No announcement yet.

RIDGID MAX HC Battery Packs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When in the DeWalt service center the other day I mentioned that my 12v packs were 7 years old. he said they should be due for replacement since you'll normally only get 3 to 5 years max out of a pack, less if used often enough. as posted above, heat is what kills batteries. It's that way in all batteries, even car batteries. Those who live in cold climates will see more broken down cars the first week of a bad cold streak then they will at the end of winter. I do not let my drill sit out in the heat, and in the winter, i bring all my packs inside and keep them in the basement till I need to use them.

As I posted in another forum, my wife works in the tool corral at HD. She says that they are allowed to drop Milwaukee and DeWalt tools, but under no circumstance are they to drop Ryobi, PC, Skil, or B&D. To me, the fact that some have said the Ridgid reps drop them and show how good they still work is proof that I need to take the Ridgid into considertion when purchasing another drill.

Also, the tool lady told me yesterday that the Ridgid will be the same price, if not cheaper than the DeWalt versions. Personally, I think whatever company sells a halfway decent product and has cheap replacement batteries will win the war. I mean $60+ for a new battery?? at least owes just came out with an 18V two pack for $99.

Comment

I never said they only last 500 cycles, I basically said that in that range, you start going down in your amp rating. Its the same for all nicads, sure they all will last way beyond that. There are only three Nicad battery manufactors in the world. Ridgid packs use the same batterys as Dewalt does. However, Ridgid packs are cooled, Dewalts are not, which do you think will last longer?

For any company to state that their packs will last up to 1200 charges at the same amp rating as when they were new is simply BS, especially in the higher voltage packs that generate a lot of heat when being charged, as well as packs that have a 3.o amp rating that have a large resistance, creating even more heat when charged.

Originally posted by lehigh99:
      500 cycles? I heard DeWalt's get up to 1200! That means with normal usage, a Ridgid battery would only last maybe 1 to 2 years. Unless your batteries are 1/2 price, I would end up spending more on batteries over the life of the tool. So why sacrifice cycle life for a little faster charge?

Comment

mr man, I've still got to ask, where are you getting all of this information? Inquiring minds want to know and you've ignored this question in the past.
        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillAMJ:
          mr man, I've still got to ask, where are you getting all of this information? Inquiring minds want to know and you've ignored this question in the past.
          I asked you the same basic question a few weeks back and you also choose to ignore my question at that time. The only conclusion I can rationalize is that you don't have any bona fide inside information and you are just making up everything you say. How hard can it be to answer such a simple question?
          ================================================== ====
          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

among the battery talk(fess up mr. man) i will tell anyone of these guys where i get all my info! so mr. man we all want to know, where are you getting all the info. milw. just came out with a multybay charger! the charger will be repairable too.(not a milw. buff, just a power tool buff).

Comment

hey woody most all of the manu. have a quick load chuck. bosch part #t2640,dw has rapid load sets ,#s dw2506,dw2518,dw2513,dw2523 these sets all have diferent types of drill bits,ect. milw.#S 48-03-005,3/8. 48-03-006 1/2.and so on.

Comment

well i was not paying attention!my last post was for captain bunzo, not woody SORRY about the goof up. and i am not even on the right page . its been a long day . i will pay more attention.

Comment

Sorry guys! been putting in a lot of hours recently which why I have been slow to post.

I am no expert, but I only posted what I know to be true and from what I have heard from the horses mouth so to speak.

I work for TTi.

Comment

Gotta chime in. I met the ryobi/ridgid rep at the local HD,(avon ,Ohio) and saw him throw the drill up in the air and it hit the concrete. then i picked it up and tested and looked at it. I'm sure he did it more than once that day. He said that if purchased before 1-1-2004, the whole kit was lifetime warranty. He said if the batteries didn't hold a charge after 5 yrs. bring it back and they replace free. Thats what he said!!!!!! but you better keep your receipt.!!!!!!!

Comment

I have a question about the design of the battery...I notice the holes in the bottom of the drill and know that is for air to go through the battery...but I work on a job site... I have not been on one yet that did not have dirt on it...when i drop this ridgid tool and durt gets in the battery...will it still work??

Comment

Bo, I thought exactly the same thing. The first day I saw the drill at HD I didn't realize it was a new product. I decided to look at it quickly (I was there to look at the Dewalt's) . I noticed the vent holes right off. I stand my drill on end, many times in dirty locations or where loose debris like sawdust or insulation is around. I didn't know what the holes were for at the time and immediately decided, no I don't want that, it will just get plugged up. Well, If they make good on the warranty I'm game to try it.

Comment

The drop test is nothing new to the industry. many of the others have done this same thing before!Its going to be a good drill because there using all the technology thats been around. i looked at the partslist it looks a lot like the inside of a milw.put it this way fixed a snapon cordless drill it had a milw. trans and clutch and a bd switch and a milw. motor(whitch i think a nother company makes all the motors)

Comment

I know that Rigid/Ryobi have relatively low amp hours compared to other manufacturers. Doesn't this mean less battery cells per battery?
                            What do amp hours have to do with the lifetime/runtime of a battery?

Comment

Penny, In response to your questions, the number of cells in a battery has nothing to do with the amp hour. The amount of cells in a battery depends on the total voltage that is desired. As far as amp hour rating, it is analogus to the size of your gas tank. Higher amp hour=longer run time. The amp hour on one of the new ridgid batteries is 2. THis is not all that bad considering the highest amp hour that you are going to see on any other nickel cadium battery is approximately 2.4. SO yes the ridgid batteries could have a longer run time if you bumped up the amp hour. NOw when you compare different brands of batteries that realtionship can tend to become a bit skewed because of the way different drills are made. I hope this helps.
                              You can\'t make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt, and who wants to make butt prints in the sands of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandMan:
                                No one has from the company has stated 500 cycles. Nor has anyone seen any of the testing certification documentation on our packs Lehigh99.

Our packs are designed and engieered to run longer (in both run time and service life) than the best in the industry. They are also designed to charge faster making you more productive. We didn't copy or use what was available - we innovated.

Comment

Working...
                                X