X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXACTLINE™ LASER ALIGNMENT SYSTEM Question

will the exactline system fit on my ms1290 saw? Is the laser line bright enough to be seen in daylight?

The exactline laser will not mount to older RIDGID mitersaws. The blade guard and the upper blade cover have been changed to accomodate the laser.

As for day light. With the wide variations in lighting, ambient conditions... hard to give you a one size fits all answer. We have used the saw in sun light and have been able to see the line. I would suggest that the best answer is that in direct sunlight - you results will vary.

Comment

I got the laser on the miter saw i just bought (MS1290LZ). Please save you money. the line is bright but shows nowhere near the saw blade. I E-Mailed support but got a very very unhelpfull answer. basicly I was told to live with it and learn how close the drawn line needs to be laser line. for this i paid $597.

Comment

I was planning to make the MS1290LZ my next purchase! Is this a set-up / adjustment issue? Comments from any other purchasers? I would like to know now before I buy!

From what I have seen of other MSs in stores, the PC model has a laser beam on both sides of the blade. Last week, a post was made concerning the fact that the 1290 has only one laser beam to the left side of the cut. Is a double beam better than a single beam?
        Chris Berg

Comment

EXACTLINE is built into the arbor washer. When you tighen down the blade to the arbor, your EXACTLINE is aligned to the kerf of the blade. There is no adjustment, nothing to get knocked out of alignment. The beam falls directly to the left of your cut line, or the kerf of the blade. Makes it quick easy and reliable for set up and reference use.

Comment

well if the laser line is aligned with the blade kref why was i told to practice getting the cuts right after i explained that the line on my saw was 1/8 to 3/16 from the kref.

Comment

Mike, The laser line and the cut line do not overlap. You have to put the right side of the laser beam on the cut line of your board. The saw kerf will not cut directly on the laser beam, it will be on the right side of the beam, which is about an eighth inch from the center of the laser beam. I believe the saw blade blocks a portion of the laser, so there is no adjustment to make, and I dont see any way it could be off, because the shadow of the blade is the right edge of the laser line, but I could be wrong about that. hth

Comment

FatBoy

thats my problem the laser line ends 1/8 to 3/16 from the blade it self. the blade can not block the laser beam.

Comment

The truth of the whole lazerline debate is that no lazer is going to line up EXACTLY with the cut... it will always be off. The purpose of the laser is to make setting up a cut a bit easier by referencing from the lazer line. Another thing to keep in mind is that not all carbide blades are alike. the lazer is going to be off more or less depending on how wide the teeth are on the blade.
                  You can\'t make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt, and who wants to make butt prints in the sands of time.

Comment

Mike, Sorry I'm not very good at explaining stuff. If you taqke a square and scribe a cut line on a board and put it on the miter saw and pull the trigger to make the laser get going and lower the saw until the line is solid across the board, the cut line can not be under the red line at all. It has to be on the right edge of the laser. To tell the truth, Ii find it easier and faster to lower the blade down and looking at the teeth on the blade to align the cut before I start the saw. Apparently Ii'm not very good at typing or spelling either.

Comment

The key thing to remember with EXACTLINE, or any Laser alignment tool, is that it is a reference. As for the distance change - because you are moving the laser close to the stock as you lower the saw. That is why it is suggested that you test, or experiment.

Comment

But I was told by a Home Depot associate you have to turn the saw on (blade spinning) to see the laserline. If I am trying to line up a cut, itsn't that a bit dangerous to have the blade spinning?

Comment

Originally posted by lehigh99:
                          But I was told by a Home Depot associate you have to turn the saw on (blade spinning) to see the laserline. If I am trying to line up a cut, itsn't that a bit dangerous to have the blade spinning?
                          You're correct, the laser is centrifugal - it only works when the blade is spinning. For the life of me, I cannot understand how this laser line is an improvement, or even a useful feature. My contractor customers are looking at it, and laughing. I don't use it as a selling point any more.

Comment

The blade guard is slotted on the bottom to allow a dotted line to appear across the work piece. Keep in mind - the laser is not to be a direct replacement for manual alignment of a cut. It is a visual reference to reinforce that everything is correct. I would offer that this is true of most any laser alignment system offered today.

Comment

i am new to this site, please forgive any bad format.
                              i am responding to superdave's comments as to weather LASERLINE technology has any benefit, or is it just a "gee whizz---look what i got for Christmas toy?"

i am in the market to replace my old miter saw (DELTA 10 inch) wich has served me well for the last 10 yrs. i am not a pro working in the industry, but i want a tool that is dependable and user frendly.

it seems that most of the saws available now have the laser feature, but, i am not convinced that it is necessary.

should i be looking at the Dewalt 10 inch as opposed to the Rigid MS1065LZ ?

Comment

Working...
                              X