X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium batteries?

I was in my local HD the other day and happened to run into a Ridgid tool rep. So we got to talking about the tools when the subject of the batteries came up. He told me that all of the Ridgid battery packs are lithium instead of NiCD. Needless to say this information blew me away and I didn't believe it for a second. He seemed very positive about it explaining that Ridgid is the 1st company to try this and said part of the reason that they were able to give the lifetime service warranty to the batteries was because lithium batteries would last that much longer than the standard NiCD. Is there any warrant to this claim? If not, then I have just lost all faith in Ridgid store reps.
    You can\'t make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt, and who wants to make butt prints in the sands of time.

Look on the bottom of the batteries. they all say NiCad. Not Lithium. I think he was blowing smoke up your, um, drill press.

Comment

What city and state were you in?

Comment

I just purchased the R922 4 piece combo kit. I certainly hope they will honor the lifetime warranty. I have my doubts. Panasonic currently has a metal-hydride battery replacing the old batteries. They provide larger Ah capacity. Hitachi has new chargers that charge old style batteries and new metal-hydride batteries when available also. They also will allow the new metal-hydride batteries to function in place of the old style batteries in the older tools. I would hope Ridgid would follow, but I wonder if the current charger would function for new style batteries.

Comment

Mr. Man I was in the Fargo, ND Home Depot
          You can\'t make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt, and who wants to make butt prints in the sands of time.

Comment

lithium huh? if they are i hope they're sealed up nice and tight... wouldn't want to get them wet.

Comment

The only power tool I know of that has lithium batteries is the new cordless Dremel. Ridgid simply could not afford to replace batteries for life if they put lithium ion batteries in power tools. Heck a battery alone for a 14.4 v drill/driver would cost more than the retail price of the whole drill/driver/charger/2 batteries/case kit. Example, the 4 amp-hour 14.8 v lithium ion battery in the laptop I'm using to type this costs over $200. It also weighs about 1/2 of what the 2.6 amp-hour 14.4 v Ni-mH batteries on my Makita drill/driver weigh.

Also, Li-Ion batteries have a fixed life, in terms of charge/discharge cycles. The lithium ions in them slowly turn into elemental lithium and they become dangerous. Early lithium (not Li-Ion) rechargeables exploded with annoying frequency, hence the development of the Li-Ion "smart" batteries that count chg/dischg. cycles and monitor chg/dischg temps, etc.

Comment

They are nicads. The Rep is confused and may not read his own literature. Nicads are better for the use given these type tools. Heat and cold are the enemy of batteries. Nicads can handle the temperature extremes much better. The lithium are great for some things but not the job site.

Comment

Ridgid (nor any other manufacturer) will make a drill with lithium-ion batteries. They are simply not a good match for drill applications. Drill have a variable load on the battery (big hole vs small hole). Ni-cads are good for this. So are NiMH (Makita). Lithium Ion batteries are good in tools that have a CONSTANT draw on the batteries. That is why Dremel is using them in their cordless. Whether you are buffing, sanding, grinding, polishing etc, it is a constant draw on the battery. Simpler example; call phones and watches use lithium ions (constant draw, 4am vs 12pm, or call to Atlanta vs call to Cleveland).

Comment

Well, looks like the Milwaukee V28 tool line shows that Lithium ion is definately an option. I would suspect that RIDGID will have access to this technology due to the relationship they have with TTI. Time will tell.

Comment

This post is soo completely filled with misinformation that I was almost crying when I read it.

measure once...cut twice,
                      If that was really your local RIGID rep, you could easily have that guy fired. He completely has no idea what he is talking about. Rigid DOES NOT HAVE any lithium Ion powered tools. And likely will not have any for some time. There are only a handful of companies that have lithium ion powered tools and they include Milwaukee, Dremel (owned by Bosch) and some other lesser known Japanese tool manufacturer that currently only makes one tool power by Lithium ion.
                      So there is no warrant to his claim an you have every reason to have lost all faith in your rep.

Captain Jack,
                      True, you do not want to get a lithium ion pack wet, but then again, you don't want to get any battery pack wet. Simple common sense.

Scott C,
                      Currently the only commonly available tools that are lithium ion powered are the Dremel and Milwaukee's 28V. The markup on battery packs would make you furious, so trust me when I say they aren't as expensive as they should be.
                      I have to correct you on your statements about Lithium ion batteries. Their life is not fixed. And their ions do not turn into elemental lithium. The development of 'smart' batteries was not exactly for the reasons that you mention. A lithium ion battery pack as with any battery of any chemistry has what is called a rated capacity at a given temperature. Packs are then rated to get a given number of cycles at a given temperature at a give rate. If you go above or below the 'ideal' temperature or other parameter, you will not get as many cycles. The circuitry in lithium ion packs is to prevent over charge (which causes the very bad lithium plating condition that you mentioned), it also prevents over discharge (which affects cycle life) and current limiting (too high of a rate of discharge which heats up the cell), circuitry also can communicate with a device to give cycle counts, remaining capacity and monitor temperature. New cells and packs are the safest packs around and should not be of a concern to anyone.

Kahootz,
                      When properly implemented, lithium ion cells will work in almost any battery power application. They are ideal for drills. High rate Nicads or NMHi cells are no match to high rate lithium ion cells.

Battery Guy,
                      RIGID tools are only assembled by TTI, and will not have access to the new technology for at least a year or so. Betcha there is an exclusivity clause with TTI/Milwaukee for these new battery packs.

Have a nice day.

[ 03-24-2005, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: SmartA$$ ]

Comment

SMART A$$

might want to check your facts.... before you write, MAKITA...MAKITA does have Litium batties also. They have had them for quite awhile. They are always on board before anyone else get to start and design theirs. Makita is far ahead of everyone in inovation. You want tools...buy they teal!!!

Comment

Packer.......Makita....Oh yeah the teal toy tools....yeah, they slipped my mind. Sorry about that. Why is it that nobody but you knows about them (their Lithium tools)??

Trust me, Makita is way behind in the development of lithium ion powered tools.

Lemme guess......you drive a teal mid 90's civic don't you.

Have a nice day.

Comment

ni-cd or lithium, both will wear out too..

Comment

Makita has had these batterys for about 3 years now. makita has very good battery life and pretty good tools.i work on cordless all the time.since they were the only ones to have this battery out before the other players how could they be way behind in ther technology(SMART A>>>&gt the top 3 cordless drills outhere are. milwaukee,makita,and bosch. the top selling is dewalt.your erogance is your stupidity smart guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X