X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who did the designing?

I am very interested to know what company does the research and development for this new line of tools? Does Ridgid do the R&D and then have OWT build the tools, or does OWT do it all and simply liscence the Ridgid name?

Don't know who did the designing, but they sure did a good job didn't they!!! I'll buy more Ridgid tools. Rick [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

The designing is good. Many people have been slamming the new tools for many reasons. I have the new jigsaw and it is overall the best for the price, even if it is a little overpriced, but I look at it as paying about $10 for a lifetime warranty.
      As for the other tools, they appear to be at least as good as the similarly priced competition. No company's products are all top products, but ridgid does a good job.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

WHO did the designing. lets see . the 4.5 inch grinder looks just like the metabo but a different color. the cordless hammerdrill looks very much like the dewalt and the jig saw looks like the bosch. so all of the tools were designed off of everything out there. thats who did the designing. maybe i will come out with a tool line and paint them purple. i hope you dont consider the truth as bashing ridge because as you i am a ridge guy.

Comment

The corded tools are Metabo (jig saw, hammerdrill, 1/2" drill). The circ saw and all of the cordless and Mitre saws are TTI - the same manufacturer of Ryobi and Craftsman. I did some research. OWT is a joint venture with TTI, Metabo and a few others.

Comment

You'll appreciate the attention to detail. One of the things I like best about my Ridgid cordless is the rubber pads on all sides of the drill.

If you're doing any sort of cabinet work with fine, finished wood, worry no more about scuffing or scratching the surface when laying down the drill. A small bit of "peace of mind"...

Comment

After using my new 18V reciprocating saw today to trim branches that were overhanging the roof...I have come to the option that this saw was designed and tested by a basketball team...They are the only ones I can think of that would have hands big enough to use the trigger switch and safety lock...As I'm only 6'3 my thumb will not reach the slide safety switch..So I have to use my index finger to hold it in leaving me with not to good of a grip on the handle..

But it did cut all that I wanted to cut, about 15 2-3" branches on one battery...

I wonder if I could drill a hole in the safety switch and put a pin into it to hold it in the run position with out voiding the warranty?

Comment

I hate to play devil's advocate,but why should I buy a Ridgid 14.4V cordless drill flashlight combo when I can buy a Hitachi(Chinese made also) combo for $89.99 at Lowe's?

The same goes for the Chinese Hitachi recip. saw at 10amps for $99.99?

Can you sell me on the Ridgid tools?

Comment

OWT??????

Comment

Hey I was just looking at my member rating. I see that a star was removed and I think it's because I raised the possibility of Ridgid being related closely to Ryobi in terms of being the same product. I think someone got cheese off about it and reduced my rating. Can't say that I really care that much anyway, just thought it was fascinating.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jones31:
                      OWT??????
                      Owls With Teeth......or One World Technologies. i'm not sure which.

BTY, i gave you a 5 star in hopes of bumping you back up, but you're still at 4 star. it's a silly little rating system anyway.

RMMcbride, the reach on the circular saw safety is kinda cumbersome also. i like your modification idea, but would hate to lose the lifetime warrenty for a reason like that.

[ 12-08-2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Caspian ]

Comment

Thanks Cas, I agree about the rating system. I haven't felt any animosity against anyone for the bad ratings and nothing but thanks for the good ones. I hope that I can rectify the matter with some good ol' fashioned veiled comments relating to the relaibility about the Ridgid line when I get one.

Thanks again

Comment

Sweet looking Case. Really sweet, looks pretty tough as well. No sissy cases here..... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Should the case have the "Ridgid" name physically moulded in the case? Paint or a sticker will wear off after the 30+ years i plan on using my tools. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Caspian

Comment

A Physical molding would be better I think. It would appeal to people that take care of the cases better than others and yeah 30+ years from now you would still see the mighty "Ridgid Logo". Wonderful.

Comment

Working...
                              X