X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID MAX HC Battery Packs

How many charge cycles do you get out of the Max HC Batteries? One more question, does the rapid charge reduce the life of the battery?
    LATER WOODCHUCKS!

The 18v packs will do at least 500+, and tested much higher. Because of the cooling the charger provides, it really helps to extend the life of the pack.

Comment

mr man, I've just got to ask, where are you getting all of this information? I've been all over Ridgid.com and can't find the information that you've been supplying on the color and battery life, etc..
      Bill

Comment

Bill,
        I think you ratted him out!
        So, mr man, you been bleeding Ryobi Blue? If so, welcome to a step up in the world! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
        If it don\'t fit, force it. If it breaks, \'needed fixin\' anyhow. 8{~

Comment

dont you mean ryoby orange. and the 500 cycles still dont compete with the top brands. the heat factor is very important but not in charging. once a battery looses that optiman power it should be recharged,not when it is dead, milw.battery life is in the 1000+charge cycles range

Comment

Question of the day... JUST WHO IS MR.MAN?

Lets set the record straight... Batteries will go much longer than the 500 cycles of charge and use. These tools are the best in class - while others may claim 1,000 - the proof is in use.

Second - when you drain a battery, heat is the by product. A battery charges fully when it is cool. SO - it stands to reason that if a contractor is using the tools heavily then the batteries would be warm. Since time is money - they will want them cooled off and charged again as quickly as possible.

Third - the Rapid Max charger system does not negate the performance of the batteries in the short or long term.

Lastly - ITS RIDGID ORANGE and we are proud of it. Face it - it is a crowded category and we are trying to be noticable. Red is Firestorm and Milwaukee. Yellow is DeWalt. Gray is Porter. So, got to find an industrial color that we can call our own... Just happens to be industrial orange.

We have partnered with OWT (One World Technology's TTNDY.PK) because they have capacity and the ability to make some of the finest products. Look beyond the brands they are best known for.. you may be shocked at who they make for. Besides - we are engineering and R&D experts. They add the value of being the best at manufacturing to our specifications.

Comment

Jon and Brandman, the reason I said 500+ (should have said 500 minimum?) is that they tested to that far at the AMP rating the cells were made at. Sure, the pack will keep on working on, probably to over 1000 charges, if you take care of the pack, and don't let it run down fully causing some of the cells to reverse polarity.

I seriously doubt Milw battery packs retain the exact same capacity at 1000 charges as they do when they are new. The nature of NiCad batterys can't be changed, they do break down over the many cycles they are charged at.

Being that Ridgid packs have forced air through the packs and past the individual cells removing the heat they should last longer than the competitors packs.

Comment

In Ridgids defense My Dewalt 18v batteries get hot when i drain them and i cant even get my charger to charge them til they cool down. So if they have a fan inside then it doesn't mean a lot of down time for me vs. Dewalt. And I would call the color more caramel on the cordless tools I saw, but way off of orange.

Comment

I had a friend that dropped his battery for his milwaulkee drill and cracked the case, in fact a little piece broke off leaving a small hole, that battery holds a charge longer than all the rest, and I believe it is because the heat has a place to escape, doubt the companies want us to know that! keeps us buying more.....if we could find out where to drill a small hole in the batteries...I bet we would lengthen the life and runtime....imho
                  \"Aarrgh, sliver me timbers\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap\" target=\"_blank\">www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap</a>

Comment

Several years ago, I had radio controlled dune buggies and monster trucks for my oldest son and I, expensive ones over $600. I remember reading that the NiCad batteries would last longer totally discharged before charging.

Now I have questions.

I took a low drill battery, and put it on the flash light, turned it on, and left it over night to totally drain. That battery will not charge up now. When you plug it into the charger, the light doesn't even come on, on the charger. Like the circuit is open. Has the battery reversed polarity as stated in an above post? Or has something else happened to the battery?

And to the hot battery not taking a charge issue, would it be feasable to say that placing the freshly drained, warm battery and putting it in the freezer for 5 minutes to cool it off, give it a stronger charge? Or is a method of rapid cooling a battery this way more damaging than good?

I know quite a few of you guys out there know alot about these cordless battery things, where I barely know enough to plug the thing in the right way if not for the little one way notches they have.
                    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

You probably do have a case of cell reversal, and possibly the Black Wire effect. Unless you can open the battery pack and do some surgery, you may be looking at a new one. Some of them are solvent- or sonic-welded shut. If you can get inside, you can test and then replace the individual cells.

In a nutshell, completely discharging the battery means that the weakest cell can have its polarity reversed by the other cells.

NiCad batteries are as hotly debated in some circles as SawStops and BT3100s in certain others. There is a lot of BS about them (including the so-called "memory effect"), but this RC link is a good overview:
                      NiCad FAQ

Most of my experience with NiCad discharge was with professional two-way radio gear and this article seems to sum it up pretty well.

PS: It is good to see you back. You guys, with more WW experience in your little fingers than I will probably ever have, are what makes this forum such great reading.

Comment

Thank you for the info and the link. I've left the thing on the charger a couple of times for more than 24 hours. The charger light comes on indicating it's taking a charge sometime during the night. It does get a small amount of charge, but it doesn't get anywhere near a full charge, and usually is dead in just a few minutes again.

I tried one last time last weekend, and since I don't have time during the week to get into the shop, I found it still in the charger friday night. No light on the charger. I'm just glad I didn't burn the place down after reading some comments on charger/battery fires on the Ryobi site! Least it's a lower 9.6V and not the 18v.
                        John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

The local HD had a Dewally 18v battpack in the return shelf (yeah, I do nose around in there, sometimes they'll take an offer on perfectly good returns) that is totally scorched, blackened, and melted.

Don't know the story, coulda been anything from a direct 220VAC hookup or an internal dead short to a spilled beer, but there's a lot of energy packed into one of those little things.

Usually I figure for the cost of one of those things I will try to get it apart. You can buy replacement cells a lot cheaper.

Comment

500 cycles? I heard DeWalt's get up to 1200! That means with normal usage, a Ridgid battery would only last maybe 1 to 2 years. Unless your batteries are 1/2 price, I would end up spending more on batteries over the life of the tool. So why sacrifice cycle life for a little faster charge?

Comment

No one has from the company has stated 500 cycles. Nor has anyone seen any of the testing certification documentation on our packs Lehigh99.

Our packs are designed and engieered to run longer (in both run time and service life) than the best in the industry. They are also designed to charge faster making you more productive. We didn't copy or use what was available - we innovated.

Comment

Working...
                              X