X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tule guy,
    I just bought the ms12900 the 12" slider compound miter other week the one with out the exactline laser. My local HD made a real good deal on it. From all I've heard/read about it you might want to see if they have a non-laser model they are willing to deal on. I don't think you will be upset with which ever saw you purchase the Ridgid or Dewalt.

Comment

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Are the saws not the same price they used to be? You don't even have to put the laser unit on if you don't want to.

I like the newer saws much better over the old, laser etched miter gauge filled in with paint, looks very precise, a much nicer finished surface on the deck, and to top it off you get a great working clamp that Dewalt wants $40 bucks for seperatly. The 12" saw also includes a decent shop stand for those that won't move it around much. Hard to beat for the price of them, considering the life time warrenty.

For me, they have the dewalts beat for what you get for the money, with our without the laser.

Comment

Mr. Man,
        Don't get me wrong, I love my new Ridgid tools...this lifetime battery deal is SWEET. But on the subject of Miter Saws: As a woodworker I want the most accurate Miter Saw available. Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy...that's the name of the game. I read "WOOD" and other woodworking magazines which give prduct reviews all the time (they claim that they do not take kickbacks, free products, etc. from any manufacturer so they are unbiased). Every woodworking magazine rates Dewalt Miter Saws the highest. This is consistently the case. I have a 12 inch compound Dewalt that I love, though I am presently converting some tools to RIDGID. From everything I've read they are the most accurate saws on the market (unless you want to shell out $2200 for some Italian rig). Woodworker magazine said that lasers on Miter Saws are a "marketing gimmic." Furthermore, Dewalt has a portable stand that is pricey but SWEET.

Can you please tell me (ie. sell me) why the Ridgid saws are superior? I'm not "trolling," just real interested to get the facts and more than willing to convert my rig to a RIDGID if I can be sold on it.

Thanks Mr. Man...you are the MAN!!!!

Comment

I'm in the market for a 12" sliding compound miter saw - been looking at them for some time. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices - the Dewalt DW708 or the Rigid MS1290LZ. Any info that might help in my decision making would be appreciated. P.S. Dewalt is offering a $50 rebate if you purchase the saw before July 2004 bringing it in at around $550 vs. Rigid's $600.

Comment

I too am about to make the 12" slide saw purchase, and am somewhat concerned why there was no answer to the previous question regarding a comparison between the Dewalt and the Ridgid.
            Any one got any real info?

Comment

If accuracy is your primary criteria for a compound miter saw, then take some time and look at the Hitachi 10' slider.

The saw is precise, the laser is dead center of the kerf, and everything is adjustable.

The laser is bright enough to see in medium light out doors (in full sun you will need a baseball cap to create shade for the laser) and the beam is controlled by an on/off switch.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
                Right now H.D. has the ms1290lz for $547.00.
                They are offering 10% off any Ridgid purchase if you open a commercial account. They are also giving a $100.00 gift card when you purchase this saw. 10% is about $55.00 plus the $100.00 gift card puts that saw at about 392.00. I took the plunge today and did it. Also got 10% off of the Ridgid MSUV saw stand as well. Total package at about $575.00 plus tax. The "laser" comes unattached and in its own separate bag. That is where I am sure that it will stay. Imo "lasers" are a cheesy gimick. My old chop saw is 16 years old and I've really felt like it was a good opportunity to snag a new one. I have a project comming up where the homeowner has the Dewalt 12" scms mounted on the Ridgid stand, so I will be able to use both saws side by side for a couple of days. I will post my opinions everywhere possible.
                I hope that I will still want to keep my new Ridgid after the comparison!

Comment

These are the results of the side by side comparison with the Dewalt 12"csms.
                  The job was several arched cased openings and arched windows with casing and returns.
                  Here is what I determined...
                  -the dewalt needed calibration on the bevel and the slider tubes (as did my ridgid out of the box).
                  -Dewalt has no preset stops on the bevel, Ridgid does.
                  -The Dewalt preset stops on the mitre table will "suck" the table into them when it is close,(example: you cannot get 31 degs. or 32 degs. because the preset stop at 31.6 degs. will override and "suck" it in to 31.6) This in my opinion really "sucks".(humour intended)
                  -The ridged has a much larger table than the dewalt. That larger table was a definite advantage on this particular job as follows:
                  All the arched returns and casing pieces needed to be cut to fit. Since you cant place a curved piece of trim squarely against a square fence, you must scribe a template outline on the saws table with a pencil in order to keep your cuts consistent. The larger table provided a longer template to align the trim with.
                  -The table on the dewalt will rotate past all of the preset mitre stops without the release being pressed. Once it is actually in the preset stop, it will stay there, but when the released is momentarily actuated to rotate the table to a new position, it will continue to rotate to the furthest possible range of its travel without the release being operated throughout the movement. This was not necassarily a bad thing, though
                  the ridgid has a much smoother and deliberate miter adjustment mechanism.
                  -The Dewalt saw was noticably lighter, which is a good thing. Dewalt had no trigger safety on on-off switch, This was not necassarily a bad thing.
                  - The dewalt had less depth of cut, which equates to less cutting capacity on wide boards.
                  -The Dewalt does have a better depth of cut adjustment, though thats not a adjustment that I personally would use much.
                  -On both the passive dust collection was useless.
                  -The Dewalt does not have a laser. Now previously I had thought that a laser was cheesey crap, but on this job I started to appreciate its ability to properly align the blade with the cut to be made before the blade came into contact with the trim piece.After realizing this, and becoming accustomed to it, I noticed that it took more time and concentration to align the blade to the cut to be made on the trim piece when using the Dewalt. RIDGID PAY ATTENTION: I do wish that the Ridged had a laser on both sides of the blade, this would be a low cost imporvement.
                  Both saws were (and still are) mounted on the Ridged mobile miter saw stand, (which I can only say good things about).

Both saws are a pleasure to use, though I am glad that I chose the Ridgid over the Dewalt this time.
                  You may want to check out: http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/artic...=2173&partID=2
                  Dimitri

[ 09-08-2004, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Dimitrin ]

Comment

I have used a borrowed Dewalt 12" sliding compound miter saw and recently purchased the RIDGID 1290LZ. Reason was the laser(I'm thinking...accuracy accuracy accuracy) and the lower price. Biggest difference is in the table. The size of it is massive compared to the Dewalt. Degree marks are accordingly wider and larger making them easier to see. The bevel scale is also larger making it easier to read and adjust.The holddown clamp is quite useful too.

Gotta tell ya though that I agree with several other posters on the laser pointer. What the *#@? good is it if it doesn't paint a mark EXACTLY (I mean PRECISELY) where the blade is going to contact the work. What's the point of a "general reference", I mean, lowering the blade to contact the work is a better general reference, isn't it? I think this amounts to marketing gimickery and I wish RIDGID would make the promise of high accuracy good. The reason I came to this forum today was to find out if anyone had info on how to adjust the laser line's position relative to the actual kerf location.

In my humble opinion... There ARE NO knowledgeable sales people at the Home Depot, you can be sweeping floors at the Wal*Mart this week and passing out bad information about tools at the Home Depot next week... any fool can get a job there.

By the way, the BEST DEAL I found on this saw was at http://www.cumminstools.com where you can buy a factory reconditioned one for about $430 with a 1 year warranty.
                    ...remember... it takes guts to have fun!

Comment

Unfortunately, there is no way to adjust the laser. Ridgid, Craftsman, Protec, and Ryobi, to name just a few, there are more, all use this style of laser. None of them produce a laser line that is the actual cutline.

[ 10-17-2004, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I bought the LaserKerf. Works great

Comment

I like the way SNOTZHEDOG said it about the laser line! I will never trust a set gadget on a tool I move and bump around day to day job to job. Maybe I'm old school,but like on a chop saw I will always lay the teeth on the side of my mark I wish to cut, trusting only my own eyes. I feel the laser guide line is just a cheep gadget to sell a tool to the inexperienced home owner.

Always protect and trust your own eye!
                          Bob B
                          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                          Be safe out there folks
                          Bob B
                          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

And I am one of those home owners/hobbyist woodworkers that got tricked into buying this saw because of the laser. I have a ton of Ridgid tools, won't list them all here, and when I wanted a compound miter saw I did research and was happy with what I read about the Ridgid. No where before I bought did I see anything in print, particularly not from Ridgid, that said the laser line would not align with my mark on the board. I want to be as accurate as possible and seeing a laser on this saw, I thought it would be dead on. I sure was tricked. Dont get me wrong. I love the saw, and would not return it. It is such a great tool and I use it as much or more than any tool in my shop every day. But why did Ridgid promote this saw with a laser, giving us all the impression that it would be more accurate than ever before? I lower my blade and line the teeth up with my mark, so why bother with the laser since it is not on the line? I understand there is an after market laser that will fit my saw and will fall on the line, but fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I still do not believe that for my purposes there is a better saw out here, however, it still bothers me that I was duped into buying this saw because Ridgid was not accurate with the accuracy of the laser on the saw. They did not show a picture on the box of the laser off the mark. They knew before releasing the saw and I still believe they should be held responsible for misleading adverising. It was not done blatantly but in a more subtle way. Shame on you Ridgid. Murray
                            Goldenwing

Comment

And I am one of those home owners/hobbyist woodworkers that got tricked into buying this saw because of the laser. I have a ton of Ridgid tools, won't list them all here, and when I wanted a compound miter saw I did research and was happy with what I read about the Ridgid. No where before I bought did I see anything in print, particularly not from Ridgid, that said the laser line would not align with my mark on the board. I want to be as accurate as possible and seeing a laser on this saw, I thought it would be dead on. I sure was tricked. Dont get me wrong. I love the saw, and would not return it. It is such a great tool and I use it as much or more than any tool in my shop every day. But why did Ridgid promote this saw with a laser, giving us all the impression that it would be more accurate than ever before? I lower my blade and line the teeth up with my mark, so why bother with the laser since it is not on the line? I understand there is an after market laser that will fit my saw and will fall on the line, but fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I still do not believe that for my purposes there is a better saw out here, however, it still bothers me that I was duped into buying this saw because Ridgid was not accurate with the accuracy of the laser on the saw. They did not show a picture on the box of the laser off the mark. They knew before releasing the saw and I still believe they should be held responsible for misleading adverising. It was not done blatantly but in a more subtle way. Shame on you Ridgid. Murray
                              Goldenwing

Comment

Contrary to one post above, there is a laser device that can be aligned right onto the cut made by the blade:

http://www.laserkerf.com/

I recently purchased a MS1290LZ. It seemed the better deal when compared to the nearest equivalent DeWalt model - DW708, being that it had a larger work surface (Heavy! See below), lower price ($547 vs. $599) and the now questionable laser. I figured whether the laser works or not, it’s was just cheaper. I feel that DeWalts are generally overpriced, not bad for a Black & Decker brand…

And true as stated in above previous posts, the laser is mounted on the arbor so the laser line it emits is “perfectly” parallel to the saw cut, albeit about 1/8” off to the left, but nonetheless parallel. It will not go out of alignment as such there are no adjustments. If you can get used to this setup, then everything should be fine right of the box. But don’t purchase it solely because of the laser feature, or you will be disappointed.

Personally I agree with others that the laser is kind of “hokey” if not useless. Being centrifugally actuated, you kind of have to “rev” the blade to see the laser line to adjust your piece to make your cut - kind of an awkward, if not risky way to work. I will probably remove this arbor mounted laser and get the LaserKerf.

Other than that I was pleased with all the features and quality, although sadly the first one I got had the sliding action out of alignment. Had to return it to H.D., got another one which turned out fine. ??? One more warning: this thing is HEAVY! Just getting it out of the box was task in itself.

Lotsa Luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X