X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stationary Line

Brandman, I've been looking at the stationary tools on the new website, and I have a couple of questions. It appears that most of the "revamped" stationary tools (with the exception of the new table saw) are the same tools with more orange paint added. Anything different "under the hood"? Anything cool waiting in the wings?

The new table saw, on the other hand, appears to have addressed most of the common complaints about the previous models. Were I in the market, it would definitely be a contender. I'm also impressed (as much as I can be without holding them in my hands)with the new portable lines -- the first time that I read about the 12' rubber cords and lighted plugs, my first reaction was "Hey, somebody's been visiting job sites and talking to the guys who USE these things!" I hope that they live up to the pre-release press.

Back to stationary tools -- I don't see the RAS anymore. Is it gone for good? Will the stationary and benchtop lines be available through distributors other than HD?

Keep up the good work!

D.

There is more than just a fancy new paint job under the hood Dan. The features and functions may not be quantum leaps, but the tolerance and manufacturing changes are leading to more reliable products that will stand up to repeated use.

The table saw was a long development process and something that we are quite proud of. I think you, and others, will like the cab forward design that makes the controls easier to see and operate.

The scroll may be back soon...There is a lot of stuff in development, but to share it with you now would spoil the surprise.

Comment

Well, any good manufacturer always has something new under development -- it takes a long time to bring new stuff from idea to market... a lot longer than many folks realize. Ridgid has a track record of innovation, and assuming (hoping) that the new venture/structure making tools bearing the Ridgid name will build on that track instead of starting over, I expect to see some cool new stuff. I'm looking forward to putting my hands on your new products.

What's the status on the Radial Arm Saw? Has it been retired, or will it be back?

Thanks.

D.

Comment

Yes, I want to know about the RAS myself. Will parts be available in the future for what you have sold to me in the past? Or will it become a junk pile "for parts" to someone eles in the future, making me replace it with another name brand?

And did I read correctly? The new TS3650 has miter "T" slots? Now that is worth it's weight in gold alone! Too bads it's attached to a Freakish color scheme that makes you look at alternative.

Personally, the Shop Fox Cabinet saw is taking 1st place in replacing my TS2424. At least the color won't interupt my self enjoying view of my shop, which I value HIGHLY.

(I hate cutting down a brand name I respect and love. However, I feel betrayed...severely. It no longer looks professional, or with quality with the color scheme. More like a fishing lure designed to catch the fisherman, not the fish.)
        John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

RIDGID has a long standing commitment to make every effort to keep tools up and running. For the Raidal Arm, parts will be available. You can go to www.ridgidparts.com, find complete parts break downs and order those items that you need right on line. We have a commitment to maintain our parts inventory to support those of you with the tools. That goes the same for any RIDGID tool.

UO_Woody, Yes, you read right... The table saw now features a T-Slot in the table top. The brand has not betrayed you - especially if the one thing that creates soreness thus far is the color. The tools in this line, as with any RIDGID tools provide you with productivity, a design with careful considerations given by professionals, that are job site tested. If you don't like our fishing lures... I mean color - I hope that you will like (respect) our features and performance. At the end of the day that is what counts. The color is what allows us to have our own identity. Give it time, it will grow on you - just like your favorite fishing lure.

Comment

Brandman -

I just got a brand new Ridgid Bandsaw about 2 months ago. Needless to say, if what you say about the quality of the new orange tools being better (i.e. closer manufacturing tolerances, etc) is true, then this is kind of frustrating.

For instance, I have noticed that the wheels on my bandsaw are not even remotely balanced.

Is there any hope at being able to exchange my 2 month old bandsaw with one of the new ones?

Also, would it be worth the time and effort? Has the bandsaw changed significantly enough under the hood to make it worthwhile?

Comment

Thanks BrandMan.

I'm glad to hear my RAS can stay functional to the end of my days. But I'm affraid you are incorrect about the color. Reds and Orange colors produce aggression in sycological studies. Blues and grays have a relaxing effect. Just a bit of info I'd thought I throw out there.

I posted to Jake awhile back about my band saw motor making noises and loosing power. He instructed me to keep using it, and if it goes bad Ridgid would take care of it. It's all but gone now. I called ryobi CS on a warrenty dead battery issue, and was put on hold my entire lunch hour and never got an answer. The next day I call Ridgid, and got the same CS. They instructed me to take the unit to the nearest service center. When I called them, they were not answering the phone, just a recording, instructing to leave a message, and they were 3 weeks behind and would call back when I was next in line.

I liked it much better when I called and a new motor was shipped direct from Emerson and my machine was up and running within 3 days. My saw is down, I can't get it looked at. And I have to wonder; will they want me to bring the whole saw 200 miles to them? Just the motor? What do I do in the mean time?

This isn't looking so good for Ridgid from my point of view right now. Do I flip the bill and buy another one to get up and running? Go to brand X to replace the motor? Or scrap the whole thing and replace it with a different brand?

I'm sure Ridgid has solid business reasons for going this route, but it sure isn't pleasing the customers like me. Here I sit with a saw I purchased, with lifetime warrenty, can't get it fixed, and no doubt will have to incure expense and time to disassemble and haul 3 hours or more away, leave it, have someone who could care less reassemble it to look at it, then show up god knows how long later to disassemble it myself, haul it back home and reassemble it. Basically, expense and time involved, cheaper to replace. And after all that, no doubt they will not say it's a manufatures defect, and I'll owe for the motor, labor, and service charge. (guessing here)

Just a FAIR WARNING to others considering Ridgid machinery. Prepare for the worst, because that is what can be expected now. Not the fine 3 day resolutions we have loved and grown accustomed to from Ridgid.

I purchased Ridgid after 3 months of research, which has all turned around now. If I had it to do over again, my choice would be in a different brand, knowing the way things are now.
              John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Please don't take this as a personal assault, but I have to admit I am getting sick of hearing people complain about the orange color. I'm not crazy about it, but if the tools are good I will deal with it. Same goes for the Web site. Ridgid asked for feedback and we gave it to them. I'm sure they know our feelings by now. Too bad they didn't ask us before they started production.

However, UO_Woody's story and similar ones I seen posted recently are what really concern me. My first Ridgid Tool was a RAS1000. When the motor started going, I called Ridgid CS from work. Without so much as a serial number, the person I talked to sent me out a motor which I had in 2 days. I raved to all the DIYers I know about the service. It was this type of service that made me (and probably most others) choose Ridgid over other brands.

Now I see people getting the run around. I still follow this forum hoping to hear of things getting back to the type of service we have come to expect from Ridgid. However, I have a bad feeling that the service won't be going back. AS I have said before, I will still consider Ridgid in the future, but I'm going to have to read some good reviews and hear much better things about Customer Service before I actually buy Ridgid. Maybe if everyone else that feels the same way responds to this topic it will "send" and important message to those in charge.

[ 09-05-2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: MarkR ]
                Mark

Comment

UO_Woody - Have you considered going to Grainger for a Dayton motor to get going again. Since my 2412 has an open frame motor I plan to replace it with an enclosed motor when the time comes. I'll probably have to go to Grainger from all I've been hearing about the new and improved Ridgid CS.

Comment

Why should he have to go anywhere to get his tool fixed, much less spend any money to do it.

My bandsaw wobbles a little too, but I figure it's the belt giving me trouble. I have a new link belt, but I've been too lazy to install and check.

Comment

Captain Bunzo: Any product exchanges would have to be handled between you and Home Depot. But to tell you the truth, except for the color, there have been very few changes made to the band saw. Just out of curiosity how did you determine the wheels were out of balance? Thanks!

Comment

Well I still say I don't have any Ridgid tools & probably won't.
                        I looked at the 12" SCMS it looks like a good saw. BUT I don't like the round table with out any of the customary square ended wing type tables on each end.The tables make it easier to build a table to fit, but that is a small thing I just don't like it. On top of that the changing horses in mid stream as far as the warranty & who manufactures & services the product. Well I don't have anything to lose by waiting & watching. As far as the color if the tools turn out to be poor quality you could alway paint them yellow & put them along the road as lemons.

Comment

Originally posted by bdueker:
                          Captain Bunzo: Any product exchanges would have to be handled between you and Home Depot. But to tell you the truth, except for the color, there have been very few changes made to the band saw. Just out of curiosity how did you determine the wheels were out of balance? Thanks!
                          bdueker - thanks for the response to my post!

As for exchanges with Home Depot, my best question would simply be whether or not their have been updates to the manufacturing standards for the bandsaw. Basically, if the saw that I got two months ago has been much improved, that is of course, frustrating.

As for the wheels being out of alignment, I don't know if I learned this trick via the Bandsaw Book or just basic physics. Here is the procedure.

Take the blade off of the wheels. Hold the first wheel still and let go. If it spins, note where it comes to rest. Position the wheel 1/4 turn from it's initial position. Let go again again and note the resting position. Etc, etc. Repeat for second wheel.

A variation of this is to spin the wheel slowly (without blade), let go, and note place of rest. Repeat, etc, both wheels.

Basically, if the wheel is balanced, it should rest at completely random positions. AND, very much so, when the holding it and rest and letting go, the wheel really shouldn't move at all. A real strong sign of an out of balance wheel is when it always tends to rest at the same place.

Actually, if one is brave or careful, you can balance the wheel by removing metal on different parts of the wheel that show themself to be heavier (i.e. resting on the bottom).

Now, I haven't tried balancing my wheels, but they do show to be definately non-balanced. Very disappointing.

Oh well, the saw is still fun. Any thoughts, bdueker or Brandman?

Comment

I don't know that this will help, but it helped my bandsaw...I put a wolf blade from suffolk machinery on it, and it runs smooth as can be! I am finally realizing I guess just how important a really good blade is on "any" tool!
                            \"Aarrgh, sliver me timbers\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap\" target=\"_blank\">www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap</a>

Comment

Working...
                            X