X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Router/Metabo Tools??

Hey has anyone heard anything about RIDGID producing a Router, or even a fixed/plunge based router kit?? TTI just built a Ryobi kit that isn't bad, but what about some competition for porter cable and bosch?> Also, how does everyone feel about Metabo sneaking in their tools into the RIDGID foray after the metabo president at one point had said " Metabo tools will never make their way into a Home Depot" ? Just some thoughts to ponder
    \"Im not a tool, my tool is a tool\"

Ryobi makes some stuff that isn't bad, but all the stuff they make isn't that good. At best their stuff is in between. A ryobi router with better componentry would be competitive.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Also metabo's attitude doesn't get them sales. I have never bought metabo because I have never seen it for sale. If they were to put it in HD their sales would increase. Say what you want about HD, their prices are very good.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Yeah, just look what HD did for Emerson! They sold so many tools at HD it drove them right out of the woodworking tool manufacturing business. I applaud companies that refuse to prostitute themselves and their reputations just to sell a little product. Some of the new RIDGID tools may look like a Metabo on the outside but I'd be real interested to hear how they differ on the inside. BrandMan has already stated that there are differences between the two lines.

If HD is such a wonderfully profitable place to sell their product, why is almost every manufacturer they sell short lined with the possible exception of Ryobi and RIDGID?
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Badger,
          The problem with ridgid is that HD was the only place that sold ridgid. As for metabo, I live in the second largest city in the US and have never seen a metabo in any store here. Aside from HD every ( and I mean every) other retailer of tools here charges list price or higher. Only 1 I've been to has decent customer service and their prices are the highest, the rest's customer service are worse than HD(hard to believe), and their return policies are "don't expect a refund". Until HD got to L.A., sears was it. HD might suck, but they are the best we have here.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Let's be fair, Rafael. How hard have you tried/how many tool dealers do you visit?

Not a Metabo dealer, but have you ever been to Eagle Tools in Alta Dena?

FWIW, there are two Metabo dealers in Los Angeles proper. Out toward where I'm from, there are two in Ontario, two in Cucamonga, one in Etiwanda, one in Montclair.......

Twenty-four Metabo dealers in my general area now.

Dave

Comment

To be fair, I've never been to alta dena, etiwanda, or cucamonga, but I pass thru alot.Had a flat fixed in montclair last year after getting a blowout on the 10. Since the 1970's I have been to at least 20 tool dealers in an area bounded by downtown LA, the valley, the south bay and the ocean, and for the most part they are overpriced, unhelpful, and have unpleasant to deal with.
              Is eagle tools in alta dena worth visiting?
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I've never seen a Metabo product on display nor heard of them until this year about the same as Festool. I've seen some of the Festool products and fell in love with the drill. If I saw some Metabo tools it might be the same if they have the heft, feel, and fit our Ridgid's have. Rick

Comment

I am looking to purchase a router. I could not find one on this website. Does Ridgid make such a product?

thanks Neal

Comment

We do not presently offer any versions of a router.

Comment

Never seen matabo? they have had the best 4.5and6inch grinder in production for years even the fein reps said they cant compete with metabos grinder line. why do you think ridgid copied the motor housing styles of metabo. most of metabos line of tools are very good. that is why you pay more for them. plus there german tools, i think the german tools are the best out there sad to say that but there costly. ridgid uses the fein 648 motor on there propress system.ridgid has always used other tool makers in there electric tool line in the past. there sawzall was a portercable as was thereportable bandsaw. the k39 drain cleaner had a skill motor in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by jon:
                        Never seen matabo? they have had the best 4.5and6inch grinder in production for years even the fein reps said they cant compete with metabos grinder line. why do you think ridgid copied the motor housing styles of metabo. most of metabos line of tools are very good. that is why you pay more for them. plus there german tools, i think the german tools are the best out there sad to say that but there costly. ridgid uses the fein 648 motor on there propress system.ridgid has always used other tool makers in there electric tool line in the past. there sawzall was a portercable as was thereportable bandsaw. the k39 drain cleaner had a skill motor in the past.
                        Skil used to be owned by Emerson, which now still owns the Ridgid trademark. Skil was bought out by Bosch in the early nineties. Almost all stationary Sears Craftsman tools were made by Emerson, until recently. I also recall see many Sears Craftsman corded tools like circualar saws being assembled here in the Pickens, South Carolina, Ryobi plant, before it was closed and production moved overseas to China. Roybi tools are a value leader at Home Depot. They make almost all of the Sears Craftsman cordless tools.

For those who like European tools, Bosch tools are still made in Switzerland.

Comment

Pickens is still open, they now make the routers, door closers, and Homelite products. When they bought Homelite from John Deer, they moved them back up from Mexico.

Comment

Back on topic: Ridgid router will be out soon. Combo pack. $199.
                            I don't work for Ridgid and I don't work for Home Depot but I likely know more about both than someone who works at either.

Comment

So you work for Ridgid and Home Depot? How else could you know the retail of a product that hasn't even hit the market yet.

[ 12-08-2005, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Cuj0HD ]
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X