New R5010 Driver Drill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New R5010 Driver Drill

Well, I took the plunge and bought the Ridgid R5010 Driver Drill last night ($159 - 10% off coupon). I have yet to plug it in, but I have a project in my basement workshop that requires a lot of drilling in the concrete block walls, so it will be getting a good workout shortly.

The other units that I compared the R5010 to were Milwaukee ($139), Dewalt ($149) , Bosch ($159) , and Makita ($99, if I remember right). The first three required a key for bit changes, where the R5010 does not. Also, but not as important to me, the Ridgid unit had the highest amp rating (9.0) of the group. Without any other reviews to go on, that is what made the sale with me.

First impressions are mixed at this point. The manual is weak (aren't they always), and annoyingly, one of the pins was missing from the plastic storage case (a 2 1/2" finishing nail fit nicely). The drill is very full featured, like almost too many settings to choose from. It would have been nice if the manual had a suggested settings section for different materials.

I'll swallow my pride and admit that I had been one of those who had poked fun at the orange color when I first heard about it. I believe I said something to the effect that it must be a theft deterent feature, or something like that. Well, I like the new color! It is a very muted orange and not offensive to the eye at all.

Like I said above, I'm hoping to put it to use this weekend, so I'll let you know how it works out.

Paul

Just to follow up, overall I give this drill high marks. However, since I've never used anyone else's hammer drill, I can't compare Ridgid's to other brands. Let me say, it is a wonderful improvement compared to drilling holes in concrete block with a regular drill. I would estimate that it reduced drilling time from about 3 minutes per hole to about 15 seconds or less. That is nice.

The noise level was very comfortable, and it felt smooth in my hands, with very little vibration. On the minus side, there is a knob on the side for switching between the low and high range of torque. This did not turn easily. In fact, I thought I was going to have to take the drill back because the first time I tried to turn it, it stuck half way around. However, I found by twisting the collet slightly while turning this knob allowed it to get switch positions.

I have lots more holes to drill, so I'll let you know if anything else surfaces.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul M.:
      ... On the minus side, there is a knob on the side for switching between the low and high range of torque. This did not turn easily. In fact, I thought I was going to have to take the drill back because the first time I tried to turn it, it stuck half way around. However, I found by twisting the collet slightly while turning this knob allowed it to get switch positions...
      Thanks, Paul.
      I believe that the owner's manual has a small note about that. I think the reason is that you are engaging different gears when you turn the knob so you might have to rotate the chuck slightly while turning the knob to engage the teeth. I'm thinking about getting that little toy myself. I appreciate the personal review.

Comment

Paul, I too just picked up the r5010, I was in the same boat as you. When you used your drill did the chuck seem to hold the bit tight? What size holes were you making? I just get concerned that the keyless chuck is going to slip in cement?

thanks!

Comment

Titan,
          If memory serves me right, I was drilling 1/4" holes. I did not have any slippage from the chuck, and it released easily when I changed bits. My experience with this drill has been good.

Paul

Comment

Working...
          X