X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't want to wait for the ORANGE!

Hello all. Well I took the plunge today. After reading all I could find on the units, I decided to not wait for the NEW Ridgid tools to show up at my local HD. I just couldn't sell myself on all that orange. Luckily my local store still had some of the good ole gray on hand. I ended up taking home the Dp1550 drill press with Mortising kit, TP1300 planer/stand combo, and the JP06101 jointer. the jointer was the floor model so I got the last one in this region (lucky me!). It was run for a demo though and I noticed some small nicks in the knives so HD said they'd send me a new set as well as the missing owners manual. Had to adjust the outfeed table on the Jointer, in/out tables on the planer. Once set right, they work beautifully.Ran Red Oak, very dense/hard Honduras Mahogany, African Mahogany, Pine and even some Fir, couldn't be happier. Really glad I didn't go wih the 2 spd Delta planer and Craftsman jointer I'd been looking at. Mortising kit goes on easy enough and worked really well. Hope the new stuff meets all our expectations, still need a spindle sander!

You sure are fortunate to buy all those tools before the new orange junk came in. I still want a Ridgid jointer before it turns orange.

Orange is not all that you avoided. Your tools have a lifetime warranty. When orange hits, the warranty is a mere 3 years and its "too bad sucka, your're outta warranty."

Comment

The warranty was a big factor in the buying now decision. The 3yr warranty starting next year is still a good warranty when you consider other brands just have 1 or 2yr warranties, but sure am dissapointed to see the Ridgid brand name giving up the lifetime warranty. Maybe the new manufacturer knows something we don't!

Comment

Some months ago I started a thread concerning the lifetime warranty and what it really meant. At that time it was pointed out that the warranty covered manufacturing defects only for the lifetime of the tool. It does not nor did it ever cover normal wear and tear of parts. So,if a part has a manufacturing defect in it, the chances are pretty slim that it will take over 3 years to surface. Bottom line is, Lifetime Warranty is marketing hype and a 3 Year Warranty is better than most other companies. IMHO, RIDGID's warranty really hasn't changed all that much.

[ 09-02-2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave, agree that the 3yr Warranty is indeed better than most. I think that how soon a problem may show itself would depend on how much use a machine sees. If in a professional shop with lots of use it would be pretty early, but then again, I don't think many pro shops would be using a $400 ridgid jointer. More likely, a home user such as myself might take quite a while to rack up any real time on this machine, and this is when a lifetime warranty can really come in handy. .02

Comment

Working...
          X