Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukee's new 28V Cordless Tool Lineup

http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/jan05/292378.asp

Ideas? Comments?

The first paragraph pretty much says it all. These are not tools meant for the hobbyist.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

How much will they cost? and realy last on the job. I'm OK with my ridgid set I'll work with the drill!but when I want power I plug in!

Be safe protect your eyes.
      Bob B
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      Be safe out there folks
      Bob B
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

As a professional plumber I have always used Milwaukee and Rigid tools. These two companies are the cream of the professional plumbing tool industry. Everyone else is a pretender, save for Bosch whose heavy jack hammers make up for its other shortcomings.

If this lithium battery technology is as advanced and as reliable as they claim then this is great news for everyone. I am no tree hugger but we dont want to leave our kids figuring out what to do with fifty million used cadmium battery packs if we can avoid it.

These tools are going to cost about 40% more than the current 18v tools do. But if the tools are lighter and twice as powerful and last much longer then I believe they are in my near future.

Rigid has had all of my pipe cutting and machining business for the last three decades, as well as my pipe wrenches and tubing tools, and will continue to have it as long as they keep their quality high and their production in the U.S.A. Milwaukee, which has always had my portable electric tool business will be making almost all of their new 28v tools here in the good ol U.S.A. and they are bringing production of their batteries from Asia to Canada. This is all a very good thing. This ups the bar and most in the industry know that the Rigid Tool Co. will be able to meet the challange.
        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Well 40% more than retail of $500= $700 for a combo kit. Nothing to sneeze at.

Comment

Not only is the price gonna be sky high, but what about the weight. No thanks, I'll stick with my Ridgid 18 volt kit.

Comment

I saw the tools at the Builder’s Show in Orlando a week ago. They are no heavier than an 18V tool and the battery is actually lighter than an 18 v nicad or nimh battery. As for price, what is more productivity out of your crew worth? How many times have you seen them on a break because they are going for new battery? The cordless band saw cuts really nice, just like my portaband with a cord. I can by a new tool if it saves me money. And, if the battery packs lives twice as long as the 18’s, how much are you saving not buying more nicads?

Comment

Hi Mr Lang,

Umm, I like to take breaks. It leaves me with enough energy to do side jobs at the end of the day. Just kidding.

I was unable to get to the Orlando show but everything I have read agrees with what you say. I really like the idea of not having to come down from a lift or walk back to a staging area to get fresh batteries. Plus it sounds like I wont have to fill a tool box up with spares. In manufacturing plants, mills and food processing facilities it is not always a good idea to stretch a cord, either for saftey reasons or the fact that heavy equipment running over a cord is not good for it or your tools.

If these lithium tools work as well as advertised it is indeed a whole nother ballgame.

Comment

Another thing Milwaukee added to the lithium battery pack is a LED fuel gauge to tell you how much juice is left in the battery in 25% increments. Nice feature.

Comment

Was at a show in Orlando for Orgill(a buying group like Ace, TrueValue) and Milwaukee was there with the 28v tools and they are just as light as my dewalt. While as was there i talked with Bosch, DeWalt, Hitachi, and Makita. All the other brands of tools did not seem that concerned about it. Bosch and DeWalt said they have looked into it and the style of Lithium Ion that Milwaukee is using is not suppose to get the same number of recharges as a NiCd battery. But that is coming from the DeWalt and Bosch Reps so who knows...these tools will be alot like ridgid...everyone that gets it will be happy with it untill it breaks...and for the first couple of months people will rave about it but eventually the hype will wear down. I am going to treat it the same way I did the launch of Ridgid...wait and see.

Comment

We are supposed to get the Milwaukee 28 volt combo and the bosch 24 volt combo kit in the next few months. The Bosch kit is going for $599 and the Milwaukee kit is suposed to be around $750 to $800. I don't even think I will put them on the floor. Just Display them and sell them out of the overhead.I think there is a market out there for them but I don't see thwm flying off the shelf.
                      Jeff

Comment

That's alot of money I'm gona stay with my Ridgid for now since I already invested in them.I hear so much negative talk about some new tools I'm just gona sit on what I have today and see what hapens.

Be safe out there folks.

Bob B.
                        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                        Be safe out there folks
                        Bob B
                        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Myself and Bob have the same idea, I will weight until all bugs are worked out and after my bills are paid and a truck is purchased.

I would like to buy a older chevy/gmc and convert a diesel into a bifuel/diesel.

When I have the cash or ever start a HVAC/R business my fleet will all be the Didge or Freightliner Sprinter vans. I will add the car and driver review link whan I get back home for you guys/ladies to look at 30mpg and 5cyl. tubo diesel auto/shiftmatic very sweet.
                          Andrew S. DeCecco<br />Sunny D HVAC<br />archblackmage@yahoo.com<br />aim archblackmage

Comment

I SAW THE NEW MILWAUKEE 28 VOLT TOOLS AT OUR LOCAL PHCC TRADE SHOW 2 WEEKS AGO. WATCHED AS THE REP CUT UNISTRUT CHANNEL AS FAST AS A CORDED BANDSAW. WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE WAS THAT THE BATTERY HAS A 2 YEAR LIFESPAN MAX. AT APPROX. $170. EACH. PRETTY STEEP TO REPLACE EVERY 2 YEARS.
                            RICK

Comment

PLUMBER RICK

If the batteries last twice as long between charges then we are still getting a lot more bang for the buck. Plus if we are getting 40 to 50 percent more power and torque with the tool, that adds up to a lot more efficiency on the job. I'll probably just start with the impact wrench and maybe the sawzall since I just dropped a grand on a couple of 18v kits a few months ago. I like that band saw but want to see how it really holds up under heavy use before buying that. If they can run a band saw on their new platform then their hole hawg can't be too far behind.

The battery is guaranteed for two years so I cant see how its max life would equal its guarantee.

[ 03-14-2005, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: plumber ]

Comment

Working...
                              X