X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Miter Saw Blade

I'm a novice woodworker and am looking for either an 80T or 90T blade for crown molding and trim work on my compound miter saw.

I'm looking at Oldham, Freund, and Ridgid blades and would like to get some suggestions.

Thanks,
    Steve Scott

I get glass smooth results with the Freud LU85R010 80T blade. If you CMS is a 12"er then it would be a LU85R012.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave, what do you have a Freud catalog next to the keyboard?
      You always know the model number of a particular blade, amazing.
      I'm not complaining just curious how you know them so well.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Hi, my name is Dave and I'm a catalog junkie. Yes, I do have a Freud catalog within arms reach as well as a few more. Even the Internet hasn't been able to cure me of this terrible urge to feel paper in my hands.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

The "best" miter saw blade is likely from Forrest IMO, but any from the brands you mentioned should work well. Freud makes the Ridgid and is likely to be similar.

You'll likely want a blade with a low to negative hook angle. Many general purpose/crosscut blades have a more aggressive hook and can be more prone to grabbing the wood on a CMS. Freud makes the F80 that has 80 teeth with a HiATB grind for ultra clean cutting and a 2 degree hook. ~ $35 on Ebay...~$70 retail.

Ebay often has some great deals blades...you'll often get them for 50-60% of retail. New Year's eve and day ought to give you some advantage in the bidding...

There are still several blades left from a Leitz distributor who's been selling closeouts at great prices on Woodnet. They're very comparable to many of the better Freud blades and are getting alot of positive feedback for great value.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...v=#Post2064042
            Last edited by hewood; 01-01-2006, 11:15 AM.

Comment

The Freud LU85R012 boasts right on the blade “PRODUCES GLASS SMOOTH CUTS” and it delivers on that claim.

Woodslayer

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave
                Hi, my name is Dave and I'm a catalog junkie. Yes, I do have a Freud catalog within arms reach as well as a few more.
                HI DAVE ! !

Got your Griz catalog yet?
                I don't.

PS Shouldn't you be out lookin' fer yur critter?
                Lorax
                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Thanks alot Lorax, I had totally forgotten that this is around the time that the new Griz catalogs come out. I haven't received mine yet either but now, thanks to you, all those horrible memories of the mail carrier "stalking incident" of last year have bubbled up to the surface. I sure hope that TRO has expired.

On a more positive note, I'm hoping that the critter will find its way home on Tuesday. For some reason, it appears that the search team looking for my critter thought they needed a little R&R.

Comment

Lorax
                    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave
                      Hi, my name is Dave and I'm a catalog junkie. Yes, I do have a Freud catalog within arms reach as well as a few more. Even the Internet hasn't been able to cure me of this terrible urge to feel paper in my hands.
                      Awful hard to replace the paper "feel" in the bathroom - even with a wireless laptop! It's just not the same!
                      Catalogs (or magazines) are awesome material for such uses.
                      Phil
                      Tools Rule

Comment

I get it now! Nice one Lorax

Yeah yeah yeah I finally get the yellow key thing (just bought a TS2400-1).

Anyways I'm starting some more crown tomorrow - I'm not really planning on buying a new blade for it (I've got sandpaper ) but I do have a number of blades available, so I was wondering which one I should use for the crown. The crown, btw, is that pre-primed MDF stuff, not real wood.

I have the 40T Ridgid that came with my CMS; the 24T Ridgid that came with my TS (I'm guessing NO); a 100t Oldham that I originally bought for my old Dewalt miter saw (this thing's so old, not only is it not compound, but it was made by dewalt but isn't yellow!), and the 90t Titanium-3 ridgid that I'm currently using to rip Pergo.

I'm guessing that after I'm done with the Pergo, the 90t t3 will be about at the same mildy-abused-level as the Oldham blade.

So what'll it be?

Comment

I would experiment with the 90 & 100 tooth blades to see which one yields the smoothest cuts and stick with that one.

Woodslayer

Comment

Working...
                          X