Makita's New Tools!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve,

So, what you are saying is that Makita has a yet to be announced reciprocating saw that has been compared to Milwaukees last generation Super Sawzall? Has it been compared to their newest 13amp SawZall? Why is it every one keeps talking about all of these secret Makita tools that are not even on their website? Where are the published comparison charts with their listings of exact model numbers of each tool compared.

I've been making my living with tools also as my father before me and his before him. I still have some of my fathers old Milwaukee tools . There is one heck of a lot more to a SawZall than whether or not you feel a little bit of vibration in your hands. If it is allowed on this site I will wager $1000.oo that my available Milwaukee Sawsall will completely outperform your available Makita reciprocating saw. The last Makita reciprocating saw(they cant call it a sawzall because thats a trademarked name by the way) I used was a joke.

How fast can it cut a 2x12 seasoned and treated joist? How well will it work after being soaked with water about 150 times? or dropped twenty feet from a lift? How many amps is the motor rated for? Is it counter balanced? How easy is it to change a damgaged cord, can it be done in 5 seconds or less? What is its warranty? What country is it made in? Will it stand up to repeated over heating? Can I buy it for less than 200 bucks? Will the handle rotate while the saw is in action for better control and comfort while cutting in awkward postions? How long is the cord?

Makita has some competent tools but their highest end reciprocating saw has never compared well to Milwaukees. Yes the company that bought Milwaukee also owns Ryobi, a situation I am not at all pleased with. But the same company that makes that little Ford Aspire thingy also makes the Lincoln Continental and Superduty trucks. And hot dogs and fillet mignons both come from the same cow.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

WOW

I was not aware that Milwaukee sold out. I thought they were still their own entity. I know some of their tools were made by Sioux power tools but most were made by milwaukee right here in the good old USA. That is something. I just learned Dewalt bought porter cable and delta. But that aside the tools will still be made to milwaukee's spec's.

And i'd be willing to bet my milwaukee would out perform ANY makita recip saw ever made or anything that will ever be made!
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Makita does have an add in the June/July issue of Wood promoting the new MXT series cordless drills, it boasts of 560 in. lbs. of torque, 3 speeds and metal planetary gears.

Woodslayer

[ 05-12-2005, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: woodslayer ]

Comment

Originally posted by spacebluesonoma:
          WOW

I was not aware that Milwaukee sold out. I thought they were still their own entity. I know some of their tools were made by Sioux power tools but most were made by milwaukee right here in the good old USA. That is something. I just learned Dewalt bought porter cable and delta. But that aside the tools will still be made to milwaukee's spec's.

And i'd be willing to bet my milwaukee would out perform ANY makita recip saw ever made or anything that will ever be made!
          They haven't been self owned for years. They were owned by a European corp. that was big in the mining industry. they decided to put their tool group up for sale and TTi bought it. It doesn't mean they will ruin Milwaukee, if anything maybe Ridgid will get better.

[ 05-13-2005, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Cuj0HD ]
          Jeff

Comment

I have not used any of the new ridgid power tools. I am wanting to pick up a bigger ros and looking at the ridgid. Few other companies out there make them and as i mentioned i like makita but they have made my boycott list due to a grossly unsafe tool i had a problem with a few years back, made them aware of it, and they have yet to address it! So no more money to makita until they fix that problem!

Comment

SPACE, YOU KEEP MENTIONING ABOUT A MAKITA TOOL BEING UNSAFE. WHAT TOOL IS IT, AND WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?
              IS IT THEIR 16'' BEAM SAW?
              I HAVE A BOSCH 14'' CUT OFF SAW. NOT A BIG FAN OF THIS SAW. CAN'T SEEM TO KEEP A 20 AMP BREAKER FROM TRIPPING WHEREVER I'VE ATTEMPTED TO USE IT. MY GAS 14'' SAW IS MUCH EASIER. PROBLEM IS IT'S DANGEROUS TO USE INDOORS. I WANTED IT FOR CUTTING CONCRETE INDOORS. FOUND A SKILL SAW WORKS OK. DOESN'T TRIP BREAKERS AND WILL CUT 2.5'' DEEP. THE 14'' WAS GOOD FOR 4.5'', BUT NEVER HAD ANY LUCK AS I MENTIONED EARLIER.
              SO WHAT IS IT & WHY.
              RICK.

Comment

My apologies all, I thought I mentioned it. Must have been in another thread. Makita's Biscuit Joiner is unsafe. I learned this the hard way. Most mfgrs use 2 countersunk screws in the back to hold the bottom plate up and seal access to the blade. Makita uses a single washer and knob with a screw on it to secure the plate. I was doing some work one day and that knob rattled loose from the vibration. I slipped and not knowing it was open the blade introduced itself to my hand. Not too badly hurt, took a small chunk out of one of my fingers that should have gotten stitches but that is a different story for a different time. The skin grew back and for a while i had an indentation in my finger tip, the skin grew back, i just have a small scar. This was back in 2002. Last time I looked they never changed it despite me bringing it to their attention. I sold mine and got a different brand, much happier!

Comment

Alright plumber,

to answer your questions....Yes makita will be announcing a new line of reciprocating saws in the next couple of months and will target Milwaukees recip saws. Yes it Has it been compared to their newest 13amp SawZall? Of course it wont be on the website yet, cause I like I said they wont be released till July. You asked," Where are the published comparison charts with their listings of exact model numbers of each tool compared". I have a set of them.

Now you said this "If it is allowed on this site I will wager $1000.oo that my available Milwaukee Sawsall will completely outperform your available Makita reciprocating saw." PAY UP!!! PAY UP!!! I would love to show you! I had milwaukee super sawzall...and I got rid of it once I had the makitas in my hands.
                  You also asked "How fast can it cut a 2x12 seasoned and treated joist"? Close to 50% faster! We timed it! And that would be close. You asked "How many amps is the motor rated for"? Your answer is 15amps. Is it counter balanced? Yes it counter balanced. How easy is it to change a damgaged cord, can it be done in 5 seconds or less? Of course all makitas can be changed that easily. What is its warranty? 1 year like all Makitas. What country is it made in? USA...Will it stand up to repeated over heating? A GOOD TOOL DOESNT OVER HEAT...TIME AND TIME AGAIN!!!! Can I buy it for less than 200 bucks? YES, $179.00 Will the handle rotate while the saw is in action for better control and comfort while cutting in awkward postions? So you are saying that the Milwaukee's is uncomfortable....the makitas isnt.

Any more questions????????????

Comment

Here is jus a bit more info on the "AVT" Model # JR3070CT

* Anti- Vibration Technology (AVT)
                    -Counterbalance system that reduces vibration to only 10m/s squared

* 15amp motor
                    * Electronic speed control
                    * clutch
                    - protects the gears should the blade binds
                    * Orbital action
                    - 4 settings to choose from for high speed cutting
                    * Variable Speed dial
                    - 6 settings to match the application
                    * Tool- less blade change
                    * shoe is adjustable to 5 different positions
                    * Dust and water proof design
                    - air from motor fan keeps dust from entering tool and rubber and felt seals keep out dust and water for longer tool life.

Comment

First off I would like to say a " Thankyou" goes out to Steve the Builder.....to back me up on the the recips! You all will see when you get a chance to try them out.

And secondly, this goes out to "spacebluesonoma"

I dont know what you did, but you must have not tightend down the knob to the blade...cause I have had one for 6 years and have never had that problem of the cover coming open. But the main question is... why in the heck was your hand on the bottom? Or by the bottom of the plate joiner? You should have been holding it the right way around the barrell, back by the cord area and the other hand on the HANDLE....HANDLE!!!! And you would of never had that problem..........and I know your going to say " I was".....you couldnt of have! All the reviews have loved it for years and they dont ever gripe about it! I love mine! Now we all know why warning labels are on things!

Comment

Packers,

No not exactly. My hand was on the handle (right hand) and left hand was on the barrell. I am comfortable (balance wise) with my hand just behind the plate. On the way back I often loosen my grip and let it slide back. Not drop down, but slide back. As this one slid back it slipped. My finger met the blade. I was really new to woodworking at that time and I might have made a technique error. But there should not be the possibility that the blade guard could open. If that had happened on my freud (which I own now), i would not have been cut. Nor the dewalt, pc, ryobi, etc! EVERY OTHER MFGR seals this compartment with screws on the bottom. Why do you suppose that is?? Actually it has been so long i don't remember if it slipped on the way in or the way back. That doesn't matter. What matters here is that makita makes a biscuit joiner that protects it's blade with only a thumb screw and washer on the back applying pressure. They are only meant to be tightened so tight. No indication that it should require pliers or any other tool.

I am glad you are pleased with your tool and that you have not had an issue with it. I was not hurt bad. Could have been much worse.

But right, wrong, or indifferent, and no disrespect meant, there is a reason that all the other mfgr's use screws on the bottom. Hell even Harbor Freight's 39.00 Chicago Electric uses screws! Makita has a bad design on this particular tool. Or maybe I just got a bad one. Maybe the threads were not cut right and the knob, even when tightened was loose in the hole. This is a possibility too.

But even so, All the other mfgr's use screws from the bottom. Makita is the only one that makes them this way!

Comment

well maybe so, but I love mine. Dont have a problem with it, and I wont change. Sorry to hear you had a problem but you do have to agree that the makita was sure a nice tool before that happened! Right! Then why does all woodworkers and all the reviews love that tool! But you do have to agree that it is alot easier to change and access that blade.

Comment

check it out!

Take a look at:
                            New line of recips and the "AVT" Recip (Model# JR3070CT)
                            New line of cordless drill line called the "MXT"
                            The new bandsaw (Model# 2107FK)

They are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.makita.com/NewProducts_Tree_View.asp

Comment

Okay packers lets see if we have this all straight.

Exactly when did you own Milwaukees new 13 amp sawzall that you claim to have "got rid of" when Makita introduced this supernatural wonder that you worship so? When will your saw even be available?

Makita has a one year warranty? Milwaukee has a five year warranty. Why?
                              50% faster than what,(model numbers please) and where and when did you time it and what certified independent agency did the testing? Please post answer.

All saws used in tight quarters and in akward positions will benefit from a handle that can change postions while still cutting. Your little stab at a shot about comfort shows your absolute ignorance about the actual professional use of power tools.

You want me to pay up when I have not even seen one? My bet was comparing tools that were available, yours is not available at least not yet. You say you have these test results, show them and quit the games. Since you have such great access to these wonderful tools what is your position with the Makita? Why not publish all the data? Where does it say anything about being counter balanced? AVT tech does not necessarily mean counter balanced, for all I know you put a shock absorber in the handle.

All tools can get over heated when used in heavy production especially when they are ten and fifteen years old and even when new depending on the task at hand and the sometimes spotty quality of electrical current on a construction site. Only someone who never sees how tools are actually used would ever make the claim you just did.

I looked at your link to Makita. Your new saw looks like it is competent and will probably sell for you. I saw nothing there that would change my opinion that Milwaukees newest sawzall is the best reciprocater one can own and certainly nothing that will cause it to kick butt. 15 amps is interesting I'll give you that but how its applied is very important. Now that the general public at least knows of their existence we can begin to fairly compare the two. Until you posted that link all we had to go on was your fairy tale. And your absolutely groundless accusation that Milwaukess sawzalls ground their gears away prematurely when I know better gave you zero credibility.

Also Steve the Builder states that your new saw was compared to Milwaukees super sawzall. Not their newest model. Not an accurate description of your claim. Again, Please post all independent tests including model numbers.
                              Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

the only thing i have to say about this sawzaw is if you think it is better than a milw. than they have used milw. tech ,to make there saw as good as the milw.because if it is built like the old makitas then it will not compare to milw.
                                A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Working...
                                X