No announcement yet.

What's Ridgid's new plan??

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Woody pretty much says it all----"if it ain't broke---don't fix it." But, sadly, a lot has changed, particularly with CS---heck, I find it annoying that I can no longer look up the price of parts on the web----

As to Emerson's motivation to dump Ridgid ww'ing tools----we can guess all day long. However, let me briefly thumbnail what was going on before this occurred---as Woody and other old timers will remember.

On this board, prior to the takeover, the biggest complaint was from people who wanted to buy or at least see new Ridgid ww'ing tools at HD----either the tools weren't on display or when the customer wanted to buy a tool, they couldn't find the back stock. For example, when the new 3612 table saw came out----no one could find it. Heck, in my travels, I hit about 8 HDs and only one had the saw set up----the two closest to me---discontinued the saw without ever having it on display. [img]tongue.gif[/img] We also had reports of tools either put together wrong or sloppy merchandising, etc.

Now, for anyone with retail experience, HD's lack of stocking/displaying the product certainly must have hurt sales. But, Ridgid also lacked the commitment to having merchandisers/factory reps visit the HDs to make sure the tools were displayed/stocked. Heck, I even wrote Ridgid about doing part-time merchandising, since I was already on the road for my other business and hours were flexible enough to stop in at a few HDs---

While HD was clearly a problem (and still are in other respects) Ridgid either didn't have the manpower or was unwilling to commit to either more reps or to putting more pressure on HD. Don't know how much affect this actually had, but it was clearly an existing problem.

Dave, I do remember the old discussions. They became pretty heated about why there never seems to be any Ridgid reps at any HDs and why the displays always looked like crap. We felt that the tools would sell themselves if marketed correctly. (ahhh, the good old days)

As to why Ridgid licensed the line out... Well, one could say that they weren't making any money. others could say that they were making money, but they could make more if outsourced. (what i believe happened here) My guess is that the sourced to a company with more experience in the tool line who could fufill HDs needs with a quality poduct.

Also, Ryobi does not own Ridgid or license the name. Ryobi is a line of tools made by OWT, just like Ridgid and a few others.

I will disagree with Dave about the warranty being bull on a tool purchase. Some tools used in a shop get minimal use. If during the course of one or even two years, the product gets used 2 hours total, then I doubt a failure would show up. If I knew that the tools may get little use, I'm going for the longer warranty for the peace of mind. And if warrantys mean little, then why is Jet now advertising lifetime warranties on their line?

Cordless tools are a whole 'nother animal than stationary tools. By offering the lifetime warranty, I think they quickly gained some market share. Contractors and other heavy will benefit because of lower repair and battery replacement costs and Ridgid gets the advertisement. Even if Ridgid ultimatly makes no money on the tool, the advertising was worth the lack of income. When you look at other tool lines who have reputations, they put out duds, but the name keeps faith in the product. I believe the same will happen here. ( I really like my 12v beauty)

I see CS becoming better and as was posted when all the changes started to occur, it seemed as though Ridgid had the final say in the matter. I don't believe that they would sit by and let CS take a dump for very long. As with change in any company, there needs to be an adjustment period. Let's hope all adjusting for the worse has been completed.

I've linked an article (from Fast Company) below. Although it concerns Wal-Mart, the methodologies and attitudes can be applied to Home Depot. I think it'll shed some light on what's happening to many manufacturers.

This is a downloadble Word .doc, from which I've received no viruses or malware.

Mike----I understand what you're saying, but you've got to admit the whole thing will be moot in 13 days.

The thing is, at least for me, the lifetime warranty was way down the list of reasons to buy or not buy. If the tool/product were cheaply made and I'd have to keep taking it in for service-----thats a loss of my time.

For example----when I bought my new truck, got a tonneau (however you spell it ) cover it, color matched to the truck----looked real cool, until the paint started blistering and chipping----Had a mfg's lifetime warranty on the paint job as to defects----after a month of fights with the dealer and having to send it back to the mfg., they repainted it-----5 months later---it's doing the same thing again----as I say, a lifetime warranty is no substitute for buying a good product in the first place---of course, this was a double whammey, since it WAS a good manufacturer---or so I thought.

Don't mind me I'm bored between studying and woodnet is down so I get to clutter up this board a bit more..

Funny you mention thta David Ferg. I'm taking Advanced accounting right now and we learned about your last post first class. Went over an in class case study about how after WWII, there was no competition and the US companies did just that. They focused on mass producing and just calculated warranty costs into their equation. There was nobody to compete so any extra cost was just passed onto the consumer.

When japan and Germany started competing < we talked about cars in class > they made about the same profit but spent their money upfront on engineering and not warranty cost. Therefore a more troublefree product. If you bought a ford back then the door handle would fall off, Ford would fix it and then a couple months somethign else would go wrong, they'd fix it again. Class consensus was that the consumer would be happier overall with a more solidly designed & built product. I hope we don't divert back to that for an in interim when all the tool companies move their production overseas as a hiccup to industrializing the world. Time will tell I'm sure.

Just a thought