X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any plans for a shaper???

Anyone know if theres any plans for ridgid to come out with a wood shaper?? What would you guys say is the best shaper for around the $500 mark ?
    \"practice is like farting; only you can do it yourself\' and no one can do it for you\"-sawaki kodo (zen master)

I seriously doubt Ridgid will come out with one, as they've pretty much let their lathe and radial arm saw die out in the stores, and I think serious ww'rs have more demand for these than a shaper.

From what I've seen, Delta carries a nice one. I don't know a thing about their quality, but Grizly carries them and a lot of heads to boot, but then again, you'll get what you pay for.
    Dave

Comment

Aikiwood,

There is a void in the 500-750 dollar shaper. I was speaking with a delta rep (at a trade show) the other weekend and he told me that he has nothing to compete with in this price category.

The JET distributor had three shapers at $600 (show price) and sold all three on the first day.

There was a world of difference between the Delta and Jet Machines. The delta was 50% more than the Jet, but was much more than 50% of a machine. I would not even compare the two based on quality.

Basically, if you need a shaper then you are not going to be looking for a small machine.

Comment

So to make sure ive got it right your saying the delta beats out the jet hands down in your opinion?
        Thanks for the info.Interesting what the rep. had to say at the trade show, seems like ridgid would pick up on stuff like that
        \"practice is like farting; only you can do it yourself\' and no one can do it for you\"-sawaki kodo (zen master)

Comment

Aikiwood,

Yes, The Delta beats the Jet hands down.

The comparison is more apples to oranges than apples to apples.

[ 04-26-2005, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Desmo888 ]

Comment

Guess I didn't state it clearly enough. Ridgid is only interested in tools that can sell in volume. Shapers are for people/shops seriously into woodworking----if Ridgid was interested in that market, they'd have come out with a better lathe (instead of letting their old lathe die out in the stores). Nothing against some of the tools Ridgid makes---some are a good value. They're just not in the advanced ww'ing market.
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X