Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the Lithium-Ion wars begin

Copied from DeWalt website:

New Products The Power Of Corded Without The Cord
    Many professional contractors have been asking, when will DEWALT come out with a cordless line of tools that will give me the increased power and run time that I can only get with a corded tool? Well, the time is near.DEWALT has announced that it will launch a new, innovative line of heavy-duty 36-volt power tools-- a seven tool product platform that will provide users with increased levels of power and runtime, while weighing a similar or lower weight than their corded counterpartsAvailable in 2006, each tool in the 36-volt line has been engineered from the ground up to include new, innovative features while ensuring a design that meets the durability and reliability needed to accommodate this much cordless power. The line will launch with a hammerdrill, reciprocating saw, circular saw, impact wrench, rotary hammer, jigsaw, flashlight and combo kits. The 36-volt line will offer users the most extensive platform of tools available in 36-volt power. DEWALT created its 36-volt platform to provide professional contractors with the performance needed to complete high-powered applications, which previously, were only possible with corded tools. The DEWALT 36-volt line has the ability to deliver 2-3 times more runtime and 2 times the power of 18-volt tools."DEWALT is committed to delivering innovative solutions to meet the needs of professional contractors and has proven this time and time again with our superior product line. The launch of the 36-volt line of power tools will change the landscape of the industry and change what users have come to expect from a cordless power tool. The 36-volt line will finally provide users with a cordless platform that is powerful enough to get the job done, allowing contractors to cut their cords and still achieve true corded performance," commented John Schiech, group vice president and president of DEWALT Industrial Products Group.To create the battery technology for the 36-volt platform, DEWALT partnered with A123Systems, a developer of a new generation of lithium-ion batteries that incorporate nanoscale technology developed at and exclusively licensed from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). The 36-volt battery technology, provided exclusively to DEWALT for power tool applications, has a unique lithium-ion design that offers a high-level of power, durability and life when compared to conventional lithium technology.The 36-volt line will be officially unveiled to the general public at the International Builder’s Show (IBS) in Orlando, FL, scheduled to take place in January 11-14, 2006. At that time, attendees of IBS will have the opportunity to see the tools for the first time and experience them in various applications.

Woodslayer

Good post Woodslayer, ironic that Dewalt's post
    say's the new 36 volt batteries is 2 X the power of an 18 volt battery, 2 X 18=36.....

I meant to say this it's obvious that the 36 voltage is twice the
    voltage of a 18 volt battery.

[ 11-05-2005, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: jaco ]

Comment

News from Bosch:
      "Bosch 36-Volt Rotary Hammer
      This is the first rotary hammer to be powered by the all new 36-volt lithium-ion battery pack.

New electropneumatic hammer mechanism allows power equal to corded models
      Can drill up to 150 holes in concrete with one charge
      40 percent faster than other battery-operated models
      Weighs less than similar 24-volt units"

Comment

Coming soon to a Harbor Freight near you!!!!!

[ 11-05-2005, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: BadgerDave ]
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

36 volts wow.i remember getting a 7.2volt makita an i thought it could get no better than that,that is until i got the 9.6 witch i still have to this day [img]smile.gif[/img] now i am taking bets on who comes out with the frist 50 volt tools and please dont laugh it wasnt that long ago that 18volt tools were just someones dream that only came true about 7-10 years ago
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

how about ridgid take the next step to the 48v 6pc combo.

Hammerdrill/driver
            Reciprocating Saw
            Circular Saw
            Impact Driver
            Bandsaw
            SDS Rotary Hammers

or a 4 pc

Hammerdrill/driver
            Reciprocating Saw
            Circular Saw
            Impact Driver

Don't even bother with a flashlight, unless it's Fluorescent!

Who knows maybe someone will invent cold Fussion powered tools!

[ 11-05-2005, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Polar Sparky 1224 ]
            "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
            "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Interesting that Bosch compares its weight to the 24 volt system that most professionals felt was too heavy to be worthwhile. If the Dewalt is equally as heavy, and given the extra battery cells needed to reach that voltage it probably will be, then I think Big Red still has the advantage with a 28 Volt system that weighs the same as the 18V with more power and run time and has most of its production in the USA.

Of course everything is pure speculation until the new tools are actually released and real professionals use them on real jobs in the real world. I would love the opportunity to use them all side by side in the same conditions on the same project.
              Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

I think B.D. is right!!

Comment

Plumber - you are right on the money. Does this mean 2x the price as well???? Why didn't everyone go to 24V? It's the weight Stupid!!!
                  Unless you are the lead Dog, the scenery does not change...

Comment

Yeah, maybe it's gotten out of hand. More weight (for someone using it all day) equals more fatigue. Trade off to drag a cord around all day. Hmmmmm! Used to be you'd go on a construction site and trip over all the extension cords----now you trip over a whole line-up of chargers.
                    Dave

Comment

If voltages get higher on cordless tools then you might as well buy plug in tools anyway.
                      save the money on future battery issues to!

Comment

Yeah on larger jobs there are sometimes 20 or so chargers piled around the power stations. Its becoming a fight to find a place to plug in the charger. Thats one of the advantages of lithiom ion as showing up on the job with fully charged batteries usually means you don't have to worry about finding a place for your charger.

A generation from now construction workers will be looking at cords the same way we look at a white gas torch or hand drill today. "How did they ever get anything done" they will say.

Lucky them.
                        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

I have not had the time to check, but does dewalt or makita have the fuel gage on their li-ion batteries?
                          Unless you are the lead Dog, the scenery does not change...

Comment

The Makita does not have a fuel gauge.

Comment

First off, I was in the local tool store today (I'm from Canada) and spoke to one of the DeWalt reps who happened to be in the store as I saw the DeWalt Factory truck outside. I asked him about the new 36 V.

He said the new DeWalt 36V circular saw will have a 7 1/4" blade like corded models do (compared to 6 1/2" that all cordless circ saws have). He said they have cut something like 1000 2 x 6's on a single charge. 1000 2 x 6's? He said the battery indicator won't be on the battery like Milwaukee's 28V but instead you can put the battery into the charger and it will tell you how much battery life is left. He said this is because their market research seemed to indicated people found battery indicators on the battery finicky and more potential for something to go wrong where as a charger which is stationary and often in a safe place can cause less to go wrong.

Secondly, relating to the 24 Volts being too heavy. I think the problem with the 24 Volt line wasn't neccessarily it being too heavy as far as there not being much more advantage to going to 24 Volt. Look at how undeveloped 24 Volt tools are. Very few manufacturers took 24 Volt tools on, there wasn't much in the way of combo packs or tools in the line up, the batteries (especially the DeWalt 24 Volt fan cooled batteries) are twice the price of 18 Volt batteries and don't have the shelf life of 18 volt batteries because they generate more heat so they don't last as long. I think weight has little to do with it and it has everything to do with cost and tool development. But now we are seeing tools that will be developed like the lithium ions into bigger platforms with more tools and a revolutionary longer lasting lighter battery. I'll tell you right now if they pushed 24 Volt tools like they pushed the 18 volts I'm sure they would reduce the price of it, and have more buyers. I think weight has less to do with the issue than people exaggerate. The 18 Volt DeWalt tools are light as an example. If the 24 Volts were as cheap and had as many available tools I'd certainl look at them over the 18 Volts considering I am a person who works in a trade for a living whoses tools make or break me.

The DeWalt rep said their 36 V tools will probably be available as early as March in a lot of places.

Comment

Working...
                              X