Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new power source for pneumatic tools ?

Was looking around on eBay and came across this so I looked up their web site. Take a look if you use a pneumatic tool on the job, it might be of interest to you. Looks a lot easier than setting up and dragging around a compressor from job to job or up on a roof.

For those that may be curious, I have no interest in this company and know nothing about them other than what I found on their site and eBay.

www.nicopneumatics.com

From their FAQ:

1. The New Matic Power Source what is it?

[A] A portable lightweight 20 ounce to 35 ounce CO2 pressurized bottle fitted with a fail safe brass regulator set at 90 to 110 psi. with a universal quick connect coupling that fits a triggered pneumatic air tool. The Power Source is mounted on a comfortable waist belt.

1/14/06 - Fixed some typos.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Sounds like a good idea, but there is no mention on thier site about how many shots per fill of the tank.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Yeah, I saw that too, and it seems like an important piece of info. They do say that the tanks are refillable at a paintball supply or I guess just about any place that can refill CO2 tanks. They also mention a refill kit that you can setup for yourself.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      ---------
      ---------

Comment

Looks interesting but I think there are a few draw backs for us northern folk. As a CO2 tank gets colder the available pressure drops dramatically.
        A full 20 OZ tank contains about 6.8 OZ of liquid CO2. CO2 expands at approx 3000X from liquid to gas and at room temp the tank pressure would be about 850 PSI. My Ridgid framer uses 0.14 CU FT of air per shot so I calculate about 1238 shots per tank (6.8 OZ liquid = 20.4 CU FT gas, multiply by the pressure differential factor {850/100=8.5} and you have 173.4 CUFT/ 0.14 CUFT/shot = 1238 shots (I think)

Now at 20 F the tank pressure is only 422 PSI so your multiplier is now only 4.2 so you only get 612 shots.

Don't forget that with each shot the co2 'boils' which further cools the tank.

Now the other way, a roofer in the summer will see his full tank hit the pressure relief limit ~ 2200PSI at about 130 F (easily reached on a roof during a sunny summer day)

Comment

The CO2 in the tank absorbs heat from the surrounding air, the moisture in the air condenses on the tanks outer surface and the temperature differential on the tank surface causes it to freeze forming ice(frost).

As the tank takes on heat from the air during use (frost develops on the tanks outer skin) that heat transfers into the liquid CO2 causing it to morph to a gaseous state (latent heat of vaporization, we don't need to delve into the math and calculate the BTUs required do we?) The work capacity of the tank may be reduced, but I don't think it would be half what it would be at STP (70F, 14.7 PSIA). I agree that the tank pressure will rise when subjected to the higher temps as would be seen on a roof, will it occur at 130F I don't know, did you actually calculate this Wayne?

V1 / T1 = V2 / T2 (Charles's Law)
          Last edited by Bob D.; 01-04-2006, 03:15 PM.
          ---------------
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

Yes, I used a combination of Charles Law and Boyle's Law IPresure/FPressure=FVol/IVol.
            Since this is all paint ball gun technology I looked around on some of there sites since they play in all environments and found this chart
            Attached Files

Comment

Hmmmm....
              If I were to go to the local welders supply, could/would they fill a tank w compressed air? Is there some reason CO2 is a better bet? Would the regulator cost so much that this would become a stupid idea instead of dragging a portable electric compressor down 1/4 mile of marina docks?
              Or...
              How much work could one expect from two or 3 dive tanks?

Comment

What pressure is the tank at? 2400psi 3000psi 3500psi Pressure tanks require care and attention and don't deal with getting dropped really well. any blow to a tank that causes a dent can render the tank unusable. All pressure tanks in use in the US and Canada require hydrostatic pressure testing every five years or they can not be filled. Most welding shops or scuba shops that have compressors will not fill a tank if it has not been inspected or shows signs of a blow or dent that may affect the tank integrity. High pressure tanks require much more carefull treatment than 125psi air compressors due to the much higher tank pressures.

my 0.02 worth.

Comment

Youz guyz all raise good questions and have some great comments about this setup in the field. However I know nothing about this system other than what I posted when I started this thread. If you are really considering this system best to go to their web site and drop them an email or call. You would think they would be at the Builder's Show as it makes its way around the country showing this thing off, but I don't know. Their web site is still under development so not much info there.
                  ---------------
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

I have been looking at these systems and thinking about building my own ever since this thread started. I have found a few other companies but this one seems to be the most affordable of the ones I have found. https://www.airzonerecreation.com/in...ducts/mk-5.htm They have an inflation chart on thier website that has a little more info... It seems the caluclations above by wbrooks are incorrect, at least according to this websites calculations. 110 shots from a 20 OZ tank with a framer gun pulling 0.10 CFM/cycle. In my research I have found that I cannot get CO2 regulators from a welding supply store that work with the paintball tanks. The pin in the middle is specific to paintball industry. I did look into regulators in that industry and good adjustable ones run about $220. Not a savings over these other systems at all. I am still thinking about getting a regular CO2 regulator fixed at 150 PSI ($37) and buying a 2.5# (40 OZ) CO2 tank ($55) and a 1/4" adjustable regulator ($20) and a quick disconect ($2-4) and cut some off my 100' hose to make a hose a little longer than my reach. Around $116 for this setup with one tank. The drawback to this setup is that the tanks are a little more spendy ($55 ea) 20 OZ bottles are around $20 ea or less if bought in bulk. I know that I would like to have a couple of tanks handy. If wbrooks calculations are accurate (1200 shots on average with the 20 OZ tank) I would rather go with a 20 OZ set up and have maybe 4-6 bottles given that it would be lighter to cary around all day. Any one else shed some light on this subject?
                    Colorado Deck and Framing - When perfection is demanded

Comment

Should have mentioned this in my previous post but from the website listed above. You should be able to get 500+ shots from a trim gun pulling 0.02 cfm/cycle from 1 20 OZ tank.
                      Colorado Deck and Framing - When perfection is demanded

Comment

Working...
                      X