X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID power pack not so RIDGID

I recently bought a 4 piece 18 v combo pack I used the drill 2 times and the chuck started stripping off my quick connects and my extensions so I called home depot and they said to take it to the service center. I took it to service and they called ridgid and was told that the distribution center did not have the part and did not know how long it would be to get the part plus they told the service center if he ordered the part and did not end up repairing my drill that there were no returns on the part and it is $63 and some change. So it was suggested to me from service plus an employee at home depot to take the pack back to Home Depot and get my money back cause that is not very good service from the manufactor. Plus they had had serveral come back for this problem. I thought this was a good tool I do a little contract work and was very excited about the warranty but if i cannot get the parts plus, I ruined $15.00 worth of quick connects it is not worth it. One other thing I was told by service and Home Depot after the fact of buying, is that the power pack is really made for home use and not at all for contractors, because the gears were not made of steel like makita and dewalt???
    Nathan
    Amarillo Tx.

[ 11-24-2003, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: nater ]

Makita gears are not made of steel. They are a combination of sintered iron, nylon and other plastic. I've had two transmissions go out on two Makita 12 volt drills; the 6213D and the 6227D. These are not high volt models. The speed selector on both have plastic pawls. I'd stay away from current Makitas. These drills were hardly used. The transmissions are a one piece unit and cost $30 each. My older 6222D and 6223D Makita single speed drills are still going strong. Guess, they don't make them like they used to.

Comment

The gears are made of steel.

What exactly do you mean about the quick connects? Is the chuck not tightening down on the quick connect? Or, is it to much power for the connect? If so, use the clutch ring.
      Let us know, im curious.

Originally posted by nater:
      I recently bought a 4 piece 18 v combo pack I used the drill 2 times and the chuck started stripping off my quick connects and my extensions so I called home depot and they said to take it to the service center. I took it to service and they called ridgid and was told that the distribution center did not have the part and did not know how long it would be to get the part plus they told the service center if he ordered the part and did not end up repairing my drill that there were no returns on the part and it is $63 and some change. So it was suggested to me from service plus an employee at home depot to take the pack back to Home Depot and get my money back cause that is not very good service from the manufactor. Plus they had had serveral come back for this problem. I thought this was a good tool I do a little contract work and was very excited about the warranty but if i cannot get the parts plus, I ruined $15.00 worth of quick connects it is not worth it. One other thing I was told by service and Home Depot after the fact of buying, is that the power pack is really made for home use and not at all for contractors, because the gears were not made of steel like makita and dewalt???
      Nathan
      Amarillo Tx.

Comment

Was wonderin about the clutch ring. 1-19 works great, after 19 drill locks up and smokes under load. I,ve already taken three of these drills back for the same reason and have tested display models on there functioning. Is this normal operation of the clutch or what. I've sent a post on this"exp.w/ridgid" bit never really got a response to this particular question. Would love some feedback. Thanx
        you can never have too many tools.

Comment

What exactly do you mean that it locks up under load? How much load? The smoke is some what normal, as stated on the forum elsewhere its the new brushes wearing in. My 12volt drill did it the first time I used it to take a bunch of long lag screws out of some wood. Hasn't done it since.
          I have a Standard grade Ridgid 18v drill that gets sort of stiff near the top end of the clutch settings, but it still clicks over to the drill setting, and there are no problems. Maybe my idea of a hard to move clutch ring, and someone elses interpretation of it are two different things. I have run into this with the quick change on the recip saw in the past. Someone stated their blade was stuck in the saw, the quick release was jammed. Turns out they were ***** footing around with it, and not really applying the needed force to get the new blade out of the saw.

Comment

I THINK that there may be a little flaw in this cluthch mech. why i say this is because i fix a lot of cordless drills. i am sure who ever makes the clutch mech. will solve this problem this year if it keeps happening and that trouble will go away. during a year i will get updates on tools from milw.,dewalt, makita,to changes they have made to tools to fix there performance and are told if a tool comes in with that specific problem to change it and warranty it.

Comment

Working...
            X