Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandman...Ridgid @ The Woodworking Shows?

Any plans for the new line to be displayed at this years Woodworking Shows?

Kevin

Went to the one in Tacoma....Rigid was not present, neither was anyone who might ask for them. Too new. Not proven on the jobsite, let alone in the shop.

Comment

We won't be at woodworking shows this calendar year. Look for us in 2004. We will be at the Remodelers' Show this week in Baltimore.

As for jobsite - they have been tested for a year on jobsites. Pro input helped us reach the final product spec that you now see.

Comment

One year on jobsites and the final product is already on the market? Doesn't sound like much time was spent on research and development. I guess that's easy when you just change the color of the tool (from Ryobi blue or Metabo Green) and add a few cosmetic touches.

Comment

If only it were that simple. Guess if we followed that method we wouldn't have had to design new tools from the ground up.

Comment

What is it ?? Newbies and Oldies alike just gots to bash Ridgid tools and most of haven't used them yet. It seems like instead of running their tools they run their mouth. OOOOPPPPssss Just Monday I guess. Sorry Brandman. Rick

Comment

Yea, I don't get it. There isn't a single thing that I've seen that makes me think the Ridgid hand tools are copies of Ryobi. Also, there is a huge difference between Jobsite and research and testing department. If someone was using them for a year on teh job, that would take away some of my concerns.

Comment

I'm not trying to be short with some of the newbies postings and I sure don't want to be thought of as a Troll, but it just seems like they can't try Ridgid products but they can sure bash them. I have numerous Ridgid products in my shop and like and use them all. I have to admit that last Spring I did get spooked and got a jet saw instead of the 3612 I wanted. I am working on rectifing that To much thinkin' today. Rick

Comment

Mike3206, the tools were tested on jobsites prior to manufacturing runs begining. That is how we confirmed that we got the product specifications and performance right based on professional users input.

Comment

I work in sales and marketing for products and feel strongly that a year of testing a product in the field will yield quantifiable results. I wish we did that much on ours Good to hear Brand Man.
                    murph

Comment

Sorry to sound so negative in the earlier msg, guys. Without trying to sound like a "newbie," I would like to ask about the smoke that a lot of people talk about. In a year of hard testing, wouldn't that have been covered? Unfortunately I have seen the smoke coming from my buddies 18v on our site(drilling w/ a 2" hole saw). What causes this? And will it hurt the life of the tool?

Comment

Hey, I understand that RIDGID only did research for a year before selling tools, but what would you expect, that engineers would research tools and trades for 50 years before ever selling a tool?

Ridgid won't become Bosch overnight, I'm sure the tools, technology and research will improve over the ensuing years.

I'm curious Brandman, how many users did you research? Which tools were tested and how did they test? What types of tests were performed on the tools? How does Ridgid's testing regimen stack up to the competition's testing? Does the competition even do jobsite testing?

I'm interested in hearing the answers...it gives us some ammo when the trolls start up again.

RIDGID MAN #1

Comment

I just wanted to add something. they said they did about a year of research with there tools being used which isnt bad. but they did a very good job in the marketing of ther tools. the team new that metabo was not widely seen by the average home owner. so when the design team did there thing with the corded tools i think they hit the jack pot. i hope they perform like the metabo.i dont have many power tools. i plan on starting to learn to make things now instead of just fixing. i am going to buy a circular saw today,myHD has the ridge for 111.00 and the milwaukee 7.25 for 131.00 but i can get the milw. at work for 121.00 so i have to decide.(I wish we sold ridgid power tools but we were told we would just be foot soildgers ror HD).

Comment

FWIW my company, when we release a new piece of equipment, run for years with design changes and proto types. Once we think we have it it goes to factories chosen for their work load. Even after 6-12 months of in the field work it is invariable that when the first units hit the plants a new wave of bugs pop up. It is very improbable you will have a bug free item when released. Thats just the way it is. Everyone treats thier equipment different. The variables are endless. I think a year of jobsite use for these Ridgid tools was more than enough. It wouldn't suprise me if they spent at least that much time on the pre production work. Hell it wouldn't suprise me if they spent three times that long on the pre production work. John

Comment

Working...
                            X