Worm Drive Circular Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worm Drive Circular Saw

Saw a report today that RIDGID will shortly be coming out with a worm drive circular saw. Brandman, any truth in that?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

BadgerDave---well, since no one has answered from Ridgid----FWIW---Unless any new wormdrive is simply so much cheaper than the Skill---why would you even consider something other than the Skill, which everone raves about? If I needed on, it's what I'd get.
    Dave

Comment

I'm not considering getting one of those behemoth monsters. I'll leave the ownership of one of those CS's to those that possess a set of Popeye forearms. I just saw, in writing by the way, that RIDGID was coming out with one and wondered if it was true. My question was also a little test to see if the Moderator(s) was/are keeping current with the Forum. I don't read every thread posted but I can't remember the last time I've seen a post by some of the Moderators.
      I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Good points.

You're right---a wormdrive can give you a good upper body workout. Their biggest advantage is that they'll cut through just about anything, with much smaller risk of binding---but, I'd have to wonder if their shere weight is a part of this---or if it's more to do with the duribility of components.
        Dave

Comment

My sources tell me that the worm drive Ridgid will only be available on the west coast becuase that is where they sell best. At some point it may go into other markets. Worm drives are great saws.

Comment

daveferg,

Yes, they will cut through just about anything, but I'd have to say that their biggest advantage is for people who are left handed. (now if they could just get the safety switch on the proper side I'd be able to use one properly!!!)

Comment

i own the makita hypoyd saw. similar to the worm drive, but not a worm drive. awesome saw. i have used the skil as well.

they are heavy. the advantage to this is that it is easier to cut a straight line because of the weight! especially when ripping a board with it!

and i am right handed, i love the blade on the left side. when in use it is easier to see the line and see where you are cutting!
              \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Dusthead, I must disagree with your statement about left blade saws being better for left handers.

Quite the opposite is true. Right blade saws allow a user to use their left hand and look straight at the blade without leaning over the saw.

A left blade saw does the same for those users using their right hand on the saw. That is exactly why I, a righty, bought my Mag77.
                Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

Comment

Originally posted by K. L. McReynolds:
                  Quite the opposite is true. Right blade saws allow a user to use their left hand and look straight at the blade without leaning over the saw.
                  If that is the case, why do you suppose the safety switch on (most) right-blade saws is set up to be used by your right thumb?

I've owned many circular saws in my lifetime, and being a lefty, I can honestly say that worm-drives are the most comfortable for me to use and I get consistantly straighter cuts with them.

Comment

If you want a worm drive saw why would you not buy one that is proven it self over the years,why would you wait till ridge came out with one,not knowing how good it will be.

Comment

I am not considering anything but the bosch worm drive. Okay, maybe the bosch with the direct conect. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The Skil worm saw IS a good one, Bosch owns Skil, so what do you expect? also, one could conclude that because TTI (ridgid) works together with Bosch, the Ridgid version will be very similar to the Skil/Bosch version...any thoughts?

BTW, I am new here and think this forum is great!!

Comment

I bought the Bosch 1677md (direct connect). I haven't used it yet. I can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherlock:
                            [QB]one could conclude that because TTI (ridgid) works together with Bosch,.......
                            That is interesting and it certainly wouldn't surprise me. Do you happen to know what tools TTI makes for Bosch?

EDIT: By the way, welcome to the group.

[ 05-12-2004, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]

Comment

badgerdave,

unfortunately i don't know the extent of their partnership! but i do know that it is reciprocal, TTI helps Bosch and Bosch helps TTI. I am inclined to say that TTI would make something like accessories for Bosch. Metabo also has a connection to TTI but information about that is pretty scarce! If anyone else knows about TTI's collaborations I think we would all be interested to know!

Comment

Working...
                              X