changes coming up!???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changes coming up!???

I had heard from a couple different people that Milwaukee tools are for sale and that Ridgid/TTI was going to buy them-does this mean Ridgid tools would be made by Milwaukee or that Milwaukee tools by Ridgid? I/we would love to have Milwaukee tools at Ridgid prices!

I hope this is only a bad rumor, I would hate to see the good Milwaukee name tarnished by the likes of the current Ridgid/TTI CS reputation and overall tool quality concerns. I have never heard of complaints like we have seen on this forum concerning Ridgid stationary power tools or their new portable line of cordless tools, though I admit there may be some. Every Milwaukee I own and have used has performed flawlessly with no complaints from me. As I posted recently in another thread, my Milwaukee Magnum Holeshooter 1/2" drill motor (model 0234-1) is still going strong after 15 years on the job where I use it regularly. Best $139 I ever spent. I have a Milwaukee 1/2" Hammer drill also that is tops, and my recently aquired Milwaukee 5616-20 2-1/4 Max HP EVS BodyGrip Router has not given me any cause for concern either.

Add to that another US company in the hands of a foreign conglomerate like TTI.

[update]
    it would seem it is too late, Milwaukee is part of Atlas-Copco, se below lifted from the Milwaukee web site;

"In 1995, Atlas Copco, a global industrial company headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden, acquired Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation and provided increased financial support and synergistic opportunities to compete in the international power tool market."

[ 05-26-2004, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Bob D. ]

Comment

Bob D.--
      yes, milwaukee is owned by atlas copco, but the tools are still manufactured for the most part in the US. Atlas Copco owns Milwaukee and AEG (european equivalent to Mil) but AC recently announced that the two companies are for sale. I was actually thinking of it differently, I would hope that ridgid could use milwaukee's service and distribution networks to improve on their seemingly only weak point! maybe im just dreaming....

Comment

Can't say as I've noticed any decline at all in the quality of Milwaukee tools since they were acquired by Atlas Copco. They've actually added some new tools to the line since then which have been very well accepted by the trades. Unlike Pentair who has publicly announced they are looking at the possibilities of selling Delta, Porer-Cable and DeVilbis, I don't believe that Atlas Copco has made any announcement concerning their desire to dump Milwaukee. Of course, secret negotiations happen all the time too.

[ 05-26-2004, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
        I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Maybe they'll change the color of Mil tools to pink!
          Hey, there are a lot of tools creeping up with colors and gizmos targeted for the female do-it-yourselfer. Maybe this is the chance to turn Mil tools into a line targeted at professional female woodworkers.

[ 05-26-2004, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: George ]

Comment

Badger Dave,

I didnt know that about Pentair! seems like this is a good time to get rid of tool businesses, much like what is happening in the commercial banking industry...the atlas copco website sums up their intentions pretty well--

www.atlascopco-group.com

have a good day!

Comment

Sherlock,

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more tool companies being offered for sale. With the retail prices of tools basically remaining the same over the last decade or so, I don't see how they manage to turn a profit at all. There will always be a market for high end tools but I'm afraid that in the not too distant future the number of high end tool manufacturers will decrease and the selling prices for those that remain will be much higher than we enjoy today.

TTI currently makes tools for Emerson, Sears, Matebo and god only knows who else. They also, as we all know, have their own line of Ryobi Tools. Adding Milwaukee and AEG to their list of subsidiaries would probably hardly dent their checkbook. One could probably very easily add Delta, Porter-Cable and DeVilbis to the list of companies that they are looking at too buy.

The world gets smaller everyday.
              I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

It means that Ryobi will now own Milwaukee, and that people looking for tools should equate Milwaukee quality with Ryobi Quality.

At least that's the way it worked with Ridgid when their line came out. (and I'm sure with DeWalt)

Comment

My post got zapped when I posted this earlier today so I will be real careful with the wording here.
                  OWT is only licensed to manufacture and sell Ridgid tools, it is very possible they desire more control that would come from actually purchasing a tool company.

I heard they were in the running for the Penair sell but that Black and Decker beat them out.

I would think OWT would love to buy a tool line that is established and has a known reputation then they can do the same as Black and Decker did with Dewalt. Make BD the home hobbiest tool and the Dewalt the professional line.

Interestingly I can remember a time when Ryobi was well thought of. They had a belt sander that everyone wanted. And their Planner AP10 was the darling of the woodworking world. Then their reputation started down hill. Not sure why I think marketing errors more than anything.
                  Rev Ed

Comment

Well, any time a well thought of company/line of products is sold, there's always a risk of diminished product quality or poor customer service. But I seriously doubt tool manufacturers could be hurting, at least from the market place. 1) While some commercial construction has slowed in the past few years, housing, at least out here, is still going strong----which means workers need tools. 2) you've got an entire generation of baby boomers retiring or ready to retire and many of them will be taking up hobbies like woodworking.

Just seems like it could be a good market.
                    Dave

Comment

I've been selling tools now for about fifteen years and I don't think there has been a decline in sales of tools at all. The thing about this business is, when building is going strong you sell alot of tools to contractors, when the homebuying slows down, then people tend to do more to stay in the home they are in. So therefore they buy more tools to do the projects themselves. There have been a few lulls in business over the years, but they usually don't last very long.
                      Jeff

Comment

CujOHD---you said it better than I did. I think about the only issue, over the last decade or so, has been competition for market share, from imports and from cut-rate places like Harbor Frieght or even Griz'. But even someone buying throw-away tools from HF or Cumings, has a way of translating into new sales on better products.

Frankly, once a tool is on the market, and is popular, you have to shop long and hard to find a deal below street price. That tells me the demand must be pretty good.

But, Pentair wouldn't be the first company making both industrial and consumer products to get rid of the consumer line. It's happened over and over in business history.
                        Dave

Comment

I hope the rumor is false. I don't own any Milwaukee tools, I'm not a professional and can't justify the cost, but I hate to see any more consolidation in this industry, given the B&D purchase of Pentair.

I say to the originator of this thread who was salivating over "Milwakee tools at Ridgid Prices", if this were to happen, reality would be more like "Ryobi Quality at Milwaukee prices".

Comment

the industry has been consolidating itself for the last couple of years. the only difference is now the companies have bought all the smaller competitors and now are looking around at the big names for acquisitions.

metabo is officially up for sale and it seems as though TTI has shown some serious interest. basically, TTI really needs a strong european brand name in order to establish itself as a global player!

but ive got to disagree with brazosjake , ryobi will inherit the quality designs and know-how from a top brand like milwaukee or metabo. the top brand will be able to lower their prices through synergies and sheer economies of scale, the result is higher quality at lower prices...

Comment

Sherlock:

You make some good points. But my guess is that if TTI bought Milwaukee you may see a lower price but why would they do that many people are buying Milwaukee at the higher price and they would have a slightly lower priced Ridgid and a home owner brand in Ryobi...what this really means is they will make a higher margin because their cost will be lower and the price the same. I feel that is the reason they would do it...I know we all dream that they would lower their prices and increase their quality but this would be an investment so they want to make money not make you happy. Do you invest in stocks to make the same amount of money? No you want to make more

Comment

Working...
                              X