Verdict on the New 18v Jigsaw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verdict on the New 18v Jigsaw

Whats the verdict on the new 18v Jigsaw. Looking for a new one and cant decide to get the cordless ridgid with more batteries or get a bosch corded.

Smashp, IMHO stay plugged in (corded tools). Bosch make great jig saws and you will never regret it even if you have to move a cord around. Ridgid seems to have a nice jig saw as well and they have the 12' lighted cord. I will by in the market for one next spring and I will test these two out but I will not even consider the cordless ones. I build decks and I would only use cordless drills due to the fact that they would be used quite frequently. A cordless jig saw would be used a few short times on one project and that is it.

Anyhow it is your choice.
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

I purchased the cordless Ridgid Jig Saw last week at the BOB for $199. I have used it on several projects since I bought it. Here is my take on it:
      The saw is pretty heavy which will give you hand cramps after long usage.
      Battey power lasted my just about all the way through building a day bed out of oak.
      The clear plastic chip guard is not very well designed. When you go to insert the saw blade into the port, the plastic chip guard flys off every time. Other than the chip guard which I removed and tossed- I really like the saw.
      Comes in nice hard case. Really needs to have a dual port charger and two batteries instead of one battery and one port but other than that, I am very happy with mine.
      I have a major shortage of electrical outlets in my shop plus I hate power cords everywhere.
      A few years ago, I was working on a project with a corded jig saw...Make a long story short-not paying attention to what I was doing, cut through the cord and almost turned my self into a human transformer-just thought I would share-I am generally SAFETY FIRST since this mishap.

[ 12-07-2004, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: swhalen ]

Comment

Originally posted by swhalen:
        Battey power lasted my "just about" all the way through building a day bed out of oak.
        Thats why I will never buy a battery powered saw.
        [img]tongue.gif[/img]
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerdave:
          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by swhalen:
          Battey power lasted my "just about" all the way through building a day bed out of oak.
          Thats why I will never buy a battery powered saw.
          [img]tongue.gif[/img]
          </font>[/QUOTE]Ok...so the battery did loose juice before the end of my project...It was cool, I had 11 other charged batteries..lol.
          Point well taken, BadgerDave. Some day,Somewhere-a persons heart will stop and the Ridgid Brand Defibulator powered by a Ridgid 18Volt battery will be difference between life and death. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Can't you take some lunch time and recharge that battery. "Almost all day" on hard oak, thats fantastic [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

By the way chip gards are useless. I've never seen one work properly. Its to satisfy lawyers and OSHA.

[ 12-09-2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: paul v. ]

Comment

Originally posted by paul v.:
              Can't you take some lunch time and recharge that battery. "Allmost all day" on hard oak, thats fantastic [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

LOL...I didn't have to eat lunch...I just reached for my plethora of extra 18V batteries and kept on working-BadgerDave hates cordless and I love cordless so we are having a jousting contest just for fun about pros and cons...You are a cool dude, BadgerDave [img]smile.gif[/img]

By the way chip gards are useless. I've never seen one work properly. Its to satisfy lawyers and OSHA.
              I guess OSHA and Lawyers never use power tools...They pay somebody else to get aggravated with a chip guard that launches and flys 20 feet away when you power up the saw..lol...
              Don't get me wrong though, I really love my Ridgid Jigsaw..just one flaw I can see.

[ 12-08-2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: swhalen ]

Comment

Yessirree, there is certainly a lot snits and a PLETHORA of giggles when it comes to a cordial discussion of corded vs uncorded.
                ================================================== ====
                ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Working...
                X