Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. Look at the HD site under "cordless drills" using your link. You will see that the pictures show the Ridgid drills with the handle in front of the clutch. Now look at the Ridgid website and you will see the apparent new design with the handle behind the clutch. Quite a change in such a short time.

Comment

But if you look at cordless combo kits on the HD site you will see the handle in back now..

Comment

Any how the question is going to be, can we return our handle in front and exchange them for handle in back under the 90 day return and still have the 30% off. Or are they just going to credit us the 365 bucks and then charge us 479 for the newer one?

That's if we like the handle in back better...I have to find one first to make up my mind...

I'm still waiting for someone that has the newer one to give us the build date code so we can tell with out opening a box if its a new one or not...

[ 12-22-2003, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: rrmcbride ]

Comment

Originally posted by mr man:
          I don't think the hammer drills have the clunck because of the split chuck.

I saw some of the newer looking drills in depot today myself. It seems to make the drill look better... the handle says Ridgid on it now, and its easier to get your hand on the chuck to make adjustments on it with the handle attached.
          Mr Man how old is the picture you are using? I see it has the handle in back... And what state are you in?

Comment

Aux. Handle in Front...
            Aux. Handle in Back...

Ok, we made a design change that is a running change in production. The change is the mounting surface area for the aux. handle on the cordless drills. It has moved from in front of the clutch housing to behind the clutch housing. There is no change in performance, there is no change to the inner workings of the drill. The change was made for a technical reason based solely on design revisions.

Drills will not be changed out solely for the costmetic and orientational adjustment that has been made.

If you return a drill and it is replaced under warranty you will be give the new style, or whatever model is the direct replacement depending upon the time of claim.

Same goes for post sale service that falls under the Lifetime Service Warranty promotional offer (which has been extended until JANUARY 31, 2004.)
            If you need a drill replaced it will be with the current model or which ever model replaces the one that you have purchased already that is covered by the promotional agreement.

Comment

A company can never please everyone but I personally like the handle in front. I can see how people could dislike it though. John

Comment

Originally posted by BrandMan:
                Aux. Handle in Front...
                Aux. Handle in Back...

Ok, we made a design change that is a running change in production. The change is the mounting surface area for the aux. handle on the cordless drills. ... There is no change in performance...
                ...Then why does the 4-piece box with the handle behind the clutch say the drill has 510 in-lbs of torque and the 3-piece box with the handle in front of the clutch says that the drill has 485 in-lbs of torque? Both boxes list the same model number for the hammer drill but state different torque ratings for the two variations of aux handle position.

[ 12-27-2003, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: George ]

Comment

That has nothing to do with the new design. The 485 on some and 510 on other sources has been going on since day one. Home depot says 485, ridgid owners manual says 510. Thats from my old school (2 months old [img]smile.gif[/img] ) 3 piece combo

Comment

If you take the time to call Ridgid they'll confirm that the torque is 485

Comment

If that is the case then why does the box and documentation that came with my 4pc set state it has 510?

Comment

The box my new 3pc. (I say new because the side handle is behind the clutch) came in says 510lbs. as well, I don't think 25lbs. is going to make a REAL difference we're talking 485-510lbs. here! Concrete isn't that hard!!! If it's a d**k measuring contest with Dewalt and the red tools, lemmie tell you something Yellow and Red, "the water might be cold, but it's deep too"
                        When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MN_Chef:
                          The box my new 3pc. (I say new because the side handle is behind the clutch) came in says 510lbs. as well, I don't think 25lbs. is going to make a REAL difference ...
                          I agree that there isn't a big difference in torque. But the posting by BrandMan said that there had been no internal changes yet the boxes were showing a difference in torque ratings. If there truely is a difference in torque, then something "internal" had to change. If so, what changed and why? I am only interested in the 3-piece set. (Actually, I would like a 2-piece set as I care not for the light.)

However, I would like to know if there was a problem in the model that has the handle in front of the clutch that was fixed when the handle was placed behind the clutch. If so, I want to find a 3-piece set with the new version with the handle behind the cluth. I don't care much where the handle is relative to the clutch. But I would like an explanation of the change in torque as shown on the boxes the kits come in. None of the Home Depots in my area (there are 4 HDs) even knew there had been a change. I had to show them the differences between the 4-piece box and the 3-piece box.

Comment

True that George. I originally purchased my 3pc. set on Monday Dec. 29, it had the handle in front. The gear selector switch didn't work all that well, when shifted into 2nd gear it wanted to drift back to 1st and there were some definate steel on steel noises coming from inside the case. So after consulting Cranky on another thread I decided to exchange it, (which by the way took 10 minutes, Minnesota nice I guess) my new 3pc. is awesome! The drill is tip top(side handle behind the clutch) and I use the light more than I thought I would! I came to the conclusion that my first kit had been gone through, possible it was a "shelf ready return" I dunno, maybe the handle in-front of the clutch did indeed cause some internal conflicts, but they have all been taken care of with this design change, as far as I can tell.
                            When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!!

Comment

RRmcbride,
                              You asked if someone had what is apparently the newer model and what it's date code is. I have one with the handle mounted behind the clutch. It's date code is G0344. Maskman's drill is date coded G0342 and it has the handle mounted in front of the clutch, so apparently this change took place between those date codes.
                              As he stated we didn't notice any performance differences when we tested them together this evening, so at the present time other than his handle being able to rotate and clear the battery, we're both satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                              X