger away to my little brother for X-mas and be a hero.
                  I think you meant you bought the Ridgid because it was $140 vs. $330. Not because it is built better. Yikes, the president of TTI won't tell you with a straight face that his 14.4V Ridgid is anywhere near the same league as a Li-Ion Makita. Mr. Frugal indeed.
                  I don't work for Ridgid and I don't work for Home Depot but I likely know more about both than someone who works at either.

Comment

Has anybody that has purchased the new Makite LXT400 combo. set received their "free" reciprocating saw yet? I was wondering how long it would take to receive as it is of the most use to me. I'm in Canada and was also wondering if Can. consumers have to get it shipped from the US. or if they ship them from Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by senator91
                      Has anybody that has purchased the new Makite LXT400 combo. set received their "free" reciprocating saw yet? I was wondering how long it would take to receive as it is of the most use to me. I'm in Canada and was also wondering if Can. consumers have to get it shipped from the US. or if they ship them from Canada.
                      I got my reciprocating saw via the Canadian postal service a few weeks ago. It's a really nice piece of equipment and they were even kind enough to include two of their Demolisher series Bi-Metal blades (one for nail embedded wood, and one rated for cutting steel up to 1/8 thick).

I did, however, buy my LXT400 kit in November and mailed away for the saw ASAP. Now whether or not they send the saw out on a first come, first serve basis, I have no idea. I was led to believe that the production run wasn't scheduled to start until early this year, and that's why there was the waiting period.
                      Last edited by Ventoso; 02-17-2006, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Re: Makita LXT Lithium Powered Tools...thoughts?

I have not idea why your posting that question on here? But where I'm from it's commission only.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanxrus View Post
                          I have not idea why your posting that question on here? But where I'm from it's commission only.
                          Not only is it a 3+ year old thread, but nowhere near a power tool topic. I guess word has gotten out that you really do get answers on the Ridgid Forum and you can ask just about anything. Short answer - straight commission here too.

Comment

No pivot. What you're thinking is a pivot is actually the brush cover. It's a pretty decent tool, though...I've got one and use if pretty often, no complaints.

Comment

jeez people, his is a link spammer. he doesn't care what forum is about

Comment

I got the LXT211 and love it. Very light and comfortable. Better than the Ridgid. Also just received my free LXT 6 1/2" circular saw as part of the Makita promotion.

Comment

Working...
                                X