X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my R2500 sander problem just me?

Hello, I just bought the R2500 palm sander. I chose this model because its 2.5" hookup is compatible with my shop vac. While at the store, I also bought some sandpaper that is supposed to be pre-cut to the standard size that palm sanders use (something like 4.5" x 5.5", but don't quote me on that).

I had a very difficult time installing the paper onto the sander. It seems to me that the paper is **just barely** long enough to reach under the clips. The instructions say to place 1/4" of sandpaper under the first clip, but for me even this is too much. If I have more than 1/16" under the first clip, the other edge won't even reach the second clip. As you can imagine, it takes a lot of fussing and fidgeting to get the alignment this precise.

Does anybody else have this problem? Is there some secret to getting the paper to fit more easily? I know, I could buy adhesive paper and not use the clips at all, but this isn't my first choice. I could also buy big sheets of paper and cut them a little longer than the pre-cut paper, but that also wouldn't be my first choice. There's got to be an easier way to load the standard pre-cut sandpaper.....
    Steve Goldstein<br /><a href=\"http://www.steveweb.net\" target=\"_blank\">www.steveweb.net</a>

4&#189; x 5&#189; precut paper should work. It kinda sounds like you may be placing more than &#188;" of paper under the clip. I had that same type of problem when I got my first &#188; sheet finish sander. After installing the paper a few time it becomes easier and eventually automatic.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

[quote=sgoldste01] If I have more than 1/16" under the first clip, the other edge won't even reach the second clip. As you can imagine, it takes a lot of fussing and fidgeting to get the alignment this precise. quote]

Sounds to me like your sander doesn't accept standard pre-cut paper.
      It could be as simple as that.
      Lorax
      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I have the R2500 too, but I've never tried precut sandpaper with it. I just buy full sheets and fold them in half and cut them myself. I don't have any problems with this method.

Comment

I haven't had any difficulty whatsoever with this 1/4 sheet sander. Reason I bought it was because of the economy and flexibility of using quartered sheets, as well as, other materials like Scotchbrite.

Personally though, I haven't purchase "pre-cut". For the cost difference, it takes but a couple of minutes to cut almost a full package of full-size sheets, and then I store them in the case. I've yet to have any problem with mounting. Could it be that the "precut" sheets were a bit shorter than standard?

CWS

Comment

Working...
          X