X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrandMan:
    No one has from the company has stated 500 cycles. Nor has anyone seen any of the testing certification documentation on our packs Lehigh99.

Our packs are designed and engieered to run longer (in both run time and service life) than the best in the industry. They are also designed to charge faster making you more productive. We didn't copy or use what was available - we innovated.
    Actually MrMan stated 500 cycles.. and as we've been told, he's a TTI employee. Also - what did you guys do to create a longer lifespan of the batteries? Not run time but total life span. Batteries are spendy and I don't want to have to replace mine too often. I don't assume that you guys are making your own battery cells.

Also speaking of runtime, I read on this board somewhere that rigid has a 2.0 amp hour battery. But the competition has a 2.4 amp hour battery. I understand the heat effect, but couple that with amp hours and what do you get? Just curious to know. Thanks.

Comment

Batteries are not spendy. Not if you buy a Ridgid tool before December 31! Free batteries for the life of the tool or however long you live! [img]smile.gif[/img]

David

Comment

If Catbuff is right, then the point is irrelevant, but otherwise:

Anyone who tells you that a given battery pack will last X cycles sells snake oil for his day job.

First, you have to define your terms: what does "last" mean? It is usually defined for these purposes to mean something like will still accept a charge that rates out at 50% or more of its nominal capacity before hitting 1.0V cell voltage when exposed to a 20-hour rate load after having been charged by a "smart" C1 charger.

Second, however defined, the number of cycles that a NiCad battery can take before failing the test depends entirely on the load it is subjected to, the conditions under which it works, the quality and design of the charging system it is maintained on, the discipline of the person or organization charged with battery maintenance, and a zillion other factors. In fact, portable power tool battery packs are at the low end of the lifetime number of cycles scale because they are subjected to very high amp loads and generally charged with low end chargers.

In the public safety arena we take good care of batteries, which are subjected to much lower loads and generally maintained by a trained person with some very expensive equipment. We consider it extraordinary if we can get one year out of an assigned battery (i.e., 365 cycles). And that is on the PD side, where the portables stay on for most of the 8-hour tour. On the FD side, where the guys are in the habit of parking their portables in the charger after every run, the life cycle is far lower.

Comment

Some facts about batteries:

Number of cycles:

1. Nickel Cadmium chemistry - about 1500 cycles
          2. Nickel MetalHydrate - about 500 cycles
          3. Lithium-Ion - about 500 cycles

Doesn't matter who makes the battery pack - Ridgit, DeWalt, Makita or enybody else. This companies all use cells manufactured by third companies. And number of cycles depend on chemistry. All the manufacturers of the battery packs do, is put cells into plastic package. All the above manufacturers of power tools follow strict specifications (charging circuits and methods) set by cell manufacturers.
          There is a VERY BIG chance that if you open battery pack made of Ridgit, DeWalt, Makita or whoever else you will find the same cells inside.

Information provided based on my own knowledge gathered from different sources and experience replacing cells in batery packs for laptops and other portables.

Here is a great source of information in plain language: http://www.buchmann.ca

Comment

Working...
          X