Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I myself am also satisfied with the MS1290LZ, with the exception of the laser. But then again, I cannot complain as I bought the saw for $400.00 from Home Depot. They marked it down because it was a "slow moving" item. Too bad they didn't do this with my TS3650!! LOL. Anyway, accuracy is a major concern with me, and although I can use the whole teeth-to-the-mark technique, I prefer a laser that shows exactly what the blade is going to remove. This is the sole reason I bought the laserkerf. I only wish that Ridgid would partner with laserkerf and make this item standard with the MS1290LZ. Ridgid should re-name the Exactline Laser Alignment system to the Off By 1/8th-3/16th So You Had Better Account For It Laser Alignment System. But seriously, Ridgid makes some awesome tools, but I think they missed the mark with this one. Pun intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Dave:
      Unfortunately, there is no way to adjust the laser. Ridgid, Craftsman, Protec, and Ryobi, to name just a few, there are more, all use this style of laser. None of them produce a laser line that is the actual cutline.
      Then you should check out the Hitachi models. The laser works of the power not the blade. It is mounted in the body of the table and can be adjusted to either side of the blade or right down themiddle

Comment

Re: EXACTLINE™ LASER ALIGNMENT SYSTEM Question

I know this is an old thread, but I did figure out how to adjust the laser on my
        MS1290LZA saw. The instruction manual states that there is a button and screw to adjust the laser, but my laser does not have any adjustment screw or button. To adjust my laser I removed the two screws in the back of the laser unit and seperated the two halves. From here I could use a flat screw driver to DELICATELY pry the back of the laser aperature itself away from the housing as to slightly adjust its angle. Then I put it back together. Originally, my laser was 1/8th inch away from the line, now its dead on the left of the kerf!

Comment

Originally posted by anonridgiduser View Post
          I know this is an old thread, but I did figure out how to adjust the laser on my
          MS1290LZA saw. The instruction manual states that there is a button and screw to adjust the laser, but my laser does not have any adjustment screw or button. To adjust my laser I removed the two screws in the back of the laser unit and seperated the two halves. From here I could use a flat screw driver to DELICATELY pry the back of the laser aperature itself away from the housing as to slightly adjust its angle. Then I put it back together. Originally, my laser was 1/8th inch away from the line, now its dead on the left of the kerf!
          When I first got mine, I had to fool with it also. But, mine had a small Allen screw for adjustments. Apparently during assembly, the laser was not positioned correctly and my adjustments went from bad to even worst with the adjusting screw. Did what you did and got inside and operated on it and now I can adjust to which ever side of the kerf I want.

Are you sure that there wasn't a small Allen screw?

Ron

Comment

No screw on mine. No button to manually turn the laser on while adjusting either. I assumed that the LZ in the product code for the saw stood for laser, and the LZA stood for laser that could be adjusted. Just guessing though. My saw is actually the LZ not the LZA
            Last edited by anonridgiduser; 07-30-2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

I have the 1290 slider saw and have never used the laser guide. The problem with it is twofold.

First, the accuracy is questionable, because it has to angle towards the cutting point and so the line moves as the blade is lowered.

Second, in order for it to work the blade has to be spinning (it uses a centrifical switch), which is not something I want to be happening as I shift a workpiece underneath to get the cut point correct.

It is best to forget about the laser guide and just practice alignment while lowering a non-spinning blade down to near the cut point and then aligning the workpiece as required - before turning on the blade and doing the cut.

Safer, quieter, and probably more accurate.

PS: while I decry the laser guide, I very much love the saw (I have never encountered the raill misalignment problems some have mentioned on various sites) and I do recommend it. Oops, I think it has been discontinued and replaced by what appears to be a pretty good 10-inch version that, unfortunately, with its smaller-diameter blade, cannot cut as deep.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

Working...
              X